April here! Nice to be part of the community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aftaylor5000

Assistant Cook
This is my first time actively participating in a Forum, however I am switching to a low carb eating plan to destroy the diabetes I have, and there are almost NO low carb canning recipes out there. I've resolved to try to convert regular recipes to low carb, and to can them myself. I Love Soup.
I live in the South, in Houston, Texas USA, and am at Sea Level - literally - less than 50 miles from the Gulf of Mexico! Yeah, sand and tide!
Most of the recipes I have come from low carb websites, and hopefully won't need much adjustment to can - and I will always credit the creator's website. They did all the work, I'm just reaping the benefits and making necessary adjustments for my preferences.
I LOVE SOUP.
I hope we have lots of fun combining interests.. low carb/keto, canning/preserving, sharing recipes, and cooking! oh.. and Soup. Did I mention I love soup?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Do you have experience with canning? If there are no tested and approved recipes that meet your requirements, it may be because it isn't a safe practice. When you say low carb, what exactly do you mean? Which ingredients do you want to include or exclude?

I love soup, too. Just made red lentil soup last week.

Welcome to the DC message board.

Soup lover here too.

I bought me some Ox Tail bones last week and I'm fixing to
stir up a pot of Ox Tail soup real soon.

Thanks for your response; Yes, I do have experience with canning - both BWB and PC.

An example would be Chili.. I have always canned chili with beans. Now, it turns out the best substitute (for my palette) is boiled peanuts. The have the same texture as beans, but are very low carb, and absorb the flavors of the chili during the process of the 2+ hour stove top simmer. I have never done that when canning; I just put my recipe together with browned beef/pork hot pack and Process for 75 min at 10# (I can pints). I'm also subbing out the beer and wine.

For Stew, I'll be using radishes or turnips instead of potatoes

For jams/jellies/preserves I'll be subbing out Stevia for sugar (I have doubts about this one)

Basically I will be excluding just about anything whie or yellow (although not all pertain to canning) potatoes, corn, white flour, sugar, breads, and unfortunately for my Soup loving self - all beans except green beans and soy black beans.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Do you have experience with canning? If there are no tested and approved recipes that meet your requirements, it may be because it isn't a safe practice. When you say low carb, what exactly do you mean? Which ingredients do you want to include or exclude?

I love soup, too. Just made red lentil soup last week.

I have found that when pressure canned, many veggies become tooo soft, and lose much of their flavor. I like to make the bassic broth/stock and can it with whatever meat goes into it. Pearl barley also cans well. To get the veggie flavor for stocks and broths, I will cook thee veggies, then strain them out. That way, the canned borth/stock will be full flavored when pressure cooked, without giving me soggy veggies.

Just a tip for better tasting canned soup. And I like your substitution with peanuts for beans. Good job.

Welcome to DC.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom