Hello from Europe :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookwewill

Senior Cook
Hello everyone :)

My name is Matej, I'm from a small country in the middle of Europe and I just joined this forum so wanted to say hi.

I've always loved cooking, but recently got more into it because of... as you could have guessed... the pandemic and lockdowns that forced me to stay home a lot.

Since I have 3 kids, 2 of them in their puberty phase, we need to cook pretty much daily as those guys devour food like there is no tomorrow :) My wife cooks cause she has to, I do it because I really enjoy it.

I'm glad I found this forum, looks like an active community and I'm sure it's gonna be a lot of fun here.

Matej.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello cookwewill. Welcome to the forum of DC!

Glad you've joined us. Customs/thoughts from around the world are fascinating!

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2] What is the national dish of Slovakia?

Hm, we have a few, but the most typical would be this:

4ZF-kLC_NfdEhHSFARxx0xFagN1Xi6vPT9WeJN9XxkRzu6uGBNYhPbmIXs0C2NGTS0k9DU-pLtpAjFP8EmQGgfB6a8-7IfxigmFfoMmQ1IAdHZjG9DHe6RF2QvdFc5aSSlPV

It's called "Bryndzove halusky" so Bryndza dumplings. Bryndza is a specific type of sheep milk cheese that's only available in my part of the world, it's a bit similar to Feta.

But generally speaking, there is a strong overlap with the surrounding countries and you can find the same dishes in all of them... various schnitzel types, goulash, pork knuckle, we use saurekraut a lot...

I've never made sauerkraut, one of the things on my to-do list. I know others here have... LOL one day!

I'm making a great thick soup from sauerkraut, just finished shooting a video recipe for it this week, it's in processing now. The final "product" looks like this :)

1LtPfAs.jpg

So, your food is much like that of Northern Italy, Hungary, Germany, and other Northern European nations then, rich with mutton, pork, lamb, with hearty, rib-sticking qualities that will help warm you on a cold winter's day. Does Slovakia have any famous sausages

I love sour kraut, and used t male it. I'm not allowed to eat it any more as it is high in sodium (heavy sigh) A good schnitzel, well that's a meal worth eating.

You will fit in very well here. I look forward to sharing recipes, and just conversing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

So, your food is much like that of Northern Italy, Hungary, Germany, and other Northern European nations then, rich with mutton, pork, lamb, with hearty, rib-sticking qualities that will help warm you on a cold winter's day. Does Slovakia have any famous sausages

I love sour kraut, and used t male it. I'm not allowed to eat it any more as it is high in sodium (heavy sigh) A good schnitzel, well that's a meal worth eating.

You will fit in very well here. I look forward to sharing recipes, and just conversing.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Yup, you pretty much nailed it! Our food is heavily meat based these days, mutton and lamb is not that popular, but pork, beef, chicken... that's consumed en masse :)

Sausages... hell yes! That's almost like a national thing :) The typical Slovak sausage is vey similar to what you can find in Poland and Hungary. I think if you buy a Polish Kielbasa in US, it would be similar to what we have here.

The typical sausages are smoked. Let me attach an image, this is what it looks like in a smoker :)

2O8A10q.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Our son-in-law's family is from Slovakia, and I love cooking for him. Pig's feet, oxtail, bacon jam -- and I get Russian kolbasa for them, too. Sadly, neither my daughter nor I are fans of sauerkraut, though kimchee's ok lol.

Looking forward to seeing your recipes!

I love thick soups. Would it be possible to make that with "store bought" sauerkraut?

I'm using store-bought all the time. To be fair, since it's a very typical "food" here in my country, most of the brands sold at stores are of pretty high quality.

Not sure about your part of the world. The key is to look for a type that only contains cabbage, salt, peppercorns, bay leaves... maybe caraway and all spice. Not all the spices have to be in there, but these are those that do belong there. Apples are added sometimes too.

There are some types with all kinds of additives and artificial flavors added, stay away from those.

Based on what I've read on the internet, the "German style" sauerkraut should be good and is available in the US.

This one looks good for example: https://wildbrine.com/product/raw-green-organic-sauerkraut/

Or this: https://www.instacart.com/products/56197-kuhne-barrel-sauerkraut-traditional-german-28-5-oz

Last edited:
I love thick soups. Would it be possible to make that with "store bought" sauerkraut?
This should be an amazing soup. I love soups and sauce but sometimes I struggle making them, if you can help with tips please do. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom