Here I Am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HistoricFoodie

Senior Cook
Central Kentucky---Where The Bluegrass Meets The M
Hi, everyone. Several members had recommended I join this community, and I've finally signed on.

My name is Brook, and I am a freelance writer with gardening and culinary arts among my specialties. I've been cooking, both as a home cook and professionally, since I was 8 years old. Won't tell you how long that's been, but I've seen 11 presidents.

I'm particularly involved with the foodways of colonial North America, and have written two books on the subject. As part of this, along with my bride of 45 years, I run the historic gardens and foodways interpretations at a restored 18th century frontier fort.

I'm greatly involved in the heirlooms movement, have been for nearly a quarter century. So much so, that I won't put a hybrid in the ground, as much for political reasons as horticultural ones.

We live in central Kentucky, on 13 acres, most of which we leave wild. The rest is used for our extensive vegetable gardens.

So, that's a little about me.

Welcome. You know, I've never counted, but I see I'm up to eleven, too. Twelve, if you count Truman, but I don't remember him. That's a quarter of those 44 buggers! That's sort of strange.

I just ordered Mark Kurlansky's "Food of a Younger Land" from my local library. Descriptions lead me to believe that it is primarily about the 20th century before World War II. Can you recommend any titles that focus more on the 18th and 19th centuries?

Mark Lurlansky is one of my favorite food historians. Anyone who hasn't read his "Salt" and "Cod" doesn't deserve to call themself a foodie. I haven't read "Food of a Younger Land" as yet. Isn't that the one dealing with the WPA's America Eats project for out-of-work writers?

Let's see, in terms of the 18th century, I'll have to confine myself to titles that are available in reprints. Keep in mind that I'm dealing, primarily, with English cookbooks, because my focus is British North America. Understand, too, that there was no copyright law back then, and many of these books seem samee-same because they pick up recipes and text from each other with abandon.

In order of importance (that is, their usefullness in colonial and federalist times):

1. Hannah Glasse, "The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy." First published in 1745, Art of Cookery went through something like 30 editions, and influenced both cooks and other writers well into the 19th century. It's been reprented many times, and copies are readily available.

2. John Farley, "The London Art of Cookery." First published in 1787, it picks up stuff from several earlier works. London Art was particularly popular with those who ran inns, ordinaries, and other food-service establishments. To my knowledge it's only been reprinted once, but is moderately available.

3. Elizabeth Smith, "The Compleat Housewife." First published in 1729, many other 18th century cookbooks were based on it. It was reprinted in 1968, in hardback, then later in soft cover. The hardback is a facsimile reproduction and is harder to find.

4. Amelia Simmons, "American Cookery." Published in 1796, this is considered the first American cookbook. It's important both for that reason, and for some of the insights she provides to period foodstuffs. It's recently been reprinted, again, in softback.

5. Mary Randolph, "The Virginia Housewife." Although published in 1823, it represents Mary Randolph's experiences as a hostess to upscale Virginians. She had been a plantation owner, and ran an upscale boarding house (more like a salon) that catered to the FFVs. Very commonly available.

This should get you started. Your local library might have some of them. If not, they can likely find them through the ILL.

If you want more, I have a list of 23 source materials in the back of both my books.

Last edited:
As a regular participant in Living History (1725-1840) events, I would be interested to avail myself of your books. I have always found the early American history of food to be a fascinating subject. While my endeavors to recreate history rarely leads indoors, I find great enjoyment trying to recreate colonial food.

Waugh! Hoot. Thanks for the welcome.

Living history is how we first got interested in period cookery. Never understood the typical reenactor, who takes great pains to assure everything is accurate, and then throws a couple of burgers on the fire for supper. IMO, you cannot understand a culture if you skip what they ate and how they prepared it. Food, and its availability, more than anything else, can determine world view.

Anyway, if you're interested in my books, contact me privately. If I understand the rules properly, I'm not supposed to promote their sale in the forums.

Or did I read that wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Aboard Historic Foodie

Just a short message to say, it is great to have you aboard.

As you know, I too love the historic details of international cuisines, and especially the Mediterranean ... The Conquistadores and the slaves and shepherds of the varying ages, have all had a hand ... in stirring the rich pot ... that is the cuisines of today.

So good to see u on line again.

Margi Cintrano.

Last edited:
From Across The Atlantic

You cannot imagine, what a pleasure it is to have you contributing your culinary brillance and " therapeutic " wise advice and suggestions, online once again. You are truly a cool dude.

Yes, expatriate however, with dual Citizenship ( makes my life much easier having two passports ), however, it has been 17 years on the other side of the Atlantic for me, in the Mediterranean ( have lived in 3 countries since 1994 ) for the positive and for the negative ...

My friend, it is Tapas ( meze, antipasti, small plates ) hour ...

Kindest. Margaux.

Do you know how to set up Avatar Photo yet ?

Brook, Historic Foodie,

Could u help me out ? I wish to put my foto Avatar on --- I set up gallery however, cannot figure out the how to do´s so that each of my threads and post, have my foto and quote too ???

Thanks,
Margaux.

If you've set up your signature and saved it, but it doesn't appear, go back to the User CP page where you went before for Edit Your Details, but this time go down below that to the Edit Options area in Setting and Options. Go down to the third block of options, to Thread Display Options. Check the boxes you want in Visible Post Elements, usually all three boxes.

Thread Display Options
Visible Post Elements
You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.
[X]Show Signatures
[X]Show Avatars
[X]Show Images (including attached images and images in
I]

For my seventh grade science project, I crafted the human digestive system in clear PVC tubing on particle board. I injected red-dyed saliva, green-dyed bile, yellow pancreatics, etc. When I released the clamp at the end, the class threw a fit, and I got an A. I try to keep in mind that our personal strengths and weaknesses are also relative.

I've been enjoying your posts the past couple days, Brook, and wanted to shout out a belated Welcome!

Well, I'm glad somebody understands that stuff, GLC. Thanks for answering.

Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. Me, I'm a great writer. But technologically an idiot. Comes, I guess, from envisioning an electron as about the size and shape of a green pea.

You mean they aren't?!?:angel::LOL:

Thanks for the welcome, Spork. Now if you could get me my old typewriter back, that would be a scientific breakthrough.

Of course they are, PrincessFiona. Well, more like small cowpeas, p'raps.

Reminds me of a buddy's signature line. "No trees were destroyed sending this message. But several electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Thanks for the welcome, Spork. Now if you could get me my old typewriter back, that would be a scientific breakthrough.

Of course they are, PrincessFiona. Well, more like small cowpeas, p'raps.

Reminds me of a buddy's signature line. "No trees were destroyed sending this message. But several electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

My signature sometimes reads, "No electrons were harmed sending this message. They may have been excited."

Thanks to all of you for the instructions on how to get my Avatar on.

Appreciate it greatly.

I am as Techi as a peanut ... however, slowly but surely have been mastering the difficult tasks ...

Have a fab Superbowl Sunday. We are off to our favourite Sportsbar with enormous wide screen tv´s to watch ( we are in Spain ) ...

Mercí, Muchas Gracías.
Margaux

Back
Top Bottom