Greetings and salutations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DouglasMB

Assistant Cook
I'm not exactly a new member but i have not been here in a long long time... so i thought i would say hello again. I have decided to attempt a project while trying to lose weight... and I think I am going to need you guys help cause I am going to have lots and lots and lots of questions.

I am an ok cook, I can do alot of stuff in the kitchen but most of the time I can not repeat anything because I am winging it lol and I don't ever write anything down. I have been trying to lose weight for some time and last year I decided after watching (DONT YOU DARE LAUGH) Julie and Julia I would attempt something like that... kinda... I wanted it to be something more healthy, but also something that would teach me something.

I absolutly love Gordon Ramsay... so I found his healthy cook book and decided to try it out...
Do you folks think this might be too hard a book to start out with? Let me know... thanks :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suggest that you head for your public library and go to the cookbook section. Take home a couple of cookbooks on weight loss. Look through them and if there are any recipes that look interesting and doable to you, start your own cookbook on your computer and enter them.

Put the recipes into separate files. A file for breakfast, lunch and supper. A separate one for desserts. Dont forget to add any information such as calorie count and other notes that are in the book. Then after you try the recipe, you can go back and add your own notes. Too bland, too difficult, too many ingredients, very tasty, worth making again, etc. Search the internet for dietary recipes. Add ones that interest you to your computer file cookcook. Don't confine yourself to just one cookbook in the library. There are just too many really good ones out there to puruse. And good luck. By using this method you will save yourself a ton of $$$ in not buying and spending money on books that may be of no use to you in the end. :angel:

Welcome back!

One of the things that has come out of my association with DC is to write down the ingredients of anything "new" I make. I too, love to wing it.

I now have a large notebook of favorite recipes.

Each time I make that recipe, I make notes of changes, and comment about how they turned out, what worked, what didn't, and ideas for improvement.

It comes in handy when I do make something that gets that WOW response, and I can repeat it.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

I go to the library and take out recipe books then just copy the recipes I like. Like Addie said, it saves heaps of money! I've got cookbooks at home but I hardly use them.
I find Gordon Ramsay's recipes easy to follow so if you like his food it's worth trying.

I would suggest that you head for your public library and go to the cookbook section. Take home a couple of cookbooks on weight loss. Look through them and if there are any recipes that look interesting and doable to you, start your own cookbook on your computer and enter them.

Put the recipes into separate files. A file for breakfast, lunch and supper. A separate one for desserts. Dont forget to add any information such as calorie count and other notes that are in the book. Then after you try the recipe, you can go back and add your own notes. Too bland, too difficult, too many ingredients, very tasty, worth making again, etc. Search the internet for dietary recipes. Add ones that interest you to your computer file cookcook. Don't confine yourself to just one cookbook in the library. There are just too many really good ones out there to puruse. And good luck. By using this method you will save yourself a ton of $$$ in not buying and spending money on books that may be of no use to you in the end. :angel:

thank you for the great advice Addie... I really don't need the library for a cook book section though... I probably have more cookbooks than most 5 houses combined lol I used to go to estate sales and buy boxes of books for 1 and 2 dollars... my grandmother gave me all of her cookbooks when my grandfather passed away, and when my wifes grandparents passed we got theirs as well. If I had to put a number on it I would say I probably have about 125 cookbooks... just an estimate mind you...

i chose that book because i respect his ability and i wanted something that would challenge me... but something that was going to be good for me too... I do love your ideas though... maybe after this adventure I will do just what you said :) Thank you

my inspiration comming from that movie was more of watching her make things that were foreign to her and hard... having to learn these things and then sharing them with her friends and family... be it good or bad lol I think I am going to enjoy the adventure I am already learning things... lol like what a poussin is lol

hi douglas, what do you like most about ramsay, comedy, order, people, writing, dmb? :)

Well I started watching him a few years ago on NetFlix both his US shows and his UK shows... and well I have liked how when it comes to turning things around be it a bad place to eat or a really bad menu, he always falls back to keeping it as simple as you can. Not to go over board and freash freash freash food not frozen or otherwise. I love how he has traveled and actually learned how to cook the food he loves from the people who "invented" it... and well he does not take any grief from lol

I'm not exactly a new member but i have not been here in a long long time... so i thought i would say hello again. I have decided to attempt a project while trying to lose weight... and I think I am going to need you guys help cause I am going to have lots and lots and lots of questions.

I am an ok cook, I can do alot of stuff in the kitchen but most of the time I can not repeat anything because I am winging it lol and I don't ever write anything down. I have been trying to lose weight for some time and last year I decided after watching (DONT YOU DARE LAUGH) Julie and Julia I would attempt something like that... kinda... I wanted it to be something more healthy, but also something that would teach me something.

I absolutly love Gordon Ramsay... so I found his healthy cook book and decided to try it out...
Do you folks think this might be too hard a book to start out with? Let me know... thanks :)
Welcome back, Douglas. I wing cooking all the time (made some excellent breadmachine pita pockets yesterday, but I'd can't tell you exactly what I put in the bread machine...or exactly how much). I am sure others have pointed you to the breakfast lately thread and others. Veggies, Veggies, Veggies.

Last edited:
I eat a lot of steamed veg and raw veg too... lately i have been setting aside one day a week for an all fruit day... only raw and fresh fruit.

I eat a lot of steamed veg and raw veg too... lately i have been setting aside one day a week for an all fruit day... only raw and fresh fruit.

on a typical all-fruit day, what are some of your personal fruit choices and combinations? do you have any specific requirements when selecting your fruits? for instance, do you have a preference as to organic or u.s. grown product? how do you divide up your fruit portions throughout the day? if you find yourself tempted by, say, a chunk of cheese, or a salami sandwich, do you satisfy that craving or not?

on a typical all-fruit day, what are some of your personal fruit choices and combinations? do you have any specific requirements when selecting your fruits? for instance, do you have a preference as to organic or u.s. grown product? how do you divide up your fruit portions throughout the day? if you find yourself tempted by, say, a chunk of cheese, or a salami sandwich, do you satisfy that craving or not?

honestly I'm not as fancy as all that... I'm a simple dumb guy lol I thought one day... "hey ya know... do one day with no fast food or processed stuff... humm maybe an all fruit day." then I started looking what was availabel in mass quantity (because I eat a lot) and i just bought "stuff" lol
I have only done it twice and have stuck to mellons and apples (gala). Oh man I spent a lot of time running to the bathroom lol be tween that and only drinking water that day haha I know it has to be good for me.... I think next week i am throwing blue berris into the mix.

i don't really devide it out... in the moring I cut up enough to get me through the work day... and i eat on it all day as I feel hungry. oh man am i ever tempted... lol I crave salt more than anything else.... like chips and the like. but so far I know it is only one day so i am able to be good.

honestly I'm not as fancy as all that... I'm a simple dumb guy lol I thought one day... "hey ya know... do one day with no fast food or processed stuff... humm maybe an all fruit day." then I started looking what was availabel in mass quantity (because I eat a lot) and i just bought "stuff" lol
I have only done it twice and have stuck to mellons and apples (gala). Oh man I spent a lot of time running to the bathroom lol be tween that and only drinking water that day haha I know it has to be good for me.... I think next week i am throwing blue berris into the mix.

i don't really devide it out... in the moring I cut up enough to get me through the work day... and i eat on it all day as I feel hungry. oh man am i ever tempted... lol I crave salt more than anything else.... like chips and the like. but so far I know it is only one day so i am able to be good.

I applaud you efforts to get fresh fruit into you, but keep in mind, a lot of fresh fruits are loaded with natural sugar.

Start with your computer. Start looking up information on the foods you like and will be eating. Veggies are lower in natural sugar than fruits. And who says you can't have veggies for breakfast? You also need protein for strength each day. A lot of veggies have the protein you need. Spinach for one is loaded with iron. A good spinach salad for breakfast is a great way to start the day. You get protein, fiber and lots of vitamins and minerals all in one meal. Protein also tells you tummy you are full and not hungry. Different foods send different messages to your tummy.

You have come to the right place for help. We are loaded with ideas and will give you all the encouragement you need. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom