Hello from California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlotte-Ca

Assistant Cook
I'm so glad to have found this forum. I'm a grandmother and I like to cook!

One of the things I like to do is bake bread although I'm fairly new at it. I've made several loaves in the past several months of wheat bread that was made with half whole wheat flour and have with bread flour. They were wonderful. Well tonight my success changed and I've encounter a problem that I had ages ago while trying to make some french bread...hence my search on the net to see if anyone had a solution.

Here's what happens...I make the bread using rapid yeast bread and I proof the yeast. I let the bread rise, then punch it down and shape it and let it rise again. It looks wonderful. I put it into my pre-heated oven and now all of a sudden it falls. Those nice rolls and the loaf of bread look sick is the only way I can describe it. They taste good but they have lost their spunk and fallen on their faces. What causes this? I have to say that I did switch brands of flour but I shouldn't think that is the cause.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I also like to bake bread. I always use regular yeast, not rapid rise. Sometimes bread will collapse because it has risen too long. Rapid rise yeast tends to make the bread rise quickly. That could be your problem. Try the regular dry yeast and see if it helps. Good luck. Let us know what happens.

I have found rapid rise yeast to be unreliable. Even if you proof it. I don't know who came up with the concept, but they need to go back to the drawing board. :angel:

Changed the yeast and success

Taking your suggestion I bought some regular yeast and tried that. I didn't want to go without homemade rolls at Christmas so I'm happy to report it worked. My rolls were a success.
Thanks.:yum:

Hey Charlotte/Neighbor,
I am in the south bay near Morgan Hill. My mom made yeast rolls every year but I miss them. Please post your success/recipe when you have time. I would like to try making them.Leftover turkey/gravy on one of those rolls rocked!

Yippee, another Californian. I am also new to DC and wondered how many of us there would be. Where in CA are you located? I am in the south, South Orange County near Irvine, to be exact, in a smallish (but sadly growing) town called Lake Forest. Needless to say, I love to cook and bake, but my other interests include my grandkids, bead weaving and glass fusing.

Hi there neighbor. I'm in San Diego, where we have had more rain than usual and it's colder than usual. I know where Lake Forest is because I commuted for many years to Orange Co. to work. I am now retired and enjoying every moment of it. For so many years I live/worked out of my suitcase and had little time to cook and sew, both of which I really like to do. So, what I thought I used to know is now being tested and I feel that I'm having to start all over again. My one big success at Christmas dinner besides my wheat yeast rolls was a Hazelnut liqueur Cheesecake. Yummy. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post the recipe over on the recipe section as I've been told I must do. That's where the recipe for my rolls are too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom