Fresh Juicing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pavan

Assistant Cook
Hello friends. BORN a Rennaisance soul ! Have started living a Healthy lifestyle ( Enlighetened lately), Photographer, e-com writer, podcasts (coming soon), traveler, reader.
Professionally in the Education field. A delight to have chanced upon this link - where Food & Health related plus forums, are offered wherin, we may share our opinions & experiences & learn too.

Daily FRESH JUICING at Home: A firm believer of partaking fresh enzymes daily, thru fresh greens & fruits. Been doing so diligently for 3 yrs now. Will be happy to share my inputs & Looking fwd to sharing my humble 2 cents & excited to learn from many out there.

I am from Thailand
Stay Healthy Stay Safe. Cheers - Ms Pavan

Welcome Ms Pavan. Here in Venezuela, fresh fruit juice is a big thing. Mango, pineapple, melon, watermelon, pawpaw, soursop, passion fruit, guava - you name it, you can find it.
My favourite is a mixture of beetroot, carrot and orange - known (surprisingly!!) as 3-in-1.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2] I've been drinking a lot of fruit juices lately, too. I look forward to learning more about you and your cooking.

Welcome to DC, Pavan! I hope to learn about juicing from you! We buy our juices in the produce section of the market, but I would love to learn to make them at home. They don't always have what we're looking for at the store, and they certainly aren't fresh like DIY!

Would love to hear if you have any recommendations about equipment. Right now, all we have is a hand press for citrus and a manual grinder for sprouts and wheatgrass. Obviously, there are better ways for veggies!

Again, welcome and hope you'll join in the conversations and enjoy it too!

Making fresh juices at home is not difficult. We use a regular blender. Cut up the fruit, add a little water if necessary, sugar or sweetener if desired, then just sieve the juice through a plastic sieve, into a bowl, which (in the case of guava, passion fruit, watermelon, etc.), will remove the seeds. If you want to mix and match, orange and passionfruit, lemon with pawpaw, carrots and orange, beetroot with tamarind juice, what ever comes to mind.

Making fresh juices at home is not difficult. We use a regular blender. Cut up the fruit, add a little water if necessary, sugar or sweetener if desired, then just sieve the juice through a plastic sieve, into a bowl, which (in the case of guava, passion fruit, watermelon, etc.), will remove the seeds. If you want to mix and match, orange and passionfruit, lemon with pawpaw, carrots and orange, beetroot with tamarind juice, what ever comes to mind.

Interesting. That may be the thing to try. See where we go with it. I recently purchased a "power" blender, in anticipation of DH having a few oral surgeries pending. It works so much better than my blender from the '90's...and it has a cleaning cycle! Woo hoo! ;)

What about seeds in apples and pears? Do you remove them before juicing? I imagine one needs to find the sieve that works best for personal preferences?

Next step: Explain to DH why we should try this...

Apples & pears - I´d probably remove the seeds and the tough inner core before blitzing. You power blender sounds perfect for the job.

Welcome Ms Pavan. Here in Venezuela, fresh fruit juice is a big thing. Mango, pineapple, melon, watermelon, pawpaw, soursop, passion fruit, guava - you name it, you can find it.
My favourite is a mixture of beetroot, carrot and orange - known (surprisingly!!) as 3-in-1.
In the U.S. 3-in-1 is a lubricating oil.

images

Hello friends. BORN a Rennaisance soul ! Have started living a Healthy lifestyle ( Enlighetened lately), Photographer, e-com writer, podcasts (coming soon), traveler, reader.
Professionally in the Education field. A delight to have chanced upon this link - where Food & Health related plus forums, are offered wherin, we may share our opinions & experiences & learn too.

Daily FRESH JUICING at Home: A firm believer of partaking fresh enzymes daily, thru fresh greens & fruits. Been doing so diligently for 3 yrs now. Will be happy to share my inputs & Looking forward to sharing my humble 2 cents & excited to learn from many out there.

I am from Thailand
Stay Healthy Stay Safe. Cheers - Ms Pavan

My only cautions are that fruit juices contain a lot of sugar, and remove some of the healthiest parts of natural fruit. Also Steven Jobs, the creator of Apple Computers, was a believer in eating mostly fruit, and consuming fruit juice, to the exclusion of cooked foods. It destroyed his liver, which killed him. Fruits, veggies, and certain kinds of proteins are necessary for health. Even proteins that are enzymes, like amylase, are required by the body to break down complex sugars into simple sugars hat the body can use, not to mention all of the vitamins, and minerals that the body requires.

We are omnivores by design, and benefit from eating a wide variety of foods. Cooking many of them makes their nutritional value available to our bodies.

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Actually, Steve Jobs died from pancreatic cancer. But you’re right that extracted fruit juice contains a lot of sugar. That’s why I try to use as much as the whole fruit as possible in the Vita-Mix. The fiber and other nutrients in the pulp markedly lowers blood sugar levels than pure juice.

Unfortunately, orange juice (which I love) is no where near as appetizing this way, but pineapple, banana, passion fruit, guava, papaya, and other non-citrus fruits are great. I cut ‘em up in one inch chunks and freeze them in ziplock freezer bags. Pineapple, banana, coconut is one of my favs.

My only cautions are that fruit juices contain a lot of sugar, and remove some of the healthiest parts of natural fruit. Also Steven Jobs, the creator of Apple Computers, was a believer in eating mostly fruit, and consuming fruit juice, to the exclusion of cooked foods. It destroyed his liver, which killed him. Fruits, veggies, and certain kinds of proteins are necessary for health. Even proteins that are enzymes, like amylase, are required by the body to break down complex sugars into simple sugars hat the body can use, not to mention all of the vitamins, and minerals that the body requires.

We are omnivores by design, and benefit from eating a wide variety of foods. Cooking many of them makes their nutritional value available to our bodies.

Oh, and welcome to DC.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I absolutely 100% agree with this.

I have a Breville juicer, and I love it. It's the kind of blender that separates the juice from the pulp, though the pulp is quite dry and can be used for enriching quick breads, soups, stews, etc.

There are other juicers/blenders that will pulverized the entire fruit or vegetable, which means you get virtually all of the product, fibre and all.

You don't need to restrict yourself to just drinking juice -- I've juiced carrots etc. and used the resulting thick juice to cook/glaze carrots or whatever veg I'm using It definitely amps up the flavour and nutrition of whatever you're cooking in the juice.

In my model of Breville juicer, you can put in a whole apple, it separate the seeds/core from the juice. However, I usually cut it out.

My personal faves include beet, apple, ginger... carrot & ginger, apple and maybe a tomato or pepper... I often use the veg from the produce store's 'old veg discount rack' which most places have around here.

Last edited:
My only cautions are that fruit juices contain a lot of sugar, and remove some of the healthiest parts of natural fruit.... Fruits, veggies, and certain kinds of proteins are necessary for health. Even proteins that are enzymes, like amylase, are required by the body to break down complex sugars into simple sugars hat the body can use, not to mention all of the vitamins, and minerals that the body requires.

Well yes, yes and yes, Chief, but anything consumed within reason is usually good for you, whereas excessive consumption causes health problems. The US and Australia are the world´s most prolific meat eaters... and have the highest obesity rates. China, India and the US have the highest diabetes rates in the world - and are the 3 most populous countries. Statistics point to higher stroke rates in developed countries... the Japanese are supposed to have the most healthy diet in the world...
At one time or another over the past 20 years or so, sugar, meat and salt ( to mention just three items) have been vilified as major causes of death among populations.
So what´s my point? ( or how do I cut a long story short?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:). Everything in moderation. Try to maintain a balanced diet - and that includes meat, veggies and fruit. Yes, fruit has a lot of natural fructose (which a local medic once told me was "half as dangerous as sugar"), but as long as you´re not drinking two gallons of fresh fruit juice a day, just a glass or two, then it´s ok.
From personal experience, fresh fruit juice far outweighs the stuff you can find on a supermarket shelf, so bring it on!

Everything in moderation. Try to maintain a balanced diet - and that includes meat, veggies and fruit. Yes, fruit has a lot of natural fructose (which a local medic once told me was "half as dangerous as sugar"), but as long as you´re not drinking two gallons of fresh fruit juice a day, just a glass or two, then it´s ok.

Absolutely! The trouble is, every time "research" is published, people just jump on a bandwagon and go overboard with one food item.

Eat the widest possible variety of food types. (Eat the rainbow.)

It won't stop you dying. But it will help keep you healthy for as long as possible given your personal genetic disposition.

Oh and don't stop moving. (Move whatever you can as often as you can.) :w00t2:

Well yes, yes and yes, Chief, but anything consumed within reason is usually good for you, whereas excessive consumption causes health problems. The US and Australia are the world´s most prolific meat eaters... and have the highest obesity rates. China, India and the US have the highest diabetes rates in the world - and are the 3 most populous countries.

Interestingly, in terms of eating meat, Hong Kong is #1, followed by Australia, #2 and the US at #3. Canada is down around #18, which surprised me (though I personally eat more fish than meat).

As far as overall national obesity goes, the US is far down the list, with Australia and Canada even farther down. I don't think there's a relationship between eating meat and obesity, or diabetes.

Eating too much (especially processed food which is usually high in sugar, fat & salt), and not exercising enough are the culprits, in my opinion.

As Michael Pollan said, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Though I'm personally fond of Oscar Wilde's take on it --
“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”

Last edited:
Interestingly, in terms of eating meat, Hong Kong is #1, followed by Australia, #2 and the US at #3. Canada is down around #18, which surprised me (though I personally eat more fish than meat).

As far as overall national obesity goes, the US is far down the list, with Australia and Canada even farther down. I don't think there's a relationship between eating meat and obesity, or diabetes.

Eating too much (especially processed food which is usually high in sugar, fat & salt), and not exercising enough are the culprits, in my opinion.

As Michael Pollan said, "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Though I'm personally fond of Oscar Wilde's take on it --
“Everything in moderation, including moderation.”
Totally agree with the last three sentences - moderation.
As for the statistics, they are what you choose them to be. My data on meat eating came from 2019, I think, and the obesity stats from the WHO - the top 10 or 15 countries are places like the Marshall Islands, Vanuatu, Niue, etc., where the population is tiny and the diet relies heavily on starch.
Going back to "moderation", I think someone, somewhere you put the words "portion control" into the equation! Some IHOP breakfasts have enough calories for an entire day.

Thanku for the warm welcome.
Nice to know Juicing is a common healthy lifestyle habit in your neck of the woods. I too take beet carrot juice often.
Actually, I have started this healthy lifestyle journey jst a few years ago ... enjoying this sensible path.
Thanks much for connecting.

Back
Top Bottom