Hi from a cake decorator who's learning how to bake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leighbakes

Assistant Cook
Hi there! My name is Leigh, and I'm a professional cake decorator--but I can't bake. I've decided to learn how, so I'll no doubt be posting lots of questions in here as I go!

Follow me as I learn the art of measuring and mixing, and feel free to laugh at all the mistakes I make along the way. I'd also welcome any baking veterans who could offer advice when I screw up! I hope you stop by.

Looking forward to meeting you,
Leigh

Last edited by a moderator:
Your blog is cute. Loved the story about the icing sugar mix up. Welcome.

So...Leighbakes, If I was to start up cake decorating, what would I do first. I have done birthday cakes with "stars" for years on shaped pans, but have never ventured any further than that. What would be next on my list to do? I can bake the cakes, I just need to know where to go as far as learning how to do more with my decorating. Too bad we don't live closer. :)

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone!

Chopper: You're right, it sounds like we would make a pretty good team, what with our opposite talents. :) There are lots of ways to approach decorating, but I think that the most important thing to remember is that experimentation is key; sometimes you'll start with one idea and end with something totally different, and sometimes this makes for the best results! I guess what I'd first recommend is going to a craft store and buying some frosting piping bags and a few cool-looking metal tips. Take them home, fill the bags with frosting, and just practice using the different tips. There are so many cool things you can do with piping tips, and it's incredibly easy, because the tips do most of the work. :) Good luck!

I work a job where I have June and July off, so I will start playing this sumer and see what I can do. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom