Another one from Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jammero

Assistant Cook
Just ran across this forum and from what I have seen so far it is a place where I can sure learn alot.
At home my wife does the cooking in the kitchen and I do the cooking outside on the smoker or the grill but when we go camping, which is quite often, she usually is the one that handles the food.
We just got a deep 12" Dutch Oven that I hope we will both enjoy using while camping.
I am hoping to find DO and camping recipes that I can practice on here under the awning to treat her with so she can relax in camp instead of her having to do all of the cooking.
We have a few interesting recipes that we can contribute on occasion and are looking forward to learning what we can here.

Hi, Jammero. Welcome to DC. There are quite a few camping/Dutch oven cooks here. You might want to pick Uncle Bob's brain. Take a gander at his photos of his outdoor "kitchen." Pretty neat. This is a fun place. Just jump in and become part of our family. We're glad you've found us.

All right, another outdoor DO enthusiast! Welcome, welcome, come right in and pull up some coals! This site has a great outdoor cooking section, as well as a section dedicated to DO cooking outdoors. I’ve recently started getting into DO cooking, and it is a BLAST!

We also have some tried and true experts with campfire cooking like Uncle Bob and Garry. As well as many outdoor grillers and smokers. I actually found DC by searching on Google for a “grilled meatloaf” and have stayed here ever since. Great place, and you’ll love it.

Cooking on the DO is actually rather easy, and with just a little practice, you’ll have it down in no time, and will be able to easily convert “standard” recipes to outdoor DO recipes.

Thank's for the welcome Uncle Bob, Katie E and keltin. The idea of a grilled meatloaf sounds interesting keltin. I tried to check out the photos of your outdoor "kitchen" Uncle Bob as Katie E suggested but for some reason I couldn't gain access. I'll try again later.

Welcome Jammero. Where in Texas are you located? If you're really interested in Dutch oven cooking, you might check out the Lone Star Dutch Oven Society. We have chapters all across the state of Texas, as well as nine other states. Most chapters get together once a month for a Dutch oven gathering (referred to as a DOG), which is kinda like a potluck where we cook, trade tips and recipes, and share some amazing food! Many chapters also put on cooking demonstrations at various locations throughout the year. Visitors are always welcome!

Thank's for the welcome Uncle Bob, Katie E and keltin. The idea of a grilled meatloaf sounds interesting keltin. I tried to check out the photos of your outdoor "kitchen" Uncle Bob as Katie E suggested but for some reason I couldn't gain access. I'll try again later.

Grilled meatloaf’s are easy. Just put together your favorite recipe, then start the coals on an 18 to 22 inch Weber kettle. Bank the coals to one said, and put the meatloaf on the other side. Add soaked wood or a foil pack of wood, and let it cook for 1.5 hours.

In a water smoker, start a medium fire, remove the water pan, and put the loaf in. It’s high enough over a low heat so it won’t burn. Cook it for 1.5 hours with wood smoke.

Basically, you use the grill/smoker as a hot oven. The temp should be around 375 to 425…..much hotter than smoking since we are baking with smoke. And it is great! It’s the only way I do meatloaf’s now.

Last edited:
Thank's for the tip on the LSDOS Dutchess, I'll check it out. And thank's for meatloaf info keltin. It sure seems simple enough. I think I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom