Hello Everyone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm happy to be here. I'm not a new cook or baker, but I'm a fairly new food blogger and I am new to this forum. I joined this site mainly to discuss cooking contests. This is the first year I'll be trying my hand at competing.

I look forward to making new friends and sharing ideas.

Stacy
New York, NY:chef:

Thanks Lefty

My mom is a lefty - she always says only leftys are right in the brain - LOL:ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the welcome.

Stacy
NY, NY

Last edited:
Welcome Stacy! I was born in Jersey too. I lived in Highland Park, New Brunswick until I was 4.

Born in NJ but raised??

Welcome Stacy! I was born in Jersey too. I lived in Highland Park, New Brunswick until I was 4.

I grew up in North Brunswick (8 to 30) and worked in Highland Park for a while. After my divorce, I live for 2 years in north NJ and then move to Manhattan. Now I can't imagine living anywhere else - I may dream of it sometimes, but I love not needing a car and having so many farm markets to choose from - some year round.

Where did your family move to when you were 4?

Stacy
NY, NY

What a small world!

We moved to MA, but we had a lot of family and friends in NY and NJ so we still spend a substantial amount of time in the area.

Actually it is Massachusetts. Well it is hard to say because I was so young when we moved. If anything, I think living in the NJ/NY area influenced my likes much more than MA did. I love a good bagel, which you can not find here. I love NY type pizza. I love good deli (also very very hard to find here).

I do not think either location influenced my cooking style though. I like to cook everything from Mediterranean to Japanese to down South home style cooking to California cuisine to...you name it.

oops Mass.

Hopefully NY influenced your choice in Baseball teams too!

I had to go gluten free and the one and only 2 things I really miss, that can't be replicated well, is a hot crusty bagel and good Italian bread crusty, chewy and still warm! Thank goodness the smells from outside the shops is gluten free - at least I can sniff and air and remember the taste.

I can get good deli (minus the bread) and I make a heck of a pizza - we have a gluten free wood fired pizza place in my neighborhood but they are so expensive!

Stacy
NY,NY

nice food pics on your blog!

Welcome Stacy!!

Les,

Thanks for the welcome. I went to your website - sweet pictures!! My blog is just getting off it's feet. I've discovered it's the pictures that make or break a food blog and so far, I'm feeling rather frustrated with that end of things. Any good tips?

Stacy
NY,NY
GuaranteedGF.com

I've discovered it's the pictures that make or break a food blog and so far, I'm feeling rather frustrated with that end of things. Any good tips?
Invest in a good flash if your camera accepts that or good external lighting as well as a tripod.

Thanks GB. I own a Cannon Rebel, a good flash and a tri pod. My challenge is the macro nature of the photography and the digital. I was a professional photographer once upon a time (Medium format). I had the benefit of a studio. Food is a very different medium then portraits! The light from the flash is too harsh - I find it blasts the colors. I've been playing with lighting - but it gets in the way of the cooking! Perhaps I'm just not great with the software yet - I'm used to need everything to be done in the camera.

Do you shoot in RAW format? That will give you some added control if you are not already doing that. Although being an ex-pro I am sure you are already doing that.

I do unless someone uses my camera and switches the settings :) I think I just need to spend more time using the camera. I just starting using the digital even though we've had it for a while. I was still sending out film - I didn't really want to go digital - LOL

Stacy

Les,

Thanks for the welcome. I went to your website - sweet pictures!! My blog is just getting off it's feet. I've discovered it's the pictures that make or break a food blog and so far, I'm feeling rather frustrated with that end of things. Any good tips?

Stacy
NY,NY
GuaranteedGF.com
Hi Stacy,
By the sound of it, you're probably more experienced than me with the camera. Baz takes our photo's with a Canon, he takes it to work to photograph cutting machines, so I don't know the model. I just chop people's heads off! lol:mellow:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom