Greetings!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flour

Cook
I believe this is an introduction thread, hopefully I have done this right. I write and test recipes. I rarely speak to others in-depth about food, but it is mostly what I think about. Recently someone told me my food was too fancy, which made me not want to cook for others because if someone particular or picky tells me my offerings are "too fancy", it probably means I am not making it mouth-watering enough. For this person, who only eats burgers, spaghetti, and hotdogs, I usually just stick to making them those items, so not fancy. So in a bit of a food depression rage, I found this place to calm my jets!

I believe this is an introduction thread, hopefully I have done this right. I write and test recipes. I rarely speak to others in-depth about food, but it is mostly what I think about. Recently someone told me my food was too fancy, which made me not want to cook for others because if someone particular or picky tells me my offerings are "too fancy", it probably means I am not making it mouth-watering enough. For this person, who only eats burgers, spaghetti, and hotdogs, I usually just stick to making them those items, so not fancy. So in a bit of a food depression rage, I found this place to calm my jets!

Try not to let the "too fancy" remarks get under your skin. Perhaps the person who said that was just the tiniest bit jealous that you could prepare dishes well enough to be called "fancy."

While I have nothing against burgers, spaghetti and hot dogs, I prefer a broader spectrum when it comes to food.

Glad you found us. Jump in and have fun.

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking :) You have found your peeps! ;)

I agree with Katie - someone is jealous of your ability. While we enjoy those dishes occasionally, someone with that limited a palate will not appreciate the effort that goes into making good food. Try not to let it bother you too much.

Welcome! We recently toured New Mexico, and actually met a DC poster in Taos-very charming lady. Well after 4 days of eating Hatch chiles, we stopped at a deli for a pastrami sandwich:)

Welcome to DC! Before I had to quit working to take care of my ageing parents, I developed and tested recipes for a catering company. I got to prepare the recipes for the food photographer--best job ever. I am bored out of my mind cooking for my parents. Today my Dad was trying to convince me to just make the gravy for the potato sausage turned into Swedish meatballs out of a package...he doesn't get it that cooking from scratch and "on the fly" is how I roll in the kitchen. He likes what I cook as long as I stick with ingredients that he recognizes and keep everything on the mild side...drives me crazy, I get so frustrated.

Thank you, all

-CW, I feel your pain. people who do not make things from scratch have no idea how much sodium and extra junk is in prepared stuff. When doctors say lower sodium intake, the patients have no idea how much they could reduce just by not making hamburger helper or eating out. For some reason, prepared foods and eat out foods have to add more salt for you to actually taste it. Twice what you would normally use at home when made fresh.
-Sous, we live about an hour or less from hatch. Every six months to a year I buy a new bag of dried hatch powder, I prefer it over ancho, and cayenne. My guilty pleasure here in New Mexico are the enchiladas with a fried egg on top. I dislike fried eggs, or used to, but dribbling over an enchilada, it is like ambrosia. We honeymooned in santa fe- we actually went to a movie that was important to us on that holiday, while standing in line, the lady in front of me asked if I was available for babysitting since her daughter seemed enamored with me. It's an unusual state with ridiculously friendly and creative people. We moved here ten years after that. Currently building a concrete dome (like on Tatooine) since our home burned earlier this year.
-To the rest of you, Thank You for the friendly advice. I try not to let it get to me but it is frustrating when the person considers my baked vegetables and pan-seered protein "fancy". The person said they used to cook but it wasn't appreciated so they quit cooking. NOT EVERYONE wants to eat hamburger helper lol. This person doesn't have any working appliances, including no refrigerator, so they eat at restaurants or pizza, never at home. Anyways, I used to throw parties several times a year. I doubt I will put forth the effort anymore. Devilled eggs is all I will make for parties anymore -New Year resolution? :)

Last edited:
-To the rest of you, Thank You for the friendly advice. I try not to let it get to me but it is frustrating when the person considers my baked vegetables and pan-seered protein "fancy". The person said they used to cook but it wasn't appreciated so they quit cooking. NOT EVERYONE wants to eat hamburger helper lol. This person doesn't have any working appliances, including no refrigerator, so they eat at restaurants or pizza, never at home. Anyways, I used to throw parties several times a year. I doubt I will put forth the effort anymore. Devilled eggs is all I will make for parties anymore -New Year resolution? :)

Why are you letting this one person ruin your enjoyment of cooking for others? I'm sure there are plenty of other people who do appreciate the effort and good flavor :)

GG-I just don't want to serve sub-standard food to people. Easier to just be happy with what I cook for husband and dog.

(and sear, not seer, oops)

Last edited:
I don't plan to. In my mind, they made the comment because the food wasn't delicious enough for them to get beyond having a prosciutto pizza as opposed to a burger from the arches. I think the person was trying to tell me only my husband likes the variety, not our mutual friends. It just hurt my feelins for some reason. I'll get over it. I do know they all like any cookie I make.

Welcome, Flour.

I feel this should be a Borg greeting, that you will be assimilated here, and your distinctiveness will be added (and appreciated :flowers:) to our own.

Welcome, Flour! :flowers:

You sound like a delightful person and you certainly have found the right place to hang around here. :) I agree with the others - try not to let one person rain on your culinary parade. Have fun and cook away! :chef: I hope you stick around.

edited....I just looked at your album...would love to dine at your house anytime! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom