Howdy from Texas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denverd1

Assistant Cook
Whats up guys!!

Denver here in East Texas. Found this forum looking for grilling tips and tricks.

yall seem cool!

I like brewing beer, putting a steak on the grill - although I've been on a reverse sear kick lately - and having a cigar when I'm cooking.

Cheers!

Welcome to DC.

I used to spend some summers with Dad's side of the family out back of Texarkana TX. Check your private messages

Thanks all!

Welcome to DC.

I used to spend some summers with Dad's side of the family out back of Texarkana TX. Check your private messages

perused your rib info. will be loosely following it when I do a couple racks of baby backs for neighborhood party on 4th.

Good look with your cookout ! An if ya know anyone else who's fixin to get into
grilling or smoking, share that site with em.

Welcome from Big-D! I do some grilling and smoking... and enjoy an occasional cigar, although AFTER dinner.

CD

Good look with your cookout ! An if ya know anyone else who's fixin to get into
grilling or smoking, share that site with em.

doing first 3 hours on gas grill. have small smoker box with mesquite inside.

ive read everything from 10 minutes to an hour. baby backs, first 3 hours just started. how long for smoke?

If your ribs have reached the safe temp (measured at the center with a meat thermometer) you are only smoking to apply flavor. The wood you are smoking with has a strong flavor......so I'd start with 45 minutes and taste
a piece of it. If it seems like enough, you're good to go. If not, go in 20 minute increments for more smoked flavor. (it is wise to take notes when trying new things so you can get better results the next time)

Meat thermometers could be a simple one: (perhaps $5)

17710-food-thermometer-pv.jpg

or a more expensive instant read digital (perhaps $10 to 15)

Thermapen-MK4-Meat-Thermometer.jpg

Last edited:
Whats up guys!!

Denver here in East Texas. Found this forum looking for grilling tips and tricks.

yall seem cool!

I like brewing beer, putting a steak on the grill - although I've been on a reverse sear kick lately - and having a cigar when I'm cooking.

Cheers!

Hey there. Texas is a great place! My aunt lives with her husband in Dallas. Every time I visit their home we have a beer with juicy steaks :cool:

Welcome from Big-D! I do some grilling and smoking... and enjoy an occasional cigar, although AFTER dinner.

CD
Yea I made it sound like I having a smoke while cutting the vegetables!! Got any favorite restaurants in Dallas? Owe the lady a night out....

If your ribs have reached the safe temp (measured at the center with a meat thermometer) you are only smoking to apply flavor. The wood you are smoking with has a strong flavor......so I'd start with 45 minutes and taste
a piece of it. If it seems like enough, you're good to go. If not, go in 20 minute increments for more smoked flavor. (it is wise to take notes when trying new things so you can get better results the next time)

Meat thermometers could be a simple one: (perhaps $5)

17710-food-thermometer-pv.jpg

or a more expensive instant read digital (perhaps $10 to 15)

Thermapen-MK4-Meat-Thermometer.jpg
My rib game is getting better! you slice your ribs after they cool? Can't keep them from falling apart!

Side note, I'm doing the first 60 minutes of "smoke" - little smoker box doesn't put out much smoke...

Hey there. Texas is a great place! My aunt lives with her husband in Dallas. Every time I visit their home we have a beer with juicy steaks :cool:

Hi Eddie! Gotta love a juicy Texas steak! I love doing reverse searing a nice thick cut piece of awesomeness. There's a shop close to me that's just started keeping a few aged cuts and those are AMAZING!!

Thanks pepper! Whats your favorite pepper?
Hi again! I answered this a little late - didn't notice it before.

Impossible to have a favorite pepper, just like a favorite herb, vegetable, or many other foods. I have almost 20 varieties in my garden this season, and easily over 30 dried varieties in my house now! The ones I use more than any others are the Thai/Indian type - those that I use dried, as well as fresh red, and green, in countless types of dishes. I just crushed some more of those this morning, to refill my "crushed red pepper flakes" jar - more flavor than any store-bought types!

So do you have a favorite, and do you grow peppers, being in Texas? Some things don't like that heat, but most hot peppers love heat! When people say they can't grow peppers where they live, because of the heat, I know they aren't talking about hot peppers.

Hi again! I answered this a little late - didn't notice it before.

Impossible to have a favorite pepper, just like a favorite herb, vegetable, or many other foods. I have almost 20 varieties in my garden this season, and easily over 30 dried varieties in my house now! The ones I use more than any others are the Thai/Indian type - those that I use dried, as well as fresh red, and green, in countless types of dishes. I just crushed some more of those this morning, to refill my "crushed red pepper flakes" jar - more flavor than any store-bought types!

So do you have a favorite, and do you grow peppers, being in Texas? Some things don't like that heat, but most hot peppers love heat! When people say they can't grow peppers where they live, because of the heat, I know they aren't talking about hot peppers.

I have jalapeno and cayenne pepper plants on my patio.

I LOVE pepper jams and jellies. I would grow/harvest/make/can some of it, but there is an AMAZING local store that has a wall stocked with every combination imaginable. It's just too easy to hand them my money and have the finished product in my hand, especially considering the time/PITA factors for me to go from Day 0 cultivating peppers to a jar of delish jam. maybe one day I'll grow a plethora of peppers and can my own.

I'm enjoying blistered jalapeno and fig preserves ATM.

Back
Top Bottom