Growing Ginger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Footsteps to Oxford

Assistant Cook
Hi ! I am a new member and would appreciate some feedback from other members. Basically, by accident, I have grown a ginger plant from an old sprouting ginger bulb. Of course, I know that you use the bulb for cooking but I have read about using the young green shoots but the article was a little vague. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether you really can eat the shoots? I am amazed at how simple it has been to grow the plant. I love anything ginger so this is a real bonus. If you have any articles you would like to send in to my website on this, or any other subject, please do visit us on www.footstepstooxford.co.uk

Welcome aboard, Footsteps.
Ginger grows very easily, doesn't it? However, you'll now have to wait around 6 months until the bulbs reproduce and you get lots of yummy fresh ginger. You'll know when it's ready to harvest because those beautiful green tendrils will turn yellow and die. You can then remove the bulbs and make some Garlic-Ginger Chutney!!
I've never eaten the shoots - always waited for them to grow into huge plants.

footsteps to oxford

Hi CliveB. Thank you so much for your quick response. And also the very useful information. I am still curious about the stalks though. Is there anyone out there who can help? Many thanks.

Footsteps to Oxford said:
Hi CliveB. Thank you so much for your quick response. And also the very useful information. I am still curious about the stalks though. Is there anyone out there who can help? Many thanks.

I was curious so I took a quick look through the web.
I found a thing called " Myoga Ginger", which is a member of the ginger family, but is prized for its shoots and flowers, which are used in cooking.
Take a look here: http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Aug/06/il/il17ataste.html

I would have thought common ginger would also be edible too, although I can't back up any statement on that!

I have no information on whether or not the shoots are edible, but I know the flowers are. ONLY those of Zingiber officinale.

There are many species in the ginger family, most are not edible at all. So be cautious.

Welcome to DC. You will be very happy with our Cooking Site and meet all of our great cooks and chefs. They are very supportive and can answer any of your questions.

Happy Saturday.

Footsteps,

I have always included ginger in my Asian cooking but have never used the young leaves. There is a Malaysian fried rice dish called Nasi Kerabu with at least 12 herbs in it. However, young ginger leaves are not included in the recipe. You can though use tumeric leaves (which is known in Singapore and Malaysia as yellow ginger) and torch ginger (another kind of ginger flower).

Greetings

Thank you Boufa. I had the pleasure of visiting Singapore a year or two back en route to visiting my son in Australia. What a fascinating place it is! And such an international choice of food. Of course, we visited the Ginger Factory while we were there! Where else?

Have a nice day!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom