Howdy from Washington State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beachcomber

Senior Cook
Hi everyone my name J.D. my DW and I have recently retired and moved to the coast of Wa. St. we live about 1/2 mile from the Pacific Ocean. We enjoy spending time at the beach. it is quiet a change from where we lived in Crowley, TX.
I am a strugling cook at times, some of the bacic foods I have no problem with, but I like to try new foods and get a lot of ideas from different forums. I am just now getting use to all the fresh products available here, like getting fresh Albacore Tuna directly from the boat.

Welcome

Hi everyone my name J.D. my DW and I have recently retired and moved to the coast of Wa. St. we live about 1/2 mile from the Pacific Ocean. We enjoy spending time at the beach. it is quiet a change from where we lived in Crowley, TX.
I am a strugling cook at times, some of the bacic foods I have no problem with, but I like to try new foods and get a lot of ideas from different forums. I am just now getting use to all the fresh products available here, like getting fresh Albacore Tuna directly from the boat.

Wow, what a treat! You will likeit here. I started practicing cooking not long after I retired, well slightly before I guess. Sure, there are struggling times with cooking - I make sure there are by trying new things fom new places. Be sure to share about that tuna.:)

Hey Beachcomber....Welcome to DC... Kick your shoes off and sit a spell! It can get kinda slow on week-ends here, but things will pick up. Im envious of you being able to get fresh Tuna and other goodies too I bet. Again Welcome to DC.

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Welcome! That fresh tuna sounds great; I would love to experiment with some of that. Washington State is a beautiful area. You must love it!

Where abouts you at? I am in a Seattle burb.

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum too. I live in Oregon and lived for a number of years in Washington. Retired Coast Guardsman - and to the person from Seattle - I was on three icebreakers out of Seattle! Was in the shipyards there during the 1962 worlds fair too.

We get albacore over in Newport (Oregon) and the way I like to cook it is to get a loin, ask for a thick one. What you want are peices flat enough to lay on the grill like a steak so you'll cut the two tapered ends off and then slice lengthwise through the rest of the loin so that you come out with a couple of slabs about 3/4-1 inch thick, then crosscut them into managable or serving sized peices.

I've tried slicing rounds off the loins and holding them together with toothpicks but it never seemed to work as well. Since then I've discovered bamboo skewers at the local asian market and that might help but...:glare:

Put some lemon juice, olive oil and garlic powder in a ziploc bag or stainless bowl and marinate the fish (including the tapered ends) for a few hours.

Then I grill it close to the flames on a preheated (hot) gas bbq with the lid on, turn them once carefully after about 6 minutes then cook about the same amount on the other side. I cook Chinook this way too although I don't bother to marinate it. Leftovers are really good in tuna or salmon salad.

I use one of the 20.00 Bimart bbqs burn em hard and get a new one every few years. I have a gas adapter so I don't need to use the little $1.89 bottles but hook it to my 5gal propane tank.

This is some seriously good fish. I recommend you buy a little digital electronic meat thermometer while you learn to cook. Overcooked tuna is not nearly as good.

I know exactly where Grayland is, I used to go to Westport and work on the boats at Gray's Harbor Station.

Welcome to the beautiful Northwest.

Last edited:
Hello from another Seattle resident. LOVE it here and in Oregon too.

Have Fun.
ENJOY!!

Thanks plainolebill for the info on cooking tuna, I have gotten a lot of help on DC. Also thanks for the welcome from redkitty, pdswife, gmax and ol-blue. I was stationed in Bermerton in 1962 just after the Worlds Fair closed. I fell in love with this area when I was here and decided to retire here which I did.

Indeed! We live in a spectacular, albeit sort of grey place.

Mrs qmax and I are actually thinking of getting just over the Cascades (Wenatchee?) when we retire (about 10 years), and taking in the 300 days of sun.

Paul and I talk about the same thing all the time!
We even bought a small piece of property over there once.
We still have it but, won't be building there....LONG STORY.

:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom