"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2006, 05:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Question Help with a cooking term

Can anyone please tell me what the term is for when one trims fat off of meat? I know it is Paring with vegetables and fruit but is there a special term for meat? Thank you

liralovesjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #2
Master Chef
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Culpeper, VA
Posts: 5,803
Someone far more knowledgeable than I might know for sure, but frankly I don't think there is a specific term. I believe in every cookbook & cooking show I've read/seen, instructions are just "trimmed of all excess fat".
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef
Andy M.'s Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 49,098
Welcome aboard. I have always call it trimming. I don;t know if there is a more specific term.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,716
Welcome liralovesjesus! As the others have said, I have not heard of a specific term for trimming the fat.

I'm glad you have joined us. Take a look through the site and I'm sure you will agree that this is a great place to be!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.