Howdy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SummerKaye

Washing Up
CrazyCatLady sent me here because I take care of my nephew who lives with me. I'm 19 and in college and I love to cook, especially now since I have Little Bear. My kitchen is real tiny because I live in an apartment over the garage at my parents' place.
I've gotten him off sugary and junk food my sister had him on, and he'll be three in October and he's acting so much better. He isn't a brat anymore! He gets a little cranky when it's naptime but that's all.
So I need real healthy and nourishing recipes and CCL said this is the place. I met her on a political forum and she loves to cook too so here I am!
He loves rice cakes with sugar-free jelly or peanut butter or ham or bologna on them, Cheerios and Corn Chex, dried fruits, any kind of regular fruits (especially apples and bananas), mac and cheese, any veggies except peas. He loves yogurt and I do give him rice and tapioca pudding and jello now and then but that's the only sweets he gets. He likes meats, especially chicken and turkey, and I get smoked turkey legs sometimes which he loves and he likes salads and beans and cornbread.
He's been such a good boy lately because he gets a lot of exercise playing with my dog and I like to wear him out before bedtime so he goes right to sleep and so now I need more help with cooking good meals for us.
Thanks for having me here, and I've looked here so I already like it and thanks too CCL!

Any friend of CCL is a friend of ours, and welcome! Your nephew is blessed and a lucky Little Bear to have such a responsible Auntie looking after him. We'll all help you in any way we can.
Have fun!

Last edited:
Welcome to DC, SummerKaye! I second Kayelle's post. Look around, have fun, and jump right in! :flowers:

If he doesn't have a nut allergy, I love to take a rice cake and put peanut butter on it, then hit it in the microwave oven for about 30 seconds. The PB melts right down into the rice cake and it smells like roasting peanuts. :angel:

Welcome to DC. Wow, such a responsibility for a 19 year old? How old is your nephew? It seems like he is not too picky, which is good, I have 5 kids, and sometimes I feel like a restaurant, because nobody likes what the next one does. But there are age appropriate food, I feel. One thing I feel is necessary for everybody is a soup. Little ones as well as adults.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Welcome to DC. Wow, such a responsibility for a 19 year old? How old is your nephew? It seems like he is not too picky, which is good, I have 5 kids, and sometimes I feel like a restaurant, because nobody likes what the next one does. But there are age appropriate food, I feel. One thing I feel is necessary for everybody is a soup. Little ones as well as adults.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

As a kid, I loved coming in from the bitter winter cold, washing up and sitting down to a big hot bowl of beef stew with crusty artisan bread and butter. For years we had it with the broth thickened. Now I have been enjoying it as just a broth. I love dipping the bread in it.

I do like root veggies in my beef or even lamb stew. If I don't have potatoes, I will put in barley. :angel:

Welcome! Rice cakes? They are a specialty of mine! Here are a few photos of rice cakes that I enjoy making for breakfast or any time of day. I love all the different flavors that rice cakes come in, but I find the plain are still the best. I like adding my own flavors with toppings.

Peanut butter with bananas and coconut
Cottage cheese with nectarines (or you can use peaches)with a drizzle of honey
Nutella with pistachios

Cream chesse is wonderful and top it with strawberry preserves, or use vegetable cream cheese and shred carrots on top, they so versatile.

Attachments

• ricecak2.JPG
    ricecak2.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 38
  • ricecake4.JPG
    ricecake4.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 38
  • ricecake3.JPG
    ricecake3.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Welcome, Summer!

Wow, those rice cakes look good. Maybe I need to give them a second chance!

Back
Top Bottom