"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > New Member Introductions!
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-26-2020, 10:59 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Howdy from Texas!

Whats up guys!!

Denver here in East Texas. Found this forum looking for grilling tips and tricks.

yall seem cool!

I like brewing beer, putting a steak on the grill - although I've been on a reverse sear kick lately - and having a cigar when I'm cooking.

Cheers!

denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:08 PM   #2
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,363
Welcome to the forum!
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:11 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 25,567
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Welcome to Discuss Cooking.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:39 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 4,039
Welcome to DC. We are cool, you be cool too.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 47,800
Welcome to DC.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Head Chef
 
Josie1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sunny Central Florida
Posts: 2,374
Welcome to Discuss cooking
Denver

Josie
__________________
Practice Random Acts of Kindness ( RAK ) Makes you feel great too
Josie1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Welcome to the forum!
Thanks pepper! Whats your favorite pepper?
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:09 PM   #8
Senior Cook
 
RCJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Huntington
Posts: 260
Welcome to DC.

I used to spend some summers with Dad's side of the family out back of Texarkana TX. Check your private messages
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:45 AM   #9
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 115
Hey!
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:20 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
DaveSoMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,341
Welcome to DC!!
__________________
Quoth the chicken, "Fry some more."
AB - Good Eats: Fry Hard II
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:36 AM   #11
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJoe View Post
Welcome to DC.

I used to spend some summers with Dad's side of the family out back of Texarkana TX. Check your private messages
perused your rib info. will be loosely following it when I do a couple racks of baby backs for neighborhood party on 4th.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #12
Senior Cook
 
RCJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Huntington
Posts: 260
Good look with your cookout ! An if ya know anyone else who's fixin to get into
grilling or smoking, share that site with em.
RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,661
Welcome from Big-D! I do some grilling and smoking... and enjoy an occasional cigar, although AFTER dinner.

CD
__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:38 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJoe View Post
Good look with your cookout ! An if ya know anyone else who's fixin to get into
grilling or smoking, share that site with em.
doing first 3 hours on gas grill. have small smoker box with mesquite inside.

ive read everything from 10 minutes to an hour. baby backs, first 3 hours just started. how long for smoke?
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:50 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
RCJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Huntington
Posts: 260
If your ribs have reached the safe temp (measured at the center with a meat thermometer) you are only smoking to apply flavor. The wood you are smoking with has a strong flavor......so I'd start with 45 minutes and taste
a piece of it. If it seems like enough, you're good to go. If not, go in 20 minute increments for more smoked flavor. (it is wise to take notes when trying new things so you can get better results the next time)

Meat thermometers could be a simple one: (perhaps $5)



or a more expensive instant read digital (perhaps $10 to 15)

RCJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:35 AM   #16
Assistant Cook
 
EddieBrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Florida City
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Whats up guys!!

Denver here in East Texas. Found this forum looking for grilling tips and tricks.

yall seem cool!

I like brewing beer, putting a steak on the grill - although I've been on a reverse sear kick lately - and having a cigar when I'm cooking.

Cheers!
Hey there. Texas is a great place! My aunt lives with her husband in Dallas. Every time I visit their home we have a beer with juicy steaks
__________________
My Blog
https://pizzaovenradar.com/
EddieBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:53 AM   #17
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
Welcome from Big-D! I do some grilling and smoking... and enjoy an occasional cigar, although AFTER dinner.

CD
Yea I made it sound like I having a smoke while cutting the vegetables!! Got any favorite restaurants in Dallas? Owe the lady a night out....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCJoe View Post
If your ribs have reached the safe temp (measured at the center with a meat thermometer) you are only smoking to apply flavor. The wood you are smoking with has a strong flavor......so I'd start with 45 minutes and taste
a piece of it. If it seems like enough, you're good to go. If not, go in 20 minute increments for more smoked flavor. (it is wise to take notes when trying new things so you can get better results the next time)

Meat thermometers could be a simple one: (perhaps $5)



or a more expensive instant read digital (perhaps $10 to 15)

My rib game is getting better! you slice your ribs after they cool? Can't keep them from falling apart!

Side note, I'm doing the first 60 minutes of "smoke" - little smoker box doesn't put out much smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieBrock View Post
Hey there. Texas is a great place! My aunt lives with her husband in Dallas. Every time I visit their home we have a beer with juicy steaks
Hi Eddie! Gotta love a juicy Texas steak! I love doing reverse searing a nice thick cut piece of awesomeness. There's a shop close to me that's just started keeping a few aged cuts and those are AMAZING!!
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
pepperhead212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Woodbury, NJ
Posts: 2,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
Thanks pepper! Whats your favorite pepper?
Hi again! I answered this a little late - didn't notice it before.

Impossible to have a favorite pepper, just like a favorite herb, vegetable, or many other foods. I have almost 20 varieties in my garden this season, and easily over 30 dried varieties in my house now! The ones I use more than any others are the Thai/Indian type - those that I use dried, as well as fresh red, and green, in countless types of dishes. I just crushed some more of those this morning, to refill my "crushed red pepper flakes" jar - more flavor than any store-bought types!

So do you have a favorite, and do you grow peppers, being in Texas? Some things don't like that heat, but most hot peppers love heat! When people say they can't grow peppers where they live, because of the heat, I know they aren't talking about hot peppers.
__________________
Dave
pepperhead212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:11 AM   #19
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: USA
Posts: 115
Yeehaw!
__________________
Honored Guest~
AntHill5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:13 PM   #20
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Hi again! I answered this a little late - didn't notice it before.

Impossible to have a favorite pepper, just like a favorite herb, vegetable, or many other foods. I have almost 20 varieties in my garden this season, and easily over 30 dried varieties in my house now! The ones I use more than any others are the Thai/Indian type - those that I use dried, as well as fresh red, and green, in countless types of dishes. I just crushed some more of those this morning, to refill my "crushed red pepper flakes" jar - more flavor than any store-bought types!

So do you have a favorite, and do you grow peppers, being in Texas? Some things don't like that heat, but most hot peppers love heat! When people say they can't grow peppers where they live, because of the heat, I know they aren't talking about hot peppers.
I have jalapeno and cayenne pepper plants on my patio.

I LOVE pepper jams and jellies. I would grow/harvest/make/can some of it, but there is an AMAZING local store that has a wall stocked with every combination imaginable. It's just too easy to hand them my money and have the finished product in my hand, especially considering the time/PITA factors for me to go from Day 0 cultivating peppers to a jar of delish jam. maybe one day I'll grow a plethora of peppers and can my own.

I'm enjoying blistered jalapeno and fig preserves ATM.
denverd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
texas

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.