Getting to know you getting to know all about you..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My name is Marlene and I live in the great white north, eh. LOL I do and I am a northern Canadian dinner cook. I don't normally get a chance to get on here till midnight my time. I have one son, I can't call him a child, still living at home and a boarder/roomie. I work evenings so the big meal of the day is around 2pm each day. Sonnieboy works split shift and roomie works the same shift as me, so that is our daily meal. Roomie works at the same restaurant as I do and we generally have our evening meal there, depending on how busy it is, tonight it was PB &J on toast for me.:( I have 5 children and 6 grandchildren. One of my daughters works for Airnorth, Yukon's only airline so I get to get out of here fairly cheaply. Roomie has one of the smartest dogs on the planet, a german shepard/coyote cross. I love fishing and would post some photos if I could figure out how.

O.K. I'll play too! I'm Jean and my husband, Roy, and I just left our mountaintop barn, vineyard, wine-making equipment and kids and friends to semi-retire to Port Angeles, WA - we live on the Straits of Juan de Fuca and absolutely love watching the shipping lanes and all the ships from around the world.

- I'm a retired chef, last job was at a hotel in the foothills of the Sierras. The hotel was built in the 1860s, three story log-type place that was just beautiful. Most of the kitchen equipment was the same vintage...:rolleyes: but we made do and put out some great food!

- we have 8 children, 7 grandchildren and three great-grandchildren!! Whew!

- we travel a lot now, I'm working on a couple of cookbooks - have already done one Share a Recipe, that I'm real proud of because all the profits go to Chef Scholarships!! Roy does consulting on the road, so we're having a ball.

Love cooking forums - learning all the great ideas from everyone and sharing a few of my goodies also. Absolutely love the DC forums!!

That be me.:rolleyes:

I guess it is my turn, I am Dale, live 1/2 an hour south of Auckland NZ. We have a small conference centre, on 6+ acres. It is an old nurses home. I am married 33 years, to Shane, and have 3 children, but not a grandchild in sight. Love cooking, and talking about it, gardening, books, and fine china. Matter of fact I like talking about all those things. I am a Reg. Nurse, who sort of fell into cooking, and have an unseemly number of cook books in my little library.

Hey y'all! I'm Billy, retired US Navy. I knew there was something I liked about Alix as soon as I saw her...I have a golden too! I live in Roseburg, OR, USA with one of my sisters and her husband [the 800 pound gorilla--eats like one anyway] and will soon be visiting Dale in New Zealand for a while.

In '68 I discovered it was too expensive to eat out all the time, so bought me a Betty Crocker and was off and running...man-oh-man did I screw up a lot of meals, I hadn't the first idea of how to cook. Here, more years than I care to look at later, I'm a pretty darned good cook and next to "The Gadget Queen Harborwitch-Sharon, I have more gadgets and knives than any one person should have.

I love to tease people [not harmful type teasing] and I must say that just about everyone in this thread left themselves wide open! :LOL:

One last thing..I have no idea who that crosseyed baby is that I have as an avatar. I saw that picture and fell in love!

Hi bj, Were you ever stationed at Pearl Harbor ?
And by the way, tease away. We can give um as well as take um.:LOL:

No Wasabi, I was stationed in Spain, Norfolk VA, Key West FL, Memphis TN, Pensacola FL and San Diego. We did deploy to Hickam AFB in HI once for 29 days and when we began our cruise we stopped at Pearl.

Sharon, I hate to tell you this, but I've never even seen a truffle, except the chocolate kind. I have truffle oil. :cool: I have an avocado slicer though, want one? How about the new 4 1/2" Santoku by KA, need one of those, only $10 :LOL: . How about the old Betty Crocker knife I got for $2? That makes the best vegetable cleaver...anything else I can help out with? Now if you want to get rid of one of those jalapeno roaster dewjiggies, I can hep you out there.:shifty:

I forgot Sweetie, I have a couple of queen size air mattresses if that'll help, you can tow 'em behind you.

Darlin' I have two complete sets of knives, plus all the extras - had to pick and choose what I'd bring to the boat. Just the Henkels and my Calphalon Santoku. I'd love to get a really good cleaver - but no room. I did think about a 28" magnetic bar and all the knives I could fit on it - but I'm afraid they'd fall off if the boat rocked really hard.

I have an avacado slicer, a pineapple slicer, and fruit scoopers. :-p

Now I know what you want for Christmas!!! HeeeeeHeeeeeee!!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

name: buckytom. really, it's what i'm called at work. i started here when i was only 22, hence "young buck", later "bucky", eventually "buckytom".
my real name is tom. tommy to my family.

my job: trying to keep from going crazy while keeping the cbs tv network on the air. i help install, maintain, and upgrade all of the systems that make television possible.
i would rather be the owner and chef of a b&b in vermont, while telecommunting to a job in nyc in tv comedy writing, or advertising. maybe someday.

married, with 1 incredible boy that takes me through life's paces everyday (smiles, frustration, laughter, boredom, unconditional love, angst, fear,... all coming down to the greatest joy anyone could ever imagine with just one squeezy hug :) ). also 4 cats, and 2 parrots, each of which needs more attention than there are hours in a day. but i'm giving it my all.

favourite food: way too many to decide, but i'm partial to cooking italian from my friends and influences when i was young.

Can I be next?? Can I?? lol:)

Ok...well my name is Lyn, I live in New Zealand with my gorgeous husband Neil and two Maremma dogs Nelson ( Mandela) and Dalai ( Lama).
I own a Catering Company which mainly provides lunches daily to corporates, evening fingerfood, an occasional wedding ( Im trying to wean myself off them:ermm: ), and we also do inhouse catering for a hotel so that is breakast and dinner.
Lived in Italy for nigh on 10 years and loved it but its great to be home.

Have two stepsons and a beautiful granddaughter who gets spoilt rotten by her Grandies when she visits. Which isn't often enough:(

We enjoy quiet times in our household..our sanctuary from the frenetic life we have outside of it. When we do venture out it is invariably to Wellington, the Big Smoke, to see a show and try out a new restaurant. What a fantastic city that is!

I enjoy, like ChefJune, mostly jazz, but l am not averse to a few aria's weekly either. Also love blues so Keb Mo and Eric Clapton are faves too.

Neil is an Environmental Manager, mainly in biological control, so we have a lovely native garden that is beginning to look pretty OK to this flower lover..lol. (Native plants do not have many flowers) He also is a musician and has his studio at home. I have earplugs.:LOL: Nah..he is a well known Bass player and he really rocks!!

Favourite foods: Asian, more specifically Thai and Vietnamese, and Middle Eastern. Play with Italian also, I have to.:)
I prefer savoury to sweet but if pushed, Id not turn any Creme Brulee down.

HI!
I'm Trish ( PDS is my most wonderful hubby)

We live in Issaquah Wa. just east of Seattle.
We love it out here because we get to share our space with bobcats, cougars, bears, bunnies, hawks and deer. It's GREAT!!!
We have a 22 year old son who will be coming home to live with us for a few months! Yippeeeee some one to feed the cat ( we have the world best kitty, Lily Lily Queen of cats 13 years old) and the chickens when we travel or go hiking for the weekend.

I love food of all kinds but.. for my last meal I'd ask for a Greek gyro
made at a corner stand in my MIL village in Greece. Ya can't get any better than that!!
And for dessert vanilla ice cream, one gallon please.

Ciao a tutti, now finally it's my turn!! (drumroll please!!:ROFLMAO: )

A few facts of Urmaniac13!!

Name: Licia (short for Felicia, but don't anyone dare call me that!)
Location: Glorious Rome, Italy, have been living here for almost 3 1/2 years
My gang: Cristiano, my Italian stallion, and Napoleone, my dwarf winter white hamster... we often have companies of Lucilla and Guido, Cris's children
Occupation: formerly a fitness instructor/assistant manager at a cafè/shop clerk at Borders... now a part time personal assistant for Cristiano, more often simply a "PC abuser":ROFLMAO:
Have been a member of DC: since September 2005, it is nearing the first anniversary!
My other interests: Physical fitness, computer graphics, photography, travelling, music, figure skating, motoGP
Favourite food: Now I have been learning the authentic Italian cooking since my arrival here, I am loving every bit of it... I am also fond of Indian and middle eastern cuisine, and yes, anything sweet...:-p
When I get a chance I am looking to explore the world of Hungarian cuisine... I have been reading about it and greatly intrigued!

It's hard to resist an opportunity to talk about oneself, so I won't.

Bienvenue to all the newbies. I'm mudbug and I have 7700+ posts because I love runnin' my mouth. If it's about eating and cooking, even better.

I live near Washington, DC, on the Virginia side of the Potomac River in an area I like to call Subdivisionland. Used to work in the District but hated the commute. Wouldn't mind moving back to the Sweet Home Chicago area, but HH (Handy Husband, a Memphis boy) insists it's too cold there. so we are condemned to a life of mediocre pizza and no authentic Italian beef sandwiches.

We have a soon-to-be 15-year-old daughter. She and I butt heads a lot these days, but she is a beautiful child and will always be My Girl. Unfortunately, she has not shown the proper interest in cooking yet.

I'm a technical editor for one of the big A/E (architecture/engineering) firms. Engineers can't write well, so I will always have a job.

I'm a decent cook but not a great one. My favorite food does not involve cooking - ice cream! But lately I have had hankerings for ribeyes so we have been eating a lot of them this summer.

I do love gravies and sauces and ironchef has been a big help in that department.

DC is the only Internet site I visit regularly, aside from some news outlets. Yeah, I'm also a news junkie but am trying to get better.

Any questions?

"architecture/engineering) firms. Engineers can't write well, so I will always have a job." - Well!!! didn't that make me spew all over the screen!!! I'm married to one of those and I met him while a secretary for his group....OMG, he still can't spell.

I guess it is DC'S Grandma's turn..some of you already know this so you can just skip my post :)

Paul and I met when I was 15 at Skateland in San Diego Ca. He was in the Navy and i was in Jr. High School. We married just before I was 21 in 1954. Yep..52 years in November. After travailing from one coast to the other for every duty station change and another tour (John and I were able to go this time) to Chinhae Korea Paul retired as a Navy Chief ( Corpsman /Sanitation Technician/ Pest Control Operator all rolled into one) in 1968 in Pensacola Fla. He served in Korea and Vietnam during the wars with the Marine Corps. (they don't have their own Medical Personal..AKA Corpsman or Medic) saw more than anyone should have seen and now at age 76 (soon) is just starting to have Post Traumatic stress. Lots of nightmares..)
Then he went to work for another 21 years at the Post Office and retired again.

We traveled a lot in our RV, saw most of the USA and a trip to Canada. After 32 years of this he had to give up his drivers license so that ended that.

We have two sons John 51 this month and Kevin just turned 34. They are both within 15 minutes of us. Two grandsons by John 21 and 18.

My little Dove you see is my 9 year old Chihuahua. She is just as sweet as she looks.

I grew up in beautiful San Diego and Paul was born in North Carolina..another beautiful place. I'm still trying to figure out why we live in the Hot !! city of Sacramento Ca...........:ermm:

Let me close by saying that I have met some of the greatest people in the world right here.
Marge~Dove

Last edited:
Before I begin, let me say Marge (Dove) is one of the nicest members here.

Wasabi, aka, Linda
Married for 25 years
2 adult children and one very spoiled chihuhua named Koapaka
Live on the island of Oahu, right on the shores of Pearl Harbor
Favorite foods are lobster and lemon meringue pie

Dove you are right "up the street" from us! I don't know why we stay in the valley either - the heat is terrible. San Diego is wonderful, I en got to live there in the 60's when my ex was in the Navy.

It sounds like you've had a very exciting life. 52 years together is amazing! Congratulations in advance.

I reside on Lake Tawakoni, Texas.
Married 21 years. I have two boys, 19 and 20 {21 on the 28th} I have 5 four legged kids, 3 girls and 2 boys, all mutts and I love them to death!!

I work at a huge self storage and uhaul place. Just started there 3 weeks ago. Before that, I worked at BIL's sign company. I did the graphics and applied all the vinyl to the signs.

I love trying new foods and cooking. I don't get to very often anymore. I'm working so much, I don't get home until about 7 now and we eat then go to bed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom