I am new here. I want to cook more. Is this a good place to be?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timm99

Assistant Cook
Hello. I am new to this forum. But not to forum-ing. I do not cook as much as I buy those magazines with all the recipes with the pictures. I love those magazines.

I want to cook more, but don't because I do not have anyone to cook for. But I want to start some type of process where I am moving toward making a nice meal every Saturday. So I thought I would join a place like this and maybe get off my rear and get something going. I know how to cook. I helped my mom growing up. I worked in a restaurant years ago but that was mainly kitchen prep. And I have watched a lot of the Food Network. I just need to get to it.

Is this the best place like this for cooking?

Tim.

Without a doubt!

This is a very friendly place with loads of people who want to help.

I started out cooking for one when I got divorced and went on from there. It's not hard to do depending on what you like to eat.

I think the best way to go is to just pick a recipe you like the look of from one of those magazines or the Food network and make it. Some are easily reduced in size to one or two portions. Others are larger portions but with leftovers that freeze easily. Soups, stews, pot roasts, chili pasta sauces fall into that category.

Excellent. Thank you for your reply. I think the thing that really interests me are the, I don't know how to say it, the sauces that the cooks make to top a meat or veg. For example, Bobby Flay will grill a fillet of fish, but then make some type of topping to put on it that includes maybe a sweet, a sour, some salt, maybe some spice. Know what I mean?

On one of his shows Bobby Flay's wife said that Bobby told her when they were first dating that people should cook their food less and learn more about sauces.

I have two electric kitchen grills. One for meat and one for vegs. But that is all I do. Mabe some salt and pepper and garlic. That has become boring.

And I think I am on information overload. I need to pick one dish from my mags and cook it.

Tim.

A lot of Bobby Flay's and others' sauces recipe are online and easy to find. Learning sauces takes a long time. You can have a lot of fun experimenting.

Timm, there are lots of single people here who cook for themselves, and of course, for company, when they invite friends and family over to enjoy the fruits of their labors. I was single for 25 years before I married my DH four years ago, and usually cooked a good meal for myself every night, because I deserved it. I'd take the leftovers for lunch the next day. Welcome to DC - you have come to a good place.

I work with a guy who eats wonderful leftovers for lunch every day from his wife's cooking. She plans on his lunch when she makes supper. I am very impressed.

And I am hoping that when I get in the swing of things that I will be able to have friends over for dinner.

Tim.

this is a good place to be and a good source of answers to food questions. i live alone and i cut recipes down all the time. then if i feel a big pot of spag. coming on, i make it, have couple nights and my son is very willing to take what is left for his family.

once you get a bit more confident cooking can been a hobby and a stress reducer.

Hi Tim,

Sweet and sour sauce is probably one of the easiest to start experimenting with. It is versatile and can be used to pour over fish, diced chicken or pork.If you're not up to making the sauce from scratch with fresh tomatoes and corn starch, then just use bottled tomato and chili sauce. Here is my own recipe I use (proportions are adjusted to be sufficient for 2 servings of fish/meat):

What You Need:
2 Tbs oil (it is best to use the same oil that was used to fry the fish or meat)
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 medium red onion, quartered
1 small red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 small green bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 medium tomato, quartered
1 red chili, sliced with seeds removed
1/4 Cup canned pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces (retain 2 Tbs of the syrup)
1/2 Cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
2 Tbs chili sauce (if not available, use 2 sliced chilies instead of 1)
1 Tbs plum sauce
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste (sugar will counter the sourness)

How To Make It:
Heat oil in a wok
Add garlic, chili, onions, tomatoes and bell peppers and stir fry on low fire till peppers are cooked
Add tomato sauce, chili and plum sauce and mix in with the vegetables and simmer
Add pineapples and the syrup
Add a little water if sauce is too thick
Add salt and sugar to taste
(If sauce becomes too diluted, use cornstarch mixed with water and add slowly to the sauce while still simmering. Stir in the cornstarch mixture as needed to thicken the sauce to right consistency).

Ladle the hot sauce over your fish or meat and serve immediately.

Hello. I am new to this forum. But not to forum-ing. I do not cook as much as I buy those magazines with all the recipes with the pictures. I love those magazines.

I want to cook more, but don't because I do not have anyone to cook for. But I want to start some type of process where I am moving toward making a nice meal every Saturday. So I thought I would join a place like this and maybe get off my rear and get something going. I know how to cook. I helped my mom growing up. I worked in a restaurant years ago but that was mainly kitchen prep. And I have watched a lot of the Food Network. I just need to get to it.

Is this the best place like this for cooking?

Tim.
Welcome Tim
I think that's a great idea, (making a nice meal every Saturday), we do the same! That way you have all week to get some ideas together. You'll enjoy it here.

Thanks so much everyone. I am a list maker. I went through my magazines and started a list today for this Saturday's meal. I think taking that time to think about it and gather ingredients will help me prepare for making it happen.

Welcome Tim - when I was a single gal, I also made myself a really nice meal every Sat night. Eventually, I cooked 2-3 times per week and I always made myself a special meal on Sat night (with dessert!). Learning to cook for one just means you have to scale the recipe back if you can to adjust the portion size. This is a great place with lots of good people, recipes and advice.

So, what are you going to make on Sat night? :chef:

Hi, Tim. Welcome to DC. I was recently widowed and am now cooking for one. It's a different world for me, but it can be done...I think. Still learning.

I'm a list-maker, too. I plan my menus in advance and create a grocery list from the recipe ingredients. I understand your mindset.

Stick around here. There's a wealth of information and help available.

the more you cook at home, the more exciting it gets, an it gives you something to think about all day, like what you are going to cook for supper. You will enjoy it

I was playing golf with a guy a few years ago who was talking about what he was going to cook that night. When I asked why he cooked instead of went out to eat, he said that when he cooked, he made food just the way he liked it. I remember thinking that he also was enjoying talking about what he was going to cook.

the more you cook at home, the more exciting it gets, an it gives you something to think about all day, like what you are going to cook for supper. You will enjoy it

I agree with this. After a stressful day at work, cooking is a nice way for me to relax. May sound weird, but I enjoy cooking and doing little projects in the kitchen helps me unwind and forget about the BS and stress of the office.

Your dinner on Sat night sounds great - :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom