Hello there!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheLogger

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone! I'm a 22 year old male who's living on his own and going to school (I'm neither Canadian nor am I a logger...this username comes from an inside joke).
For the most part, I'm pretty healthy and I'd really like to keep it that way. Living alone has its challenges in terms of food. The easiest way to get food is through fastfood, but that's not healthy. The healthy options are quite expensive so instead, I cook my own food (mostly boring stuff).
Hopefully I will be able to get help from you all!

Welcome to DC! You can cook healthy options without breaking the food budget. The first thing is stock up on the staples you use when they are on special. Watch for meat specials and plan several meals around one package/cut of meat. The other is to buy as much as possible that is local and in season. Another is to find a bulk or health food store that sells small quantities of spices and herbs. You can also grow some fresh herbs in a window in pots (parsley, thyme, basil grow well and are versatile). The other is to learn to improvise. Indian foods can be quite inexpensive to make if you have access to the ingredients. The budget meals thread has lots of great budget stretching recipes and ideas for healthy foods that are not expensive. And, try not to depend on too many prepared foods. Learn to make what you like from scratch or using a limited number of prepared foods.

Welcome. Anything you learn to cook here will be better than the fast food joints. Start simple and have fun with it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom