Husband of patient wife checking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbobson

Cook
My wife needed/wanted cookware that could go from stovetop to oven, funny she mentioned that around Christmas last year. After research I purchased a small variety of All-Clad and found a couple cast-iron skillets at second hand shops. She was very pleased, and nearly a year later she will stop what she is doing in the kitchen and says 'You know, I really like these pans. Thank you.' Thanks for the advice guys.

Around the new year, my wife says I should try doing some of the cooking since she thinks I would enjoy it. You know, cooking has surprised me as a creative outlet; I had put my hobbies aside for financial reasons but since we need to eat this works out well. Bless her heart, only a couple times in the past year has she taken a bite and handed it back.

Oh, the first thing I made was Luca's lasagna; instant hit with the with my bride and she has had me make if for others. (When I said I was making lasagna and she didn't see a mess of cheeses she really doubted what was coming, but now it is her favorite.)

And with my involvement in the kitchen my wife will admit that she has become more competent and creative. This year is the first, and she admits this, that she has consistently cooked steak she really really likes - perfectly cooked and monster good taste. And I told her how, ha.
BBobson

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. And congratulations of making your bride so happy. What a nice husband you are. :angel:

Welcome to DC! Sounds like you've already been perusing some of our great members' ideas and recipes here, glad you're joining in!

That is so sweet! When we were first married and I wanted kitchen utensils, people told my hubby, "Don't do it!" He realized that I loved to cook and anything that would make it easier for me was a win/win situation. Keep up the good work!

What a nice first post. Welcome, bbobson! Yes, cooking is a great creative outlet, and every household needs at least one cast iron skillet. Mine is 40 years old and still going strong. Here's to many more wonderful meals with your bride! :)

I have been lurking a long time, finally decided to join. I remember the first time I visited and read someones tag-line, Princess Fiona I think, that said 'I still fit into the same earrings I wore in high school'. I had to clean my monitor when I first read that.
I looked back at doing various projects with sub-standard tools and materials over the years, resulting in endless frustration. I realized my bride had been doing that in the kitchen as long as she has been cooking, just wasn't right. Part of what has helped our efforts in the kitchen has been quality 'tools', everything behaves in a consistent and predictable way which is quite wonderful.

I have been lurking a long time, finally decided to join. I remember the first time I visited and read someones tag-line, Princess Fiona I think, that said 'I still fit into the same earrings I wore in high school'. I had to clean my monitor when I first read that.
I looked back at doing various projects with sub-standard tools and materials over the years, resulting in endless frustration. I realized my bride had been doing that in the kitchen as long as she has been cooking, just wasn't right. Part of what has helped our efforts in the kitchen has been quality 'tools', everything behaves in a consistent and predictable way which is quite wonderful.

You are correct regarding the "right tool for the job". I am a believer in quality utensils.

Our situation is kind reversed here in our house. My wife was not much of a cook when I met her. I have taught her many things and today, 20 years later, she has turned out to be a very good cook.
The hard part was getting her to understand I was helping, not trying to be bossy.

My first quality purchases were knives. I don't buy sets. I buy individual knives. I find a knife I love, I buy it. Now I have a great set that I put together.

I did buy a set of Calphalon anodized AL cookware.
I also bought individual non-stick high quality pans as needed and a couple bare AL saute/omelet pans from a commercial cookware store.

I do not like gadgets unless they are proven to actually work.
A good example is vegetable peeler.
There are all these fancy peelers in these fancy cooking stores. The one I prefer over all of them is the $1.00 one I can get at the grocery store. A cheap metal peeler.

My father used to have an expression. "If you cannot go first class, why go at all".

I have followed that sentiment over the years and it has proven to work well for me.

Loved you're story. And Its great to see more guys jumping into the fire.

Last edited:
I would hardly call a cheap metal peeler that cost $1.00 going first class. I don't have to have the latest and greatest, but I do want equipment in my kitchen that works better than what my mother had. My KA mixer certainly beats a wooden spoon when it comes to going first class. :angel:

I also have a KA mixer and many things my mother did not have.
I could start a list if you like?
I found the inexpensive old timey metal type peeler to work the best for me.

When I say go first class, I don't mean I have to have the most expensive. I want to have the best.
So if you think my cheap peeler is second class, thats just fine with me. :rolleyes:

Quality tools and the right tools for the job make any job easier. That said, I don't want or need the very best. I need tools that perform well. Not $1000 Japanese knives, but ones that stay sharp and feel good in my hand. For me, multi-ply stainless pans are the best so that's what I buy. Not necessarily All-Clad, but multi-ply. For non-stick, which I don't use often, I buy cheap pans made of thick AL with a non-stick coating and toss them when they fail to perform. Bamboo utensils for the stove 5 for $6.00. Cutting boards - easy care plastic.

Quality tools and the right tools for the job make any job easier. That said, I don't want or need the very best. I need tools that perform well. Not $1000 Japanese knives, but ones that stay sharp and feel good in my hand. For me, multi-ply stainless pans are the best so that's what I buy. Not necessarily All-Clad, but multi-ply. For non-stick, which I don't use often, I buy cheap pans made of thick AL with a non-stick coating and toss them when they fail to perform. Bamboo utensils for the stove 5 for $6.00. Cutting boards - easy care plastic.

I gave my Japanese $150.00 knife away to my son. It was a gift and she meant well, but too sharp and long for me. I have bought my knives, pans and other items as I needed them. As my income over the years increased, I have replaced some very early purchases. My pans were bought one at a time for a specific need. Not always the top of the line. A Revere Ware double boiler pan was given as a Christmas gift more than 25 years ago. I think I have used the top maybe twice. I prefer the bowl over hot water. An item I would never have bought myself. I don't have two pans that match. I buy a package of 3 wooden spoons at the $ store. They get tossed about twice a year to be replaced. Yard sales are my favorite to find kitchen items. I want functionality and ease of cleaning. I don't want to spend my last days on earth cleaning. And over the years, useless item have been tossed real quick. Strainers with handles. In fact, handles on just about all my kitchen items that I use the most. I hate bowls that have no handles. Very difficult to scrape out the contents while you are hugging the bowl to you. :angel:

I gave my Japanese $150.00 knife away to my son. It was a gift and she meant well, but too sharp and long for me. :angel:
Is there a tradition (well, a superstition, really) where you are that you must never give a knife as a gift? Over here, if you receive a knife as a gift (even if you requested it) you must give the giver a penny otherwise you will cut the friendship.

Is there a tradition (well, a superstition, really) where you are that you must never give a knife as a gift? Over here, if you receive a knife as a gift (even if you requested it) you must give the giver a penny otherwise you will cut the friendship.

I have heard that here also. It goes for anything sharp or pointed. Scissors! :angel:

When I got married the first time :/ 40 years ago we received a Chicago Cutlery knife set that had a penny included. So yes, this is apparently tradition on both sides of the pond, but sadly a lot of traditions have gone by the wayside. I think it's a nice sentiment though. Back on topic........ermm.....what was the topic again? Lol!

Hello!

I am trying to put together cookware and these other things for my basement kitchen.

Everyone here will help you very much for anything! You must just ask.

Welcome to this website!

With love,
~Cat

Hello!

I am trying to put together cookware and these other things for my basement kitchen.

Everyone here will help you very much for anything! You must just ask.

Welcome to this website!

With love,
~Cat

Hello Cat! Glad to see you are still with us. How did the test go? :angel:

The test went very nicely! I was away for my friend's children were hit by a car and I have been to the hospital every day.

I posted of this but no one answered. It is a terrible accident. One child is not expected to survive this.

I made a 94 on my test. I do not like that. I should have done this much better.

With love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom