Hello! ..got a question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonova

Assistant Cook
Hi guys. My name is Nate and I'm from Connecticut. I joined this site to find some local people who could help me out. My soon-to-be wife loves to cook and is really good. We both love watching pretty much all cooking shows and she wants to step it up and take some lessons or classes. I've researched a bit on the internet, but I've learned that usually the best source of information is from the people - not random sites. There are so many cooking classes - which one should I chose? (Hartford area). I wasn't sure which forum to pose this question - if I need to move it that is fine. Thanks for the help!

You'd think a moderator might help me out here or at least someone local.

I'm not local, but have a suggestion. If you are relatively new to cooking classes, a basic skills class might be a good place to start. When I went to cooking school, all the culinary and hospitality arts students were required to take it. It covered knife skills mostly, as well as some basic techniques. Beyond that, take what interests you! You might also talk with the folks offering the classes to see which they would recommend as a start.

Hi Nate. Welcome to the site. It is very possible we just do not have anyone in the Hartford area who could help you. The moderators would no more know of classes in your area that are worth your time then you would know of ones in their area.

Thanks for the replies.... didn't mean to get snippy, but the wedding is in 8 days and I need to put this together FAST! There has to be someone on this site from CT that might know SOMETHING?

The institute only talks of recreational cooking classes. They don't seem to know jack about them when I called. So frustrating.

Nonova, I don't know why you find it so surprising that we seem to have no members here from Hartford Ct. to help you. With a population of 125,000 (according to Google) you're city and mine are about the same size. I've yet to meet anyone here from Ventura, Ca. Perhaps you should check with your city website.

Nonova, I don't know why you find it so surprising that we seem to have no members here from Hartford Ct. to help you. With a population of 125,000 (according to Google) you're city and mine are about the same size. I've yet to meet anyone here from Ventura, Ca. Perhaps you should check with your city website.

Connecticut is small, unlike Cali. We break it down to pretty much two areas; Hartford area & New Haven area. So not just from Hartford..... anyone from CT would be helpful

Nonova, this isn't a joke, but just an attempt to be helpful. I have no desire to be a professional cook, but simply wanted some theory and some refinement on my basic skills (like the proper way to use a knife.) I love those cooking shows. I saw an ad for Top Chef University and decided it was worth a peek at its very cheap price. I'm pleasantly surprised by the instruction. While there is no one-on-one interaction, there are several blogs from "students" to discuss what one does and even an official site to give you feed back. Plus, I'm having a blast with it. While I view it as riding a scooter in the Harley Davidson club, it may be fun for your wife-to-be and for you as you could view the lessons and practice together.

I totally know it is not what you are seeking, but just trying to help.

~Kathleen

Nonova,
I hope I am not too late in answering your post. I am still a novice at this forum. I have fond memories of Connecticut, even though I only lived there for one year.
I got married in New Haven and my green card in Hardford, many years ago.
I have succesfully chef-owned for 12 years and what helped me most was watching "Chefs of the West" and "Chefs of the world" on the Discovery channel.

Back
Top Bottom