Frozen Fruit Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baby Grand

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for a refreshing frozen fruit salad. However, it freezes so hard, serving it almost requires a hacksaw. Looking for suggestions that can make the salad more servable.

Thanks.

Well, you could try adding more sugar - this would make it freeze less solid? I have an idea a splash of alcohol would do the same thing.

Otherwise, I guess you could just leave it in the freezer for a shorter length of time.

I would think spending less time in the freezer would do the trick. Problem would be figuring out how long you want it in there for so it is just right not too frozen then timing it so when you pull it out to serve it, it has just reached that point.
Otherwise as Babe pointed out, you would have to pull it out of the freezer early so it could thaw some. I would worry that it might end up a little too mushy after starting to thaw, but not sure on that one.

When you are freezing something like a fruit salad, always go back to your freezer after an hour at first, mix your ingredients all up again or put it in your food processor then back in the freezer again. It is just like making sorbet -- you do not allow it to freeze thoroughly. Always come back to mix it all up...or put a bit of alcohol in it, just like stassie said.

Anyway, welcome to this group. I am enjoying my stay here, I hope you do too.

Back
Top Bottom