"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Hi from Spain

Hi there,

I got in some weeks ago and I've been reading but I didn't introduce myself (my bad).

So, I'm a Spanish food lover and an amateur cook. For me, food is one of the top 5 life pleasures and a proper way to know other countries, another hobby.

I'm really into all kind of foods but I love Japanese, Italian and mainly Spanish food.

E-see u

Old 09-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to Discuss Cooking Paellator.

Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

It´s a pleasure to be welcomed by a "chef extraordinarie" :)
Old 09-28-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. I lived in Madrid for 3 years when I was growing up (long ago, in the 60s - Dad was in the service), and that was where I learned to try all different types of foods! And where I learned to love real Spanish gazpacho, which I just made again, with some of my last tomatoes.

We always sampled the paellas in different cities and restaurants. That's something that's been hard to duplicate.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. I lived in Madrid for 3 years when I was growing up (long ago, in the 60s - Dad was in the service), and that was where I learned to try all different types of foods! And where I learned to love real Spanish gazpacho, which I just made again, with some of my last tomatoes.

We always sampled the paellas in different cities and restaurants. That's something that's been hard to duplicate.
Thanks pepperhead. I hope you had a nice time in Madrid, I´m not sure how welcoming was Madrid in the 60s. Actually I'm from Alicante (Eastern Spain), but I live in Madrid.

About the gazpacho andaluz we make here, what can I say? it is healthy, cheap, easy-to-make and terribly tasty, and when made with good ingredients even better.

Regarding the paellas... it is so sad what it happens, really a shame because most of the recipes shown on the web are not what we usually make here, furthermore, restaurants focused on tourists in Spain usually offer the same fake paellas (which might be good but worse than real ones).

Besides, chefs such as Jamie or Gordon spread non-authentic paella recipes.
For me, these "real", "authentic" or "traditional" paellas you see when you google for them... are like a pineapple & barbecue Dominos pizza for the authentic pizza from Napoli with very few fresh ingredients.

Sorry about this :)

I might start a discussion about this topic...

Regards
Old 09-29-2019, 12:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

Welcome to DC
I would love for you to teach us
how to do it your way.

Josie
Old 09-29-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
Master Chef

Welcome. I've been to Spain a few times, and love the food. I was only in Madrid for a couple of days, and it was In 1978, not long after the Franco era. Things were a bit different. I also spent some time in Torremolinos, down the coast from Alicante.

We had a thread on the forum about the Spanish Tortilla, which some call a Spanish Omelet outside of Spain. It would be fun to know if you have a "family recipe" to share. I love those things. I also take it from your screen name that you may know a thing or two about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.

CD
Old 10-01-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the warm welcome :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Welcome. I've been to Spain a few times, and love the food. I was only in Madrid for a couple of days, and it was In 1978, not long after the Franco era. Things were a bit different. I also spent some time in Torremolinos, down the coast from Alicante.

We had a thread on the forum about the Spanish Tortilla, which some call a Spanish Omelet outside of Spain. It would be fun to know if you have a "family recipe" to share. I love those things. I also take it from your screen name that you may know a thing or two about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.

CD
My home town is 1h away from Torremolinos.

In Spain, Spanish omelet is called "Tortilla de patatas" (potato omelet) and it can also have onion (a sacrilege for purists, like chorizo for paella). Although it seems an easy recipe, Tortilla de patatas is not easy to master it.
I just asked my mum for a family recipe but she didn't have anything on paper, and I'm not the greatest fan of tortilla (unless it is on another level).

Regarding the paella thing... yes, it is my strong point :) I will open a thread soon and I will quote you. I'm creating a website to spread authentic recipes (in my signature) but I will share more on here.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Welcome to DC!

@JONOBRANDS
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:21 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Welcome to the forum Paellator! Looking forward to hearing about your kitchen. ...

Hi, here you have part of my kitchen. I haven't share any recipe yet but I'm talking about something I love and I honestly consider I do it well.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...la-103635.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
... about Paella. Love that, too, but it is hard to find done right over here in the US.
CD
Hi Caseydog, I hope my thread (link above) brings you back good memories ;)

Tags
paella, spain, spanish food, spanish omelet