Hello everyone and Jah bless.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kali-Ann G

Assistant Cook
Me join today, and wanted to say hi and tell about me man! So now me going to do so.
OK my name is Kali-Ann me am originally from Jamaica, Hellshire beach this just along the coast from Kingston. Me live in Birmingham UK with my husband and three grown children. We are traditional Rastafarian family. Me cook mostly traditional Jamaican food using chicken, beef, goat and fish we do not touch pork. Me also make many Ital vegetable dishes (Ital mean clean and pure).
Me make all me own Jerk seasonings and me make green seasoning and pepper sauce each four week these is the base for just about everything me make, me grind all whole spice to make. We no eat anything that have preservative in it.
Some thing me can not find so me grow in the greenhouse like Shadow beni, and me own peppers me have good crop Chocolate Ghost they wicked hot man! All herb me use fresh. Me have barrel smoker outside me make Jerk in. Me also manage to grow little Pimento tree. Me grow all vegetable me use except yam and sweet potato, me lucky have large garden.
Me use lot off coconut oil and milk. Yam, sweet potatoes, pumpkin and breadfruit. Me make rice and peas with mix of Pigeon pea and black eye it always cooked with coconut milk.
Me happy answer questions about Jamaican food.

Peace and Jah blessing on all.
Kali-Ann
Me join to see what other people make and share Jamaican food ways.

Hello Kali-Ann and Welcome to DC.

What a lovely introduction. I'm sure you will enjoy reading and maybe trying some of the recipes posted here.
I'm guessing there will be quite a few who will enjoy your recipes as well.

Welcome! I've done some work for B&D Trawling back in the late '80s in Kingston. No idea if they are still in business. They were a conch and lobster exporter. I do use Scotch bonnet chilis in some of our cooking, but can't say I've specifically had Jamaican food. I live in south Florida and there are a lot of Jamaican expats living here. I have had Jamaican patties and liked them. My wife makes ox tails, but I'm not sure if they are Jamaican style. I know of ackee and saltfish, but have never tried it.

Hi man,

Thank you for welcome. Me have look around and see a lot me find interesting. Jamaican food is sometime no well understood. I see thread about curry goat some one ask what Jamaican food should taste like! The one thing me say is green gold is essential to pretty much everything, me posted recipe for this man.
Me imagine some surprise my family not vegan? it no so strange we Niyabinghi Rastafari we are allowed to eat the meat off animal just not off pig, and sometime drink alcohol. Bobo Ashanti and twelve tribes of Israel are far more strict man.

Me look forward to see what others make.

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

Welcome! I've done some work for B&D Trawling back in the late '80s in Kingston. No idea if they are still in business. They were a conch and lobster exporter. I do use Scotch bonnet chilis in some of our cooking, but can't say I've specifically had Jamaican food. I live in south Florida and there are a lot of Jamaican expats living here. I have had Jamaican patties and liked them. My wife makes ox tails, but I'm not sure if they are Jamaican style. I know of ackee and saltfish, but have never tried it.

Hi man!

Thank you. Me leave Jamaica in 81 with my husband me seem to remember B&D though. Many things change in Kingston and many not for good. Me understand Jamaican food still difficult to find, good and traditional anyways most places tone down for English people taste. Me love Ox tail man me make a lot. Pattys are something we can not have because we not know what inside, OK if me make own though. Ha man Ackee and saltfish is like traditional bacon and eggs, most we make for breakfast sadness is me can only get canned Ackee but me get saltfish. We also have Bami for breakfast also sometime with Yam porridge. Please try Ackee and saltfish is lovely man. Me read some of what you write man and you seem to have much experience with many foods.

Jah bless.

Kali-Ann

Hi dragnlaw man,

Thank you for welcome. Me have look around and see a lot me find interesting. Jamaican food is sometime no well understood. I see thread about curry goat some one ask what Jamaican food should taste like! The one thing me say is green gold is essential to pretty much everything, me posted recipe for this man.
Me imagine some surprise my family not vegan? it no so strange we Niyabinghi Rastafari we are allowed to eat the meat off animal just not off pig, and sometime drink alcohol. Bobo Ashanti and twelve tribes of Israel are far more strict man.

Me look forward to see what others make.

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

Hi man!

Thank you. Me leave Jamaica in 81 with my husband me seem to remember B&D though. Many things change in Kingston and many not for good. Me understand Jamaican food still difficult to find, good and traditional anyways most places tone down for English people taste. Me love Ox tail man me make a lot. Pattys are something we can not have because we not know what inside, OK if me make own though. Ha man Ackee and saltfish is like traditional bacon and eggs, most we make for breakfast sadness is me can only get canned Ackee but me get saltfish. We also have Bami for breakfast also sometime with Yam porridge. Please try Ackee and saltfish is lovely man. Me read some of what you write man and you seem to have much experience with many foods.

Jah bless.

Kali-Ann

In the late '80s and through the '90s, I did a lot of traveling in the Caribbean doing service work on compressors used to fill scuba bottles for diving facilities and Yachts. I ate quite a bit of seafood in various countries.

Last edited:
LOL - I once made a Goat Stew for my Jamaican BIL. Tried to make it hot for him but still be able to eat it myself. I did try to make it as original as I could get.
Only thing I found was sooo many bones! Seems that was all I did was spit out bones. Sort of took away from the experience a bit. Other than that it was good. At that time goat meat was pretty hard to find. I see it more often now. It is always frozen, never see it fresh.

In the late '80s and through the '90s, I did a lot of traveling in the Caribbean doing service work on compressors used to fill scuba bottles for diving facilities and Yachts. I ate quite a bit of seafood in various countries.

Yeah man,

Diving still popular, my husband and me go home every year the tourists love spear fish for king fish and Barracuda and sometime shark. Screechies in Hellshire beach cook for them if them bring what they catch man. The size of the Barracuda smaller now than when me young girl them massive then man! Barracuda beautiful on the grill man, simple with bit of Escovitch. Also mahi mahi very popular it may be known as Dolphin fish?? King fish steak in a curry sauce man hmmmm hmm. Served with good Callaloo fry Bami soooo good man!
Jah me hungry now.

Jah bless.

Kali-Ann

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Kali-Ann G. I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes. I used to go to a Jamaican resto in Montreal and their food was wonderful. The owners and staff were from Jamaica. I was very sad when the resto was sold to other people.

LOL - I once made a Goat Stew for my Jamaican BIL. Tried to make it hot for him but still be able to eat it myself. I did try to make it as original as I could get.
Only thing I found was sooo many bones! Seems that was all I did was spit out bones. Sort of took away from the experience a bit. Other than that it was good. At that time goat meat was pretty hard to find. I see it more often now. It is always frozen, never see it fresh.

Yeah man,
Curry goat can be full with bone, when me make mine me cut out as many bone as me can. Me no throw them away me make a stock and me push out the marrow before me burn the curry man. This keep all them wicked flavour. It take work but worth it. Me lucky me can get fresh goat meat here there many Caribbean stores around now day, me buy half a goat at one time and me cut up then put in freezer. Traditional we hang goat meat, make more tender and the flavours man!! Some places they say to me it goat it not man it mutton, this is problem for Niyabinghi Rastafari. Send me a message if you make again and I help you man!!

Jah bless,

Kali-Ann

Welcome to Discuss Cooking Kali-Ann G. I'm looking forward to seeing your recipes. I used to go to a Jamaican resto in Montreal and their food was wonderful. The owners and staff were from Jamaica. I was very sad when the resto was sold to other people.

Thank you for the welcome Taxlady!

Me happy be here, me put recipe for Jamaican green gold man, this base for almost every Jamaican dish man. Yeah man it sad to see Jamaican restaurants go away but this true with all food taste changes what popular today may not be so much tomorrow! Me say earlier Jamaican food no well understood, Jah forgive me for saying but many place say it Jamaican but it not.
Me have one principal with food me make, if it from the earth Jah give us whatever Jah make grow we can use we just need learn. Ackee before it open is deadly man. We learn from the Maroons them go out to hide and live free them learn what good and how we can use it. This knowledge pass down we Niyabinghi Rastafari try live in same way. They limitation to what we can get and no get. Me always try to make food Ital, we do not put chemical inside us, everything must be natural, clean and pure. Many thing me grow them ugly man! But Jah make them happen so who me say otherwise?

One favourite of my family is Bami, me take whole breadfruit and me roast on fire then me peel it. It go soft and tender man, me grate with Cassava and put little coconut milk then me press cut in triangle and me fry. This me always make with Ackee and saltfish, it also good with steam fish and Escovitch.
Please if me may help ask me man.

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Welcome to the forum!

I'm looking forward to hearing some of your recipes, being one who loves spicy foods, including that unique flavor of habanero peppers - one of those flavors found in a lot of Jamaican foods. Many other flavors of peppers - the reason I grow so many! I think it was only 18 varieties this year, but it's usually over 20.

Yeah man,

Diving still popular, my husband and me go home every year the tourists love spear fish for king fish and Barracuda and sometime shark. Screechies in Hellshire beach cook for them if them bring what they catch man. The size of the Barracuda smaller now than when me young girl them massive then man! Barracuda beautiful on the grill man, simple with bit of Escovitch. Also mahi mahi very popular it may be known as Dolphin fish?? King fish steak in a curry sauce man hmmmm hmm. Served with good Callaloo fry Bami soooo good man!
Jah me hungry now.

Jah bless.

Kali-Ann

You must remember hogfish also mistakenly called hogsnapper. You must miss conch? Unless you get it on trips home. I have a conch fritter, cracked conch and conch salad recipe which are excellent. I've been a scuba diver since I was 11, I'm commercially trained and taught recreational scuba up to instructor level for 12 years. I'm an avid underwater hunter and have caught my share of Caribbean lobster (crayfish) over the years. Getting tired of the same old recipes for them that I had to create my own.:yum:

You must remember hogfish also mistakenly called hogsnapper. You must miss conch? Unless you get it on trips home. I have a conch fritter, cracked conch and conch salad recipe which are excellent. I've been a scuba diver since I was 11, I'm commercially trained and taught recreational scuba up to instructor level for 12 years. I'm an avid underwater hunter and have caught my share of Caribbean lobster (crayfish) over the years. Getting tired of the same old recipes for them that I had to create my own.:yum:

Yeah man,

We call them gold snap. CraigC me am Niyabinghi Rastafarian we have thing we can not eat. This include scavenge animal, we eat no seafood that do not swim. Strange we OK with lobster! Our belief is you will not eat swine and no animal that feed on the carcase of other animal. To us this is unclean then them animal unclean. But it seem Lobster is hunter! This fine line between this. Me no sure about Conch. Me sorry but me will not take chance that me anger Jah. Me live as Jah say clean and whole, when Jah say me can eat this or that I do it, when Jah say me can not me do not.
Sorry

Jah bless

Kali-Ann

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom