"Hi there..." from Germany...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HectorSamuel

Assistant Cook
Hello folks...

just a little introduction of myself.

I'm Markus, actual 30 years old and I'm from Germany. I just entered your community to "spy out" real authentic american recipes. Me and my wife, we love to cook for friends, and are always trying to show that american cuisine is more than hamburgers and bbq.

We visited the states now for two times, and saving money for our next trip.

When you find me writing a incorrect english, please don't mind. I often have problems with english grammatic. (But feel free to correct me, I'm happy to learn... :)

Okay... that's enough from me now...

Greetings, Markus

Hi and welcome, Markus. So glad you are joining us. This is a great forum. We have the best recipes and the best helpers. Ask any question and someone will be able to help you.:)

Welcome aboard, Markus! Don't be concerned about your English grammar. Your English is quite good.

Which American recipes have you made?

Hi JoAnne, Hi Andy

thanks for your replies. :) In fact I will post a special question today. But before I'll try to find the answer by searching.

@Andy>

Ouh... we cooked quite much. I didn't remember everything. Most reciepes were from cookbooks and names are often not clearly.

But I can tell you the last recipe was a "New York Chineese Chicken". (At this place i enter a summary of the recipe later.)

One thing we didn't find out yet, is how to make a real good maccheroni and cheese. We tried three different reciepes, but none was real good. They always were quite dry.

And I'd love to tell you, my "must eat" when staying in US is the "Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich/Sub". Yes, I know. That's quite near hamburger & co... but i love it... :rolleyes:

Welcome Marcus. My brother in law moved to Germany with his wife many years ago. He loves it there. He sounds funny to us as he speaks Doiche much better than he speaks English after so many years.

We always enjoy a new voice and love to help with recipes, techniques, selection of the proper tools and appliances, new baby names, just about everything. I hope you get as much out of this site as the rest of us do. Glad to have you here.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Hi Marcus,

If you want to cook the cheese steak yourself here you go.

The Original Pat's King of Steaks® Philadelphia Cheese Steak recipe

For all the people who can not get to
South Philadelphia to get the Original.​
Here is the recipe for you home chefs.

Serves 4

24oz thin sliced rib eye or eye roll steak​

6 table spoons of Soya bean oil​

Cheese {we recommend Cheez Whiz®} American or Provolone works fine​

4 crusty Italian Rolls​

1 large Spanish onion​

Optional
sweet green and red peppers sautéed in oil​

Mushrooms sautéed in oil​

Assembly

Heat an iron skillet or a non stick pan over medium heat​

add3 table spoons of oil to the pan and sauté the onions to desired doneness​

remove the onions​

add the remaining oil and sauté the slices of meat quickly on both sides​

melt the cheez Whiz® in a double boiler or in the microwave​

place 6oz. of the meat into the rolls​

add onions, and pour the Cheez Whiz® over top​

garnish with hot or fried sweet peppers, mushrooms, ketchup​

Put on the theme song to the first Rocky movie and enjoy!​

Sorry this pasted kind of weird.

Do you have any good recipes for schwenkbraten?​

Last edited:
Hallo Markus!

Schön, ich bekomme Verstärkung! *freu*
okay.. I switch to english, also it's crap to talk in english to a fellow german :D
don't mind the grammar, I'm sure everyone understands you, that's what they do with me.. even if my school english sometimes must sound funny "why do you speak like Yoda?"

Ich wünsch dir viel Spass hier.. wo wohnst denn??

Hey Cara,

cara said:
okay.. I switch to english, also it's crap to talk in english to a fellow german :D...

even if it's weird to talk english to a german... that's what we have to do... :)

Do you know what's real funny? Im living just 1h away from Hannover. Only move about 80km on the "Autobahn" (Highway) Nr.2 to the east. Do you know my place now? :cool:

@T-roy

thanks for your recipe... I'm going to try it next week... can't wait much longer... :angel:

CU

Welcome to the site Hector. Along with German there are many other countries represented here and all kinds of cuisine is discussed. I am from Florida, born and bred, so much of my cooking is Southern US. My sister and her family have lived in Germany many years but are back home in the states now. I hope you find lots of information here and we welcome your ideas too.

Hi Marcus, welcome to the DC family! You have definitely joined a helpful and active website. Besides recipes on international cuisine, there are various topics for discussion. Have lots of fun going through them and hopefully, you can share some of your nice German Christmas cookies and bread recipes with the members.

cara said:
Hallo Markus!

Schön, ich bekomme Verstärkung! *freu*
okay.. I switch to english, also it's crap to talk in english to a fellow german :D
don't mind the grammar, I'm sure everyone understands you, that's what they do with me.. even if my school english sometimes must sound funny "why do you speak like Yoda?"

http://translate.google.com/translate_t

Oh well, apparently that doesnt work, but you can translate back and forth on this site...You said to markus..."already I get verstarkung, am pleased".

Last edited:
Hi Marcus! I have been searching for German recipes so we'll have to trade! I am most interested in what is a traditional Christmas meal. We would love to visit your country at Christmastime. Both my husband and I have ancestors from Germany.

Markus, must be somewhere around Helmstedt? [
6.gif

maybe one day we can make the first German DC- Meeting.. :mrgreen:

amber, the translation: great, I get some backing *enjoy*
and at the end: Where do you come from?
I really recommend http://dict.leo.org/ende?

Last edited:
Hi Markus,

Germany has a very rich culinary heritage and I have been lucky enough to visit there several times. Plus both of my mothers parents were from barvaria. Warm welcome to you.
Mark

Hi Markus...Well, I just joined this happy group, but MUST respond to your request for authentic American recipes! I'll ask first...have you tried cornbread and pinto beans? suziqt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom