"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking April here! Nice to be part of the community

This is my first time actively participating in a Forum, however I am switching to a low carb eating plan to destroy the diabetes I have, and there are almost NO low carb canning recipes out there. I've resolved to try to convert regular recipes to low carb, and to can them myself. I Love Soup.
I live in the South, in Houston, Texas USA, and am at Sea Level - literally - less than 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico! Yeah, sand and tide!
Most of the recipes I have come from low carb websites, and hopefully won't need much adjustment to can - and I will always credit the creator's website. They did all the work, I'm just reaping the benefits and making necessary adjustments for my preferences.
I LOVE SOUP.
I hope we have lots of fun combining interests.. low carb/keto, canning/preserving, sharing recipes, and cooking! oh.. and Soup. Did I mention I love soup?

aftaylor5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

Do you have experience with canning? If there are no tested and approved recipes that meet your requirements, it may be because it isn't a safe practice. When you say low carb, what exactly do you mean? Which ingredients do you want to include or exclude?

I love soup, too. Just made red lentil soup last week.

Old 03-02-2020, 01:13 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Welcome to the DC message board.

Soup lover here too.

I bought me some Ox Tail bones last week and I'm fixing to
stir up a pot of Ox Tail soup real soon.
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for your response; Yes, I do have experience with canning - both BWB and PC.

An example would be Chili.. I have always canned chili with beans. Now, it turns out the best substitute (for my palette) is boiled peanuts. The have the same texture as beans, but are very low carb, and absorb the flavors of the chili during the process of the 2+ hour stove top simmer. I have never done that when canning; I just put my recipe together with browned beef/pork hot pack and Process for 75 min at 10# (I can pints). I'm also subbing out the beer and wine.

For Stew, I'll be using radishes or turnips instead of potatoes

For jams/jellies/preserves I'll be subbing out Stevia for sugar (I have doubts about this one)

Basically I will be excluding just about anything whie or yellow (although not all pertain to canning) potatoes, corn, white flour, sugar, breads, and unfortunately for my Soup loving self - all beans except green beans and soy black beans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking

Do you have experience with canning? If there are no tested and approved recipes that meet your requirements, it may be because it isn't a safe practice. When you say low carb, what exactly do you mean? Which ingredients do you want to include or exclude?

I love soup, too. Just made red lentil soup last week.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:30 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Delicious!
Old 03-02-2020, 02:41 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I have found that when pressure canned, many veggies become tooo soft, and lose much of their flavor. I like to make the bassic broth/stock and can it with whatever meat goes into it. Pearl barley also cans well. To get the veggie flavor for stocks and broths, I will cook thee veggies, then strain them out. That way, the canned borth/stock will be full flavored when pressure cooked, without giving me soggy veggies.

Just a tip for better tasting canned soup. And I like your substitution with peanuts for beans. Good job.

Welcome to DC.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- https://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #8
Head Chef

Welcome to the forums. Are you a T1 or a T2 diabetic, if you don't mind me asking? My Mom and I are both T2's.

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote