Greetings from Jersey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arfer

Assistant Cook
Have just dicovered this Forum.

Years ago, The Motley Fool (originally an Investment/Banking site) had a great Food area, but it was "modernised" away...

A chance conversation with al old friend reminded me of an Ethiopian girl who worked here, telling me of her family chicken dish that required onions (about 2kg) slowly fried overnight to a paste, chicken added spiced and enjoyed.

Has anyone experience of this?

Hi Jersey! Welcome to DC! The people here are first class, and very responsive.

I’ve never heard of this method either. You “fry” the onions overnight? That sounds messy! Do you have to stay up all night to cook them? How do you avoid burning them? It sounds quite fascinating! Chicken is my go-to protein, and I love finding new ways to cook it!

Welcome Arfer!

yummm... sounds like it would work in a slow cooker with the onions. Check out Ethiopian spices - Berbere (sp?) sounds like it might fit.

Where in Jersey, the Taylor Ham side or the Pork Roll side? :LOL:

I was born in Glassboro, Pork Roll territory.

Welcome!

CD

Welcome!

I believe the onions are cooked to caramelize them, you can do this in a slow cooker overnight...put them outside or in the garage if you don't want the whole house to smell of onions.

Welcome!

I believe the onions are cooked to caramelize them, you can do this in a slow cooker overnight...put them outside or in the garage if you don't want the whole house to smell of onions.
The whole house smelling of onions is a bad thing?

Welcome to DC.
NEW Jersey or the island of Jersey (largest of the Channel Islands, between England and France)?

Last edited:
Hi, Arfer. Welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Btw, everyone, if you look at his profile, you'll see that he's from Jersey in the UK.

Where do you see that in his profile GG?

I went there when I first saw his post and 'Jerdey' was listed as his location. I didn't know if it was a mispell or somewhere I'd never heard of.

The whole house smelling of onions is a bad thing?

I do have an urky story about the smell of onions, won't talk about it here. But, yes the smell of onions for a whole night and the lingering odor for a few days is sometimes too much.

Where do you see that in his profile GG?

I went there when I first saw his post and 'Jerdey' was listed as his location. I didn't know if it was a mispell or somewhere I'd never heard of.
I'm assuming that's a misspelling, but the United Kingdom is right below that.
Capture%2B_2018-02-06-08-53-49.jpg

Here is what I notice about Arfer from Jerdey...

I hope Arfer didn't get hit by a bus, or something else terrible.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.13.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-06 at 4.13.20 PM.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom