Hello from Beaverton Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoogey

Assistant Cook
The two things that I like to cook are stroganoff and clam chowder. I am constantly experimenting with both to find the perfect recipe.

I welcome any thoughts on either.

Thank you.

Chris

Hi Hoogey! I am originally from Oregon and also love clam chowder. I use James Beard's recipe - since he was also an Oregonian, I figure he knew how to make good chowder.

Fry four slices of bacon. When crisp, remove from pan, and saute 1 cup of celery (small dice), 1 cup of diced onion, 1/2 cup small dice carrots. After about 5 minutes, add 2 cups of finely chopped potatoes. Drain four small cans of chopped (not minced) clams and add the liquid to your vegetables. If that doesn't cover them, add some water or bottled clam juice. Cook for about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Add clams, about a cup of milk and a cup of cream or 1/2 and 1/2 (your choice) and a big knob of butter. Sprinkle with the crumbled bacon. If you want, you can also add a pinch of thyme (only a pinch). PLEASE don't thicken with flour or cornstarch...there is no way to cook it enough to get rid of the taste, and it will look and taste like wallpaper paste. You can adjust these proportions for numbers of servings and your own taste. Welcome to DC - you will like it here!

Welcome where is Beaverton Oregon? I have been up and down the oregon coast and have never heard of Beverton Love the state and would like to go back

welcome hoogey.

nice little town you've got there. i stayed in beaverton a few years ago, for training at the tektronix plant. i think i'm the only computer nerd that has ever brought his gear across country and skiied meadows and timberline. :cool:

hope you enjoy the site.

"Smash Hit" Clam Chowder recipe-Oregon style!

My "future ex-wife" is from Oregon and makes an award winning clam chowder...I know...I "borrowed" it from her-entered ACF Eastcoast competition-won...never here the end of it now-be happy to share.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom