Hi to all

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello Jason and Welcome to DC!

I'm not much of a canner but could you tell us a bit about which way and what foods you are thinking of starting with?

For example: Water bath canning, for fruits, jams, tomato ketchup, pickle type of things. This is where beginners usually start.

or Pressure Canning, for vegies and meats. This requires a pressure canner with a pressure gauge not just a "jiggler"

There are quite a few here whose advice I would trust. Welcome Again!

Hi dragnlaw

I have a canner and have been producing pickles and jams etc, but recently I’ve wanted to can soups and meat so I purchased a pressure canner from the USA.
I’ve just done my first batch of tomato soup with it which tasted nice before I canned it but not so afterwards.
Everything I have read says add 1\4 teaspoon of citric acid to each jar, so I did this then added the soup into the jars then canned.
Unfortunately the next day when trying a jar of the soup there was a strong taste of citric acid, so don’t know if I have put to much in or should have added while initially cooking.

I don't think you need the citric acid, when pressuring canning. Tomatoes can have varying amounts of acidity. For tomatoes, I have read that citric acid is usually added with water bath canning, for safety. But, don't take my word for it. Someone else, with more knowledge of pressure canning will probably be able to point you to some good information about that. I haven't done any pressure canning since the early 1990s and there is undoubtedly better science info about that now.

Taking into consideration of taxy's reply -

I also think that perhaps the citric acid is for tomato in a water bath canning.

Reread some of your search recipes - I just did a quick one and ones for pressure canning do not mention citric acid.

just remember - most of my knowledge is only from reading! :rolleyes: not experience :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom