Hello from Europe :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm using store-bought all the time. To be fair, since it's a very typical "food" here in my country, most of the brands sold at stores are of pretty high quality.

Not sure about your part of the world. The key is to look for a type that only contains cabbage, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves... maybe caraway and all spice. Not all the spices have to be in there, but these are those that do belong there. Apples are added sometimes too.

There are some types with all kinds of additives and artificial flavors added, stay away from those.

Based on what I've read on the internet, the "German style" sauerkraut should be good and is available in the US.

This one looks good for example: https://wildbrine.com/product/raw-green-organic-sauerkraut/

Or this: https://www.instacart.com/products/56197-kuhne-barrel-sauerkraut-traditional-german-28-5-oz
This should be an amazing soup. I love soups and sauce but sometimes I struggle making them, if you can help with tips please do. Thank you

This should be an amazing soup. I love soups and sauce but sometimes I struggle making them, if you can help with tips please do. Thank you

I will have the recipe online on my blog soon, the video is in processing now :) It's pretty simple to make, will show you once it's done.

Hello everyone :)

My name is Matej, I'm from a small country in the middle of Europe and I just joined this forum so wanted to say hi.

I've always loved cooking, but recently got more into it because of... as you could have guessed... the pandemic and lockdowns that forced me to stay home a lot.

Since I have 3 kids, 2 of them in their puberty phase, we need to cook pretty much daily as those guys devour food like there is no tomorrow :) My wife cooks cause she has to, I do it because I really enjoy it.

I'm glad I found this forum, looks like an active community and I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of fun here.

Matej.

What country specifically? I'm new here too. Hi!

So you're in Europe but don't know quite where. Worse that a friend of mine. Has his own plane kinda, gets around to say the least. Does international mediation. He is Polish if you ever saw one but now lives in Barcelona. So he is a senior partner at a major international law firm and they bought him this plane for running clients around, not having the hassle of the airport. Also has been running a little cargo. HA, his plane has all these anti-terrorist gadgets, for like when he lets his girl on there. She can also fly, last I heard she was well on her way taking the course for it and may be a pilot now. Good, now she can do the work !

Anyway, if we knew more about where geographically you are we can maybe figure out the influences.

So, what would you like for dinner ?

T

Last edited:
So you're in Europe but don't know quite where. Worse that a friend of mine. Has his own plane kinda, gets around to say the least. Does international mediation. He is Polish if you ever saw one but now lives in Barcelona. So he is a senior partner at a major international law firm and they bought him this plane for running clients around, not having the hassle of the airport. Also has been running a little cargo. HA, his plane has all these anti-terrorist gadgets, for like when he lets his girl on there. She can also fly, last I heard she was well on her way taking the course for it and may be a pilot now. Good, now she can do the work !

Anyway, if we knew more about where geographically you are we can maybe figure out the influences.

T
He's in Slovakia. It's in his bio.

Is squattki Slovak ? My Grandmother used to make it and she was as Slovak as they come.

From memory so don't count on it.

sed ne seba phonetic mostly : sit down

dobre naughts : good night

t

T

Hello,

yup I'm in Slovakia as GotGarlic mentioned. I usually don't mention my country straight away since it's a small one and not many people in the US even know it exists :) There's just 5.5 million people living here so I'm not blaming anyone for not knowing it. But people usually get a ring bell when I mention our hockey players such as Hossa, Chara, Gaborik... we had quite a few playing in the NHL over the years.

Is squattki Slovak ? My Grandmother used to make it and she was as Slovak as they come.

From memory so don't count on it.

sed ne seba phonetic mostly : sit down

dobre naughts : good night

Very nice! Quite a few Slovaks left the country when times were tough in the past, I guess your grandmom was one of them.

Based on the phonetics you posted, I'd say she comes from the eastern or northern part where a similar dialect is spoken.

I tried to look up "squattki" but couldn't find anything, I guess you tried to write it based on the phonetics again but Im not able to find any meal that would carry a similar name. Do you remember what it was made of and what it looked like? Maybe a photo? It would be much easier to find it as I'm quite intrigued by now :)

But people usually get a ring bell when I mention our hockey players such as Hossa, Chara, Gaborik... we had quite a few playing in the NHL over the years.

I'm a Canadian, and I do recognize those names in the NHL. A couple of them defected to Canada during the World Juniors during one of those tough times in Slovakia. It was during those times when my son-in-law's mom came here with her kids.
Her cooking is a lot different from what I grew up with. My mom's family is French, and while we'd have braised cabbage sometimes, definitely no sauerkraut! Lentil soup with prunes and schitzel are other things her family loves. My daughter, not so much lol. I love seeing recipes and traditions from other cultures!

Hello,

yup I'm in Slovakia as GotGarlic mentioned. I usually don't mention my country straight away since it's a small one and not many people in the US even know it exists :) There's just 5.5 million people living here so I'm not blaming anyone for not knowing it. But people usually get a ring bell when I mention our hockey players such as Hossa, Chara, Gaborik... we had quite a few playing in the NHL over the years.

A Woman named Susan Madro. My great grandmother. I only met her a few times and she was very old. I remember she had none the good words or Tito. And she said with communim you do not own anything, your fridge, your anything.

Very nice! Quite a few Slovaks left the country when times were tough in the past, I guess your grandmom was one of them.

Well she came here. I know very little about her because she was getting old when I was getting out of diapers.

Based on the phonetics you posted, I'd say she comes from the eastern or northern part where a similar dialect is spoken.

Well I can try to find another spelling. Fact is it was never written to me.

I tried to look up "squattki" but couldn't find anything, I guess you tried to write it based on the phonetics again but Im not able to find any meal that would carry a similar name. Do you remember what it was made of and what it looked like? Maybe a photo? It would be much easier to find it as I'm quite intrigued by now :)

It is made from ham fat. in fact is cut into very small square and fried in a pan until they brown, then the grease comes out I believe it may have been a way to get lard.

T

It is made from ham fat. in fact is cut into very small square and fried in a pan until they brown, then the grease comes out I believe it may have been a way to get lard.

T

Ah right, I know what you mean now :) This is what these look like:

oskvarky.jpg

It's called "Oskvarky" or "Skvarky" you could pronounce it like schquorki or something like that, the English word is likely: scratchings.

And yes, it's quite a traditional thing to make in Slovakia and surrounding countries. That's how pork lard is made. Basically you just cut the fat of pork (the part bacon is made of) into cubes, about 1 inch in size or smaller then fry them until they become golden brown. Its good to leave a small bits of meat on the fat too, these turn into crispy goodness ;) But not too much meat, just a tiny bit here and there.

When starting the frying process, you need to add a bit of water into the pot, so the cubes don't stick to the bottom of the pot. Once the fat starts to render, it's easy, just stir frequently.

Once the scrappings are done, just sift the rendered fat, let it cool and you have a wonderful lard to work with.

And it can be done from other meat types too, doesnt have to be just pork. Wildboar works great, duck as well or even beef. You just need to select the fatty parts.

Last edited:
I'm a Canadian, and I do recognize those names in the NHL. A couple of them defected to Canada during the World Juniors during one of those tough times in Slovakia. It was during those times when my son-in-law's mom came here with her kids.
Her cooking is a lot different from what I grew up with. My mom's family is French, and while we'd have braised cabbage sometimes, definitely no sauerkraut! Lentil soup with prunes and schitzel are other things her family loves. My daughter, not so much lol. I love seeing recipes and traditions from other cultures!

No surprise you recognize these names as a Canadian, you guys love hockey more than anyone I guess :) It's an extremely popular sport in my country too.

No surprise you recognize these names as a Canadian, you guys love hockey more than anyone I guess :) It's an extremely popular sport in my country too.

My Home town of Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan is known as Hockey town USA. The Detroit Red Wings used to train there. Our university, Lake Superior State University won the NCAA championship twice while I attended there. Hockey is very big in the U.S. as well.

Oh, and just in case I haven't said it yet, welcome to DC.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My Home town of Sault Sainte Marie, Michigan is known as Hockey town USA. The Detroit Red Wings used to train there. Our university, Lake Superior State University won the NCAA championship twice while I attended there. Hockey is very big in the U.S. as well.

Oh, and just in case I haven't said it yet, welcome to DC.

Oh nice, there've been some Slovaks playing in the Red Wings team... Tomas Kopecky, Marian Hossa, Tomas Tatar...

Oh nice, there've been some Slovaks playing in the Red Wings team... Tomas Kopecky, Marian Hossa, Tomas Tatar...

I'm ware of the importance, and talent your nation brings to hockey. And now, you bring your nations culinary expertise. I only hope we can give as much as you bring.:)

Back
Top Bottom