Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

college_cook

Head Chef
Hey everyone! My name's Dave, I'm 20 years old, and a sophmore Informatics major at Indiana University, in Bloomington. Just wanted to properly introduce myself, and let everyone know that I've got a real passion for cooking. I mostly do ethnic foods, mainly asian or mexican foods. I like making things up as I go along, and making my own small alterations in any recipes that I follow.

That said, I've made some mistakes here and there. I've never been trained or taught by anyone on cooking methods. So I'm joining because i hope to learn a thing or two, and maybe share some helpful tips as I improve.

Welcome Dave!

We're a lively and spirited gang here ... none of us are too bashfull about giving you our opinions ... but we always do it in the spirit of sharing and friendship.

So - jump in - join the fun .. and I hope you'll enjoy the experience!

Humm .... another college student ... maybe someday I should write that "Things I cooked in my dorm room" cookbook? :LOL:

I've had to get pretty creative in the microwave this year... last year I had a kitchenette on the floor, but not this year.

I made Honey-Sesame Chicken with vegetables and rice noodles. Made some money too. I always cook a lot in the dorms, because the kids that have $5 lying around will gladly pay for a plate of anything that's not university food.

Welcome College Cook! You'll find lots of spirited opinions here as well as wonderful help! Glad to have you aboard!

Welcome aboard Dave.

Agree with Michael in FtW that we are a friendly lot and treat each other with politeness and respect, a reason I truly enjoy this forum.

Remember my years in the dorm, they would not even let us have a popcorn popper. I guess they were afraid some wholesome cooking would diminish the time we had to pursue the other far less than worthy activities we managed to find time for. (Some folks still almost burned down the dorm but that is another story.)

Just curious, do you have any other items to cook with, such as an electric frying pan or hot plate?

I think many of us would be very interested in how you manage to elude the hideous dorm food, Blechhh.

Again, welcome, and hope to hear from you soon.

Welcome Dave!

Cooking in a dorm would certainly ask for a lot of creativity. I think we will be learning from each other!

Pam

Hi Dave. Glad to have you here. I'm sure you will really like it. :)

:) Barbara

anigrla2.gif

Hi Dave and welcome to Discuss Cooking. I'm glad you found us.8)

Welcome to the boards. I remember way back in the ancient days of uni life cooking in a dorm. It was good fun, but very challenging! We had Korean and Thai students sharing the kitchen, and if you're supplies or methods looked hopeless enough, or you helped them with their English, they would take pity on you and feed you :LOL:, which has got to be a good thing!!!!

Dot- Like I've said, I've had to get pretty creative with the microwave, but I have a very small Geaorge Foreman Grill that I use as well. I did bring all of my cooking supplies with me, a large pot, a skillet, basic spices, a large bowl for mixing, and a set of knives. I haven't been able to use most of it though, b/c the lack of kitchenette this year.

I'll be an RA next year, so I think I can request where I'll be placed, and I'll ask for a floor with a kitchenette. If nothing else, my g/f will be in an appt. owned by her extended family, and they've got a GREAT kitchen.

Nice to meet everyone!

Welcome Dave! I've never had the pleasure of living in a dorm and enjoying that kind of life, and now I'm too old to get to do that. I have come here also as a way to learn more things to use in my kitchen. Sounds like you are an aspiring chef as well as an entrepeneur. :)

Back
Top Bottom