Hello there!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VacraMassanie

Assistant Cook
Hello all! I'm new here...so...I guess you want to know a little bit about me, eh? I'm about to turn 21 (September 11th!) and am very excited to be able to buy wine without having to beg my folks or boyfriend to buy it for me. I'm currently in college to be a special education teacher and am working at the same time as a LIFT para and also as a home para for some of my students. If you don't happen to live in northeastern Kansas, LIFT stands for Learning through Intensive Functional Teaching and is a special education program in certain public school districts directed specifically at children with severe autism. My kiddos are pretty awesome and I'm hoping that after I graduate I'll be able to find another LIFT classroom in need of a teacher (rather than jumping up to an SIL level or something like that). Outside of school, I love fashion, woodworking, poetry, languages, dancing, and gardening. I am the proud mommy to two cats, Thor and Nala, a gecko named Torg, and a fish named Pete, and I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to let me adopt a pair of rats - it's a work in progress.

In terms of cooking, well, I'm not great, but I'm not terrible either. I'm much better at baking than cooking but love to dream up dishes while I'm wandering around the farmer's market or butcher shop; I just don't seem to have the skills to translate the meal in my head to the meal on the table quite right. But practice makes perfect, right? I love to go fishing and am learning how to bowhunt so I'm especially excited to learn some recipes to go along with that. Let's see, what else....I have a fairly large veggie garden and a smaller herb garden in my backyard. Nothing got planted this last spring because we thought we were moving, but that fell through so I'm looking at putting some fall lettuce or broccoli by the end of the month. Oh, and I'm a huge Alton Brown fan (you know, that crazy guy on Food Network). So a vast majority of his recipes get trial runs in my kitchen. Like the other day I tried his recipe for baby back ribs - it was good, but not great. Probably something I messed up, as usual. yet another work in progress, lol.

So, yeah...that was a pretty long introduction but now you know more about me than you'll probably ever need to know. :D Now I'm off to pick some brains about dietary restrictions and birthday parties...

Hello, VacraMassanie. Welcome to DC. Well, Martha Stewart should be jealous of you and all your varied interests. I'll bet Martha never went bow hunting.

Congrats on trying things. That's how you learn. You've definitely come to the right place to ask questions and get answers. We're glad you've found us.

Welcome to DC! Glad you found this website. You sound fascinating. I have a 21 yr. old daughter who is a senior in college so I enjoyed reading about your interests, accomplishments and ambitions. You are quite a gal! Have fun with DC!

Welcome to DC!

I also made Alton Brown's ribs and didn't like them all that much. I think it was the recipe, not you (or me).

How do you find time for all your interests?

What language is your signature and what does it say?

Wow! All sorts of speedy replies! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside now :D

Finding time for everything I'm interested in...now that can be quite a challenge at times. It helps that I'm off so early in the afternoon. My students' day ends at 2:50 and since our kids aren't exactly the kind to stick around, I just have to clean up and leave. I try and make sure that I get something done on at least one project every day to keep them all moving forward. For example, until recently I shot ten rounds of six arrows (since I only own six arrows, lol) every afternoon. Then my bow broke because it was a crappy hand-me-down, so now that time is devoted to using my woodworking skills and a lot of library books to build a new one.

As for my signature...well, it's an artifical language. Quenya, to be exact. For those of you who aren't fantasy fans, that would be the ancient language of the Elves in Tolkien's Middle Earth. Not Sindarian (the language the Elves spoke in Lord of the Rings). If Sindarian was English, Quenya would be Latin. It was the ancient mother language, but by the time LotR rolled around it was pretty much dead and very few understood it anymore. It's also the language I used for my user name. Vacra means wild, and Massanie was the title of the Lady or the highest of the elven-women. It litterally means "breadgiver" because she was the only one who had the right to keep or give away the precious lembas bread (the nutritious bread that would stay fresh for months when wrapped in leaves). Therefore, Vacramassanie would roughly translate as "the Lady of the wild". It's the title I was given by my equally geeky friends since I'm the only girl who goes hunting and fishing and camping and the like. Here's the translation for my signature, though some would argue with my translation of the last line:

Who shall hear the wind roaring
like leaves of forests?

The stars tremble in the voice of her holy song.

(the alternative translation is, "The stars tremble in the voice of her song, holy and queenly.")

Welcome

:chef:welcome to a wonderful cooking site I have been here a short while and realy like it , If you ever come across a possum recipe let me have it:LOL: Jump in get your feet wet ask then ask again some body will know the answer.

Back
Top Bottom