Hello from South Texas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeriBeck

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone. I stumbled onto this site when trying to find an anchovies conversion while making Caesar dressing for the first time. I had paste, but no filets. Anyway, it all worked out. The topics I have scanned so far seem very interesting and you people all seem very friendly. I think I could get lost going down wormholes here. I am going to look over the “cooking links” next. I look forward to new links to discover.

Hi Teri, and welcome! I'm an old member here, although I've been MIA during the pandemic. I'm back to hang out again.

Yep, you'll soon be lost down the worm holes here. We LOVE folks with humor!

Your pickles are hollow? Did you find the answer here? Inquiring minds need to know!

Welcome to the DC kitchen, by the way.:chef:
Honestly I don't understand what's meant by hollow about pickle. Does that mean the pickle is not seasoned or something?

Honestly I don't understand what's meant by hollow about pickle. Does that mean the pickle is not seasoned or something?
lastman
I think it means to be actually hollow inside.

Pickle Queen
Could you be using fairly large pickles? I sometimes notice that large pickles or huge cucumbers tend to be hollow inside, purely from growth.

lastman
I think it means to be actually hollow inside.

Pickle Queen
Could you be using fairly large pickles? I sometimes notice that large pickles or huge cucumbers tend to be hollow inside, purely from growth.
Also pickle is different here I guess. We never pickle cucumber. Here the most popular pickle is made with green chillies, shallot onions, together with another item such as thinly sliced unripe papaya, mango, carrot etc., seasoned in mustard cream, vinegar, and salt.

Also pickle is different here I guess. We never pickle cucumber. Here the most popular pickle is made with green chillies, shallot onions, together with another item such as thinly sliced unripe papaya, mango, carrot etc., seasoned in mustard cream, vinegar, and salt.

In North America, that would be a pickle too, but we would call it a mixed pickle or a chile pickle or some other descriptive term before the word pickle. When we just say pickle, we mean a pickled Kirby cucumber, or possibly, a pickled Gherkin cucumber.

Here's A Brief Guide to Types of Cucumbers. There are pictures and descriptions. Gherkins are #5 on this list and Kirbys are #6.

Regions with huge amounts of produce have a tendency to 'pickle' excess. Having more than one can eat at anytime, pickling is a way to be able to enjoy in the off season.

Or as in the particular case of cucumber's - anytime is a good time for dills, bread and butter, etc. Don't know my favourite... dills or pickled spice beets.

Extra 'condiments' on the table so to speak.

Yes its only the bigger cukes it seems so I will stick to small. And the hollow ones im going to cut the top, pour the juice and stuff with cream cheese. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom