Hello From A Food Writer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sadly, we missed that place when we were last in Philly, but I've heard of those sandwiches. :yum:

I was born and raised in the heart of Wisconsin dairy country, so Velveeta, along with any Kraft Singles type things, weren't really foods sought out when I was growing up. We used to call these products "plastic cheese" when we would see them on store shelves.

That said, my mom wasn't above using Velveeta in the holiday green bean casserole, because it had good melting properties. She also used to make a zucchini dish called "Zia Casserole" that came (I believe) from a church cookbook. I always loved that dish, and haven't been able to find it again since. But as I recall, it included evaporated milk, Velveeta, zucchini, onion, and bread crumbs. Sort of a zucchini gratin in a cheese sauce. Yummy stuff. It was also one of the few veggie sides my little brother (Mr. I-Hate-Vegetables) would devour.

I have always thought that recipe would be wonderful remade with Parmesan and sharp Cheddar, but thinking about it is as close as I have ever come to to actually remaking it. You've just made me think it might be worth a go, though.

Love this story-- absolutely lovely. Reminds me of my mom's mom-- she was from WV and that was the way she always made casserole (any casserole) for the holidays.

Mind if I quote you on this?

You know, I kind of like when someone comes in and "stirs up the pot a little", and I mean that in a totally positive way :)

The OP hasn't been back, or at least hasn't posted, but this has brought on a great discussion among members about a pretty mundane topic - Velveeta.

I still like the Velveeta Deluxe Kraft Dinner once in awhile, but it fills my craving for "nasty junk food" and I don't need it for at least a year! :LOL:

We have been looking after some young kids over the last year and I have been buying things I wouldn't normally for us - Cheese Whiz, ketchup and Kraft Peanut Butter. We eat mostly organic and the kids don't like my homemade ketchup or the natural PB I have made at the organic store! They want the REAL stuff :ROFLMAO:

"The REAL stuff"-- that cracks me up! Thanks for sharing your story! :)

Welcome to DC! I don't eat processed food. I do test drive recipes for a company, but the focus is on local produce, organic, and real food. However, there a lot of DCers who do cook using the ingredients about which you blog and you will get great input from them.

"The REAL stuff"-- that cracks me up! Thanks for sharing your story! :)

No Problem, I love telling them! :)

I do remember my Mom buying a block of Velveeta when I was young. I think it was fairly new on the market (at least here in Canada). She made me a sandwich with it for school and in those days the lunch kits weren't thermal so everything got warm. When I went to eat it the cheese oozed out all over the place. It was great but everyone was laughing. They asked what it was and soon several of my friends were bringing Velveeta sandwiches to school.

Oh, and I am glad to see you back. My comment was not a negative one. I do like when people get us going on topics like this. It is a lot of what DC is about!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC! I don't eat processed food. I do test drive recipes for a company, but the focus is on local produce, organic, and real food. However, there a lot of DCers who do cook using the ingredients about which you blog and you will get great input from them.

Thank you so much-- happy to be here! :chef:

I just got back from the store.
Velveta was on sale so I bought a block. ;)

It's not a cheese you'd have with crackers or a good wine but it has it's uses.

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale but since it was I couldn't resist.

For some things it's the taste I seek.

Perhaps it's nostalgia I seek. :rolleyes:

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and Mac & Cheese made with other cheeses but there is just something about those 2 dish's made with Velveeta that set them apart.

And it is helpful for quick & easy cheese sauces. Adding other cheeses to the sauce changes it away from the "Velveeta" taste some dislike.

IMHO it's not a cheese to serve without heating it up.
I wouldn't put it in a sandwich without grilling it or toss it in a salad but melted it's good stuff. :yum:

What the heck. Here are a few pics. Ingredients and recipes included.

Attachments

• IMG_0250 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0250 - Copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0249 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0249 - Copy.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0248 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0248 - Copy.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 119
I just got back from the store.
Velveta was on sale so I bought a block. ;)

It's not a cheese you'd have with crackers or a good wine but it has it's uses.

I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't on sale but since it was I couldn't resist.

For some things it's the taste I seek.

Perhaps it's nostalgia I seek. :rolleyes:

I love a good grilled cheese sandwich and Mac & Cheese made with other cheeses but there is just something about those 2 dish's made with Velveeta that set them apart.

And it is helpful for quick & easy cheese sauces. Adding other cheeses to the sauce changes it away from the "Velveeta" taste some dislike.

IMHO it's not a cheese to serve without heating it up.
I wouldn't put it in a sandwich without grilling it or toss it in a salad but melted it's good stuff. :yum:

What the heck. Here are a few pics. Ingredients and recipes included.

From the recipes, it seems that it is meant to heat up-- I hadn't thought about broccoli and cheese soup! Thanks for including those photos. :yum:

17% DV for sodium is on par with the amount in traditional cheeses.
That's surprising. I just checked the cheeses in my fridge, some cheddar, Parmigiano Regiano, Jarlsberg, and Danablu. 7-9% of DV for a 30g (not 28g) serving for the cheddar, parm, and Jarlsberg. I had to Google for the info on the Danablu and that one was a shocker at 3.3% salt, ~ 1.3% sodium and ~17% of DV for a 30 gram serving or ~15% for a 28 gram serving.

...Perhaps it's nostalgia I seek....
Nostalgia. You just reminded me of one of my Mom's uses for Velveeta - scrambled eggs. When she made them for her two darling grandkids, she would add half of the Velveeta right into the pan with the raw eggs. About halfway through, she put in the rest of the cheese. I didn't like them that way because I don't like my scrambled eggs that "wet", but I didn't care since she was making them for my kids. They LOVED them! Even now, at the age of 34, sometimes Goober will ask Loverly (who has perfected the method) "can you make us scrambled eggs like Grandma did?" :heart:

On our recent trip to Philadelphia, we enjoyed what many call the only authentic Philly Cheese Steak sandwich that needs to include Cheese Whiz...!
Pat's or Geno's? People get into real fights over which one is better. We tried them both. Pat's got two-thumbs up from us.

Ashlie you're more then welcome for the pics. :LOL:

If you want pics of the grilled cheese sammie I make with it just let me know. ;)

I'm not one to think about pics of my chow but if I know in advance I might remember to take one.
Otherwise it's down the hatch and gone forever. :yum:

GG & TL, I don't get hung up on labels. Yes I read them to see what I'm buying but a % here or there doesn't cause me any concern.
If it's the taste I desire and it doesn't contain an abundance of things thought bad for me then I'll consume it without a second thought.
You only live once and if you can't enjoy a simple thing like food then take me now. :mrgreen:

CG, "They LOVED them!" is what it's really all about now isn't it?

Excess = Bad. Enjoyment = Good.

I'll vote for good any day.

GG & TL, I don't get hung up on labels. Yes I read them to see what I'm buying but a % here or there doesn't cause me any concern.
If it's the taste I desire and it doesn't contain an abundance of things thought bad for me then I'll consume it without a second thought.
You only live once and if you can't enjoy a simple thing like food then take me now. :mrgreen:

I don't, either. I was responding to taxlady. You know, discussing cooking :LOL: I'm a salt fiend, in fact. Love it.

Nostalgia. You just reminded me of one of my Mom's uses for Velveeta - scrambled eggs. When she made them for her two darling grandkids, she would add half of the Velveeta right into the pan with the raw eggs. About halfway through, she put in the rest of the cheese. I didn't like them that way because I don't like my scrambled eggs that "wet", but I didn't care since she was making them for my kids. They LOVED them! Even now, at the age of 34, sometimes Goober will ask Loverly (who has perfected the method) "can you make us scrambled eggs like Grandma did?" :heart:

That is just about the sweetest story! :yum:

Hello, in Germany Velveeta is nearly unknown and those who have heard about it often simply call it "American cheese". Maybe the TTIP will change that...

Since you have kindled my interest I checked German websites for receipts. I found some advice on chefkoch.de. According to their forum Velveeta and cheddar are exchangeable and allegedly even the Subway restaurants in Germany use cheddar instead.

By the way, in German cooks love to use all sorts of cheese for gratin. Especially potatoes and cauliflower can be delicious "au gratin".

Back
Top Bottom