Greetings from Down Under!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiverDoug

Assistant Cook
G'day folks,

I'm Doug, originally from Canada but now living in Australia! I tried joining another cooking forum, but for some reason, I found there was no way to actually post stuff, so that's when I found this forum.

I'm not a fantastic cook, but I love cooking nice exotic meals that taste great. I'm a huge fan of Indian recipes as well as Thai recipes, but I'm always on the look-out for new techniques and tips! Therefore, I'll be lurking around trying to scope out new stuff!

A good friend of mine (who also loves cooking) and I decided a while back that we should start our own Youtube channel, which we've done. It's called "Just Eat It!", where we show simple but awesome tasting recipes that dads can make for the family. We're always after new and exciting recipes, so if you have a recipe you'd like to suggest we make in our Two Aussie Dads style ;-), feel free to drop me a line! Of course, we'll give you full credit in the video to make sure everyone knows where the recipe came from!

Anyway, I hope to eventually meet more like-minded people here in the forum.

Feel free to say g'day!

Diver Doug

Welcome to DC! Nice Superlite in your avatar. I beat up a couple 17's back in the day.;)

Thanks Craig! Got any good dive stories? I haven't had a Superlite on in nearly 20 years...SIGH! Miss those days. Maybe I could swap a few dive photos and recipes sometime :)

Thanks Craig! Got any good dive stories? I haven't had a Superlite on in nearly 20 years...SIGH! Miss those days. Maybe I could swap a few dive photos and recipes sometime :)

I haven't had one on since the mid 70's. Most stories I have are from my days teaching recreational and driving a cattle boat. No pics from me as spearing was my thing. My buddy won an Oscar, along with the rest of the team, for his camera work on the documentary "The Cove". He's off to Bikini Island/Atoll to film some segments for the next round of the "Shark Week" series. Hope he doesn't come back glowing in the dark!:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. Stick around and have some fun. Lots of information, lots of laughs. And members from all over the globe. :angel:

G'day DD!

As Addie says, stick around and have some fun . Looks like you two dads know how to include fun on your cooking channel.

That we do! We try to make it more entertaining than your average "and now you add a tsp of salt....and then you add some sugar....and then you add some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!" kind of cooking show. We like to make stuff that is easy, full of taste and kids will love (my kids are really fussy eaters, but Jason's kids love all of them!), but mostly to show dads how easy it is to cook really good food. That's why I put it out to everyone here that if they have a recipe that's quick and easy, we'll make it up on the show and give him/her full credit for the recipe (and if they have a cookbook, we'll promote it as well)

Looking forward to joining in some of the conversations!

DD

"He said; Do you come from the land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder/chunder.
Can you hear, can you hear the thunder?"

I live on the Canadian Border, on the U.S. side, and have spent time in Perth. I like both places, and have good friends both in Canada, and Australia. I look forward to your posts, and friendship. Welcome to D.C.

Oh, and if you include you email address in your information, I can send some recipes from my cookbooks for you to try out. If you like them, you can use them, with a nod to the author.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
"He said; Do you come from the land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder/chunder.
Can you hear, can you hear the thunder?"

I live on the Canadian Border, on the U.S. side, and have spent time in Perth. I like both places, and have good friends both in Canada, and Australia. I look forward to your posts, and friendship. Welcome to D.C.

Oh, and if you include you email address in your information, I can send some recipes from my cookbooks for you to try out. If you like them, you can use them, with a nod to the author.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Hey there, Chief!

Will PM you my email address. Would love to have a look through them and see what culinary delights you have. If there are some really quick ones, even better, as one of our playlists is dedicated to really fast recipes and called "Quickies" ("Are *you* up for a quickie? ;-)" ). Of course, we'll give full credit to you (make sure you send in a photo too!) and it will give you a way of promoting your recipes as well. We're trying to increase our viewership and subscribers, so we can help each other out. If you have a look at a couple of our vids, hopefully you'll like the overall theme/style of the vids.

As for Australia, even though I grew up in Canada with an Aussie mother, I still can't handle vegemite! This is despite living in Oz permanently for nearly 20 years! Perth is one of the most beautiful cities here in Oz, though because of the mining boom, the realestate prices are unbelievably high! Even the prices here in Brisbane are starting to creep up too.

anyway, will PM you my email address.

Diver Doug

Welcome to DC! I'm a creature of underwater (snorkeler, not diver), and look forward to some pics.

As far as Vegemite, ptooey, spit spit. You may have my portion.

As far as Vegemite, ptooey, spit spit. You may have my portion.

Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry, mate. As my dad (a Canuck) would say about vegemite, "I stepped in too much of it on the farm to want to put it on a slice of bread" :)

Mind you, here's a tip for anyone wanting to eat something Aussie : Emu ! If anyone here has eaten it, you'll know that it tastes better than a steak (no, it may be a bird, but it tastes nothing like chicken) with virtually no fat.

I'm a partial Canuck, and have met a few emus! No way I could eat them. (Well, maybe, if they didn't have names.). The eggs are beautiful though, turquoise shells.

Last edited:
I'm a partial Canuck, and have met a few emus! No way I could eat them. (Well, maybe, if they didn't have names.). The eggs are beautiful though, turquoise shells.

Trust me, Emu is actually a red meat with no fat on it whatsoever. If you marinade it in a bit of soy sauce and fry it up like a stir fry, the taste is unreal and and much better than steak.

Kangaroo is a bit gamey and is better suited to a curry or a satay as the taste is a bit strong. It's funny here how people in Oz complain about people eating roo and emu as it forms the Coat of Arms (chosen because they're two animals that can't walk backwards!), but I say I'm proud to live in a country with the world's tastiest coat of arms!

I have a question. I have heard other Aussies refer to Oz. Is there a place or area that is really called Oz and shows it on an Aussie map? Or is the name in reference to the movie, The Wizard of Oz? :angel:

Australians are renown for shortening words and phrases into slang. For example:

afternoon - arvo ("Going to the beach this arvo")
sandwich - sanga ("Who wants a toasted tomato sang for lunch?"
garbageman - garbo ("the garbo made a lot of noise this morning")
politicians - pollies ("The pollies in Canberra all need to be voted out!")
biscuits - bikkies ("Nothing like a good anzac bikkie at lunch")
can of beer - tinny ("I'll bring over a couple of tinies for the BBQ")
Australia - Oz (self explanatory)
fisherman - fisho ("got a great bit of fish from the local fisho")

So, Oz is just the shorten way of saying Australia :)

Australians are renown for shortening words and phrases into slang. For example:

afternoon - arvo ("Going to the beach this arvo")
sandwich - sanga ("Who wants a toasted tomato sang for lunch?"
garbageman - garbo ("the garbo made a lot of noise this morning")
politicians - pollies ("The pollies in Canberra all need to be voted out!")
biscuits - bikkies ("Nothing like a good anzac bikkie at lunch")
can of beer - tinny ("I'll bring over a couple of tinies for the BBQ")
Australia - Oz (self explanatory)
fisherman - fisho ("got a great bit of fish from the local fisho")

So, Oz is just the shorten way of saying Australia :)

Geesh, first the UK and now Australia. And to think we all speak the same language. Who'd a thunk it! :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom