Gill Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I thought you meant "Dill" cream, but after further digging, I think that Gill might be some sort of measurement. I've never heard this before. But "1 gill cream" is called for in savory and sweet sauces and cakes, etc. It looks that it might be Australian. maybe some friends from across the pond can verify?

See "gill" used here in the ancient cookbook. Maybe it's old-fashioned?
The Royal Cookery Book - Google Book Search

Re Gill Cream

Hey your right on 1 count, It's an Australian term and from your article it sure looks like a term of measurement however in an old Aussie Cook Book, Australian Womens Weekly - called Cookery in Colour,Editor Leila Howrad, circa 1960 it refers often to 1/2 Cup or 1 Cup of Gill Cream. Guess I'm still stumped :(

A gill, is I believe an 1/8 of an English Pint. (Note an English pint is bigger than an American one).

Hope that helps :)

After using Google, metacrawler and dogpile and reading a lot of answers, I want to offer this opinion. A gill is the unit of measure above. When the recipe says 1 gill cream. I believe that it is saying 1 gill of cream.

Many Thanks Adillo, your answer looks more correct by the minute as I read this 1960's publication....1/8th of English Pint.:-p

Many Thanks Adillo, your answer looks more correct by the minute as I read this 1960's publication....1/8th of English Pint.:-p

When I was a young girl learning to cook - 50's, a gill was 5 fluid ounces. Often and still used in cocktail recipes. that was in England. I still use that measure if it comes up when using old recipes. My original books are from the 60's LOL. Mrs. Beetons - the one I used, recipes always began with 14lbs of whatever the staple was, well I don't know how old that was, but it was my bible for a long time.

Linda

Back
Top Bottom