Hello from Columbus, Ohio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda0818

Head Chef
Just found this site today, in search of a comfy place to discuss all things food. I love to cook and love a variety of foods, from the occasional sinful treat to veggies and healthful dishes. I'm more into savory than sweet and I adore seafood and am a renowned wrap addict. Tortillas are a main staple that I always have on hand and will wrap just about anything up into them, so wraps are one of my favorite subjects. That and soup!

I welcome suggestions on favorite forums and topics you all enjoy, to discussions that may be of particular interest to me.

Welcome, Linda! :flowers:

I love wraps, too. Look around and jump on in! One of the most popular forums here is the daily dinner thread - I'm always inspired by it. :yum:

Welcome to the forum. I'm another that never runs out of corn tortillas! Speaking of wraps, do you like making tamales? I don't do them often, but something that I have done is to use banana leaves instead of the traditional corn husks - imparts a delicious flavor to the tamales.

Welcome to DC, Linda from Columbus! I dare say you will be welcome here; I don’t know about wraps, but I can’t think of a single member who doesn’t like soup. It’ll be fun to trade recipes!

Hi Linda, welcome and post pics. I watched a doco earlier about a double killing in Akron Ohio. Are you near there.?

Russ

LOL, Rascal. I sure hope it was a documentary set before 0818.

Welcome from West 57th Street in NYC, Linda.

Wow, nice tie-in with Akron, Rascal. :glare:

If we were to drive from our son's place in Akron, we would arrive in Columbus in about two hours. That's if we don't stop. Lots of places to check out along the way, though, so it might be a day-long drive.

Welcome to DC from south Florida! It is our vegetable growing season, which is also during one of our only two seasons, tourist and the other being summer. Both myself and my wife are very adventurous eaters and love trying different cuisines. Some of which are regional American, like Cajun and Creole.

Wow! First of all, let me say thanks again for all of the welcome's. I think I'm going to like it here. When I get the chance, that is. I'm rather busy these days, so if I disappear for a while, it doesn't mean I won't come back :)

Also thanks for all the tips. There are a few posts I want to respond to, since a few of you asked me questions. Thanks again!

Welcome, Linda! :flowers:

I love wraps, too. Look around and jump on in! One of the most popular forums here is the daily dinner thread - I'm always inspired by it. :yum:

Thank you for that tip. I will definitely check it out. And thank you to Cooking Goddess for providing the link.

Welcome to the forum. I'm another that never runs out of corn tortillas! Speaking of wraps, do you like making tamales? I don't do them often, but something that I have done is to use banana leaves instead of the traditional corn husks - imparts a delicious flavor to the tamales.

I've made my own tortillas before, but I've never made homemade tamales. My husband, who we just lost to cancer, loved those things, but would happily eat the ones you can buy in a jar. Blech.

The banana leaf idea is a good one. Never thought of that before.

Hi Linda, welcome and post pics. I watched a doco earlier about a double killing in Akron Ohio. Are you near there.?

Russ

No, we're not near Akron, but then driving in any direction from central Ohio, which is where I am, will put you anywhere in Ohio within 1-3 hours, depending on where you go. When we were kids, we also had a place up at Lake Erie and would spend all of our summers there, so I practically grew up there. But my homebase has always been central Ohio.

I like driving, I'm gunna do what's left of Route 66 one day.

Russ

Not long ago, I was watching Bizarre Foods (I'm hopelessly addicted to that show) and Andrew did a Route 66 episode and it was pretty epic. After watching that episode, I told myself that one day I was going on a road trip and that was the tip I was going to take.

Wow! First of all, let me say thanks again for all of the welcome's. I think I'm going to like it here. When I get the chance, that is. I'm rather busy these days, so if I disappear for a while, it doesn't mean I won't come back :)

Also thanks for all the tips. There are a few posts I want to respond to, since a few of you asked me questions. Thanks again!

Thank you for that tip. I will definitely check it out. And thank you to Cooking Goddess for providing the link.

I've made my own tortillas before, but I've never made homemade tamales. My husband, who we just lost to cancer, loved those things, but would happily eat the ones you can buy in a jar. Blech.

The banana leaf idea is a good one. Never thought of that before.

No, we're not near Akron, but then driving in any direction from central Ohio, which is where I am, will put you anywhere in Ohio within 1-3 hours, depending on where you go. When we were kids, we also had a place up at Lake Erie and would spend all of our summers there, so I practically grew up there. But my homebase has always been central Ohio.

Not long ago, I was watching Bizarre Foods (I'm hopelessly addicted to that show) and Andrew did a Route 66 episode and it was pretty epic. After watching that episode, I told myself that one day I was going on a road trip and that was the tip I was going to take.

I too love Andrew and have seen that program.

Russ

Hi and welcome. So sorry to hear about your husband. You'll find that this is a friendly place to be. All kinds of food & wrap's, recipes, and lot's of good cooks.

Back
Top Bottom