Hello from Southwest Georgia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomcat1066

Assistant Cook
Hi there everyone!

I'm Tom and I'm from Albany, Georgia. Haven't heard of it? No big deal...but it IS the home town of Paula Deen, for what that's worth :)

I first learned how to cook (sort of) back when I was 12 years old and have always enjoyed the looks on people's faces when they are enjoying something I cooked. However, I never really looked at this as a passion or anything until very recently.

That change came about because of a lifestyle change I made to try and get healthy, and a desire to find recipes that would make the new diet even more palatable. (It wasn't bad to start with) I started trying new recipes and found how awesome it is to push my boundaries in the kitchen. In fact, last night I sauteed my first vegetables last night and they turned out awesome.

Now, I want to be exposed to new ideas to keep pushing those boundaries...and I hope I can help a few more folks push those boundaries in their own lives :D

Tom

A bit. I've had a lot of trouble finding events except for one locally, so I only get out about once per year. Still, I have a blast with it and wish I could do it more :)

hiya tom, and welcome to our happy circle here at dc. what is this"rendezvous" activity that you and hoot are referring to? your latent discovery of a passion for food and cooking/baking in your life is exciting to hear. many kindred spirits in this forum share a love of food and cooking/baking with you, or like me, are working on a life-changing transition involving our eating habits. feel free to "weigh in" at any of our ongoing threads, or start one of your own....

hiya tom, and welcome to our happy circle here at dc. what is this"rendezvous" activity that you and hoot are referring to? your latent discovery of a passion for food and cooking/baking in your life is exciting to hear. many kindred spirits in this forum share a love of food and cooking/baking with you, or like me, are working on a life-changing transition involving our eating habits. feel free to "weigh in" at any of our ongoing threads, or start one of your own....

Thanks Vitauta. A "rendezvous" is a reenactment of the fur trapper era of American history. We basically portray various types of trappers and whatnot from that era (with a healthy dose of natives running around apparently) and have a great time :)

I'll definitely have to weigh in. I'm down just over 25 lbs so far, but still have another 30 or so to go!

Hello and welcome to DC :)

Thanks Kylie :D

I must apologize for the lateness of my response. Mrs Hoot and I went to spend the weekend in Va Beach with her sisters (She has 6.)
I am a member of OVPR (Olde Virginia Primitive Riflemen). We have two events ever' year;in the spring and in the fall. Matter of fact our fall rendezvous is the weekend of Oct.25-28 this year. I reckon there are events up and down the the east, the trick is to find them. I ain't been there but the Alifia River Rendezvous is held ever' year and a fair number of folks from our area travel there. I believe it is held in the early part of the year.
Couple of links for you to explore.
Our website The Olde Virginia Primitive Riflemen (which I reckon I need to apologize for that too. I ran it for over ten years and it was decided that a younger hand was needed so it is in the middle of an overhaul)
The Florida Frontiersmen, sponsors of the Alifia River Rendezvous

If you are ever up this way at Rendezvous time, there is always room for your lodge and a spot by the fire, ol' Hoss!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hoot. I understand about the delay. Been to Va. Beach many, many times. I used to be stationed in Portsmouth back in my Navy days, and your vacation locale was our playground on weekends.

If I'm up your way for an event, I'll be sure to give you a holler and meet up :mrgreen:

That's fine Bakechef...I appreciate the welcome, even if I'm having to shun breads and most other baked goods for the time being :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom