Hi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cee5222

Assistant Cook
I've never been in a forum before so I hope I'm doing this right. ;)

I have a glass top stove that I love. Unfortunately, the oven quit on me today. I can get a new heating element tomorrow but I have company coming tonight and need to bake cornbread. I have a heat diffuser and have used cast iron to fry and cook with on top. Can I bake on top of it too? The recipe calls for a 400 degree oven. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I'm hoping to learn and share a lot on this site!

Connie

Welcome to DC Miss Connie. My suggestion is just make your regular cornbread batter and spoon it into a little hot oil in your cast iron skillet. With a little butter spread on top it will be delicious!! Also, a change of pace from baked in the oven bread!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!

Thank you for the suggestion and the warm welcome! I used a diffuser, turned the burner on low and kept a close eye on it. It turned out just fine! Whew!!! Thanks for the help!

Hi, Connie. Welcome to DC. Glad your little "situation" turned out well. Sometimes, for a change of pace, I stir up a batch of my regular cornbread batter and spoon it on a hot, greased griddle. A little like pancakes. They puff up nice and are fun to eat instead of slices of cornbread the traditional way. Fun when we have chili, too.

Baking on glass top w/cast iron

Unfortunately, the cost of a new element is not within my budget, so I have been experimenting all week. I think I have the hang of this now. The pictures on here helped immensely! I have baked a cake, a pie and cookies. I have to admit tho, the cookies were a bit harder to bake. I guess it was because they were so small. I burned two batches before I figured out what temp to use. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new element before the holidays. I hate to think about trying to bake a turkey, dressing and rolls! LOL!

I really enjoy reading thru this site. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Connie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom