College student can't cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monkeyman

Assistant Cook
Hey, I'm here to hopefully soak up some knowledge, because I cannot cook. I can make about five things well, and they are snickerdoodles, pumpkin bread, eggs on toast and... Okay, three things well. I'm trying to figure out how to cook from the internet because nobody else in my family can cook either, and I don't want to keep wasting my money on restaurant food or just wait around to marry a chef so I can eat well (unless any of you are single ;) ).

I genuinely have no idea where to start, so I'm just gonna hop in and hope that I pick it up bit by bit and then can magically whip up delicious food one day.

My name is Sam so you can call me that or Monkey or whatever you want. My first cooking goal is to make bruschetta, so if any of you have an awesome recipe, feel free to point me to it.

Today bruschetta, tomorrow the world. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what you mean by bruschetta. Welcome to the forum. Dig around you will find tons of good advice for a beginner here.
Sorry I do not make my own bruschetta, so I am no help.

Welcome aboard Sam. I don't make bruschetta, but I do Google and Search pretty good. If you look at the menu bar at the top of the page, just below the logo, the right-hand-most choice drops down a menu that lists "Appetizers" as a choice. Using "Search this forum" for Bruschetta turns up a lot: Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums - Search Results There seem to be a lot of variations and options. Maybe something there will help you? If not, or if you have questions about how to execute a recipe, ask away! Good luck and have fun.

Bruschetta is very easy. I like to use baguette and slice it abotu 1/4" on a 45 degree angle with a serrated knife. Preheat the broiler in the oven to high and crack the oven door so the element doesn't turn itself off. Move an oven rack to the highest place in the oven so it's close to the heating element. Brush each piece of bread with extra virgin olive oil and place on a cookie sheet, and put under the broiler. Wait until the bread is browned then turn it over and do the other side. Remove from the oven and use a clove of garlic that's been peeled and cut in half, rub the bread on the oiled side with the cut side of the garlic. Sprinkle all the bruschetta with a bit of salt and a few grinds of pepper and you're done.
Bruschetta. Easy peasy. It's really just toasted bread in the end.

On my bruschetta I like to do that method, then put a thin layer of hummus, sliced tomato, and feta then stick it back under the broiler for another minute.
Sometimes pesto, tomato, and mozz.
Sometimes tapenade.
Sometimes anchovy and pesto or anchovy/tomato. Anchovy needs rinsing and tastes better broiled.
But my favorite is plain ol' garlic, salt and pepper bruschetta.

Last edited:
Welcome Sam. I have been kicking around the idea of doing basic cooking classes in my home and thinking college students seem like a great first target market. Thanks for the confirmation.

Here is what I do for bruschetta. It's definately a summer thing since you need ripe, sweet tomatoes.

1 lb ripe plum tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (chopping instructions below)
1T olive oil
1t red wine vinegar (balsamic is good too)
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the tomatoes in half and squeeze out the seeds and juice. Chop the tomatoes into about 1/4" dice. Mix everything in a bowl and set aside.

I do the bread like No Mayo, except the oil. (lots of people do it with oil)

Cut a bagguette on an angle (you do this so it's easier to bite through the toasted crust) in about 1/2" slices. Peel and cut a garlic clove in half. Toast both sides of the bread in the broiler. While the bread is still very hot, rub one side with the cut side of the garlic clove. (hold the bread in a towel if necessary)

Place some of the tomato mixture on each slice of bread.

ENJOY!

You can also toast the bread on a dry skillet.

You can also slice a very ripe tomato in half and rub the cut side on the warm bread before topping with the tomato mixture.

To chop the basil, lay several leaves on top of each other and roll parallel to the stem. Then, with a sharp knife, slice the roll by rocking the knife so you don't crush the basil. If the leaves are big, slice once in the perpendicular direction before it all unrolls.

Last edited:
Hi. My favorite bruschetta recipe is to toast the baguette as described, then top with freshly made pesto, diced roma tomatoes and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I keep the seeds and juice because I like the way they moisten the bread as I'm eating it. I really like the hummus idea, too.

Hi. Welcome! You can also grill the bread on the grill before adding the goodies! A friend of mine even topped them with lady bugs made out of cherry tomatoes and black olives. Too cute!:LOL:

Hey Sam. I just recently graduated college and the progression I made from sophomore year when I had my first apartment and had to cook to now is pretty remarkable. Microwaveable dinners, eating to many egg, boiling chicken...

Watch television shows, and try to surround yourself with some friends at school who know how to cook. They will help you with so much. And this forum will help a lot too.

I boiled so muh chicken it's gross. Pan frying it is just as easy and tastes way better. Start with some boneless chicken breasts or cutlets and season them salt and pepper and put some oil in the pan. Put the heat to medium to medium high. Don't flip it until the sides of the chicken are white and looked cooked. But like everything it takes time to learn something new. But as a college student I ate well and some lived off pasta, I lived off chicken. Much better alternative. Hope you explore

Back
Top Bottom