Intro from a cooking newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DumbSheila

Assistant Cook
Hi all, just wanted to say hello.

My name is Mehgan and I am new to cooking. I've always hated cooking, actually, and b/c I lived on my own for a few years, I got used to cooking for myself and having quick, put-together meals that aren't very good for me (think PastaRonis and Ramen). Then I married an extremely picky eater. Somehow I took up cooking when we got married, and needless to say, it's been difficult (since I don't believe in catering to my husband's picky pallet. Instead, I try to compromise and have him try new things while still eating the things I like--there's little I don't eat!).

Anyway, I bought a cookbook of "almost homemade" meals and I find that's my favorite type of cooking. It gives us a variety of things to eat, broadens my creativity levels (who knew you could whip peanut butter into vanilla icing for peanut butter icing???), and makes food a little more fun for me and my picky husband.

So I'm here for some craetive ideas that won't have me going to the store daily for supplies I never thought I'd need (what the heck is cream of tarter???) and add a little variety to our lives.

And also, I think cilantro is the greatest thing in the entire world, but I've never cooked with it.

Looking forward to reading threads adn posting! :)

DumbSheila said:
Hi all, just wanted to say hello.

My name is Mehgan and I am new to cooking. I've always hated cooking, actually, and b/c I lived on my own for a few years, I got used to cooking for myself and having quick, put-together meals that aren't very good for me (think PastaRonis and Ramen). Then I married an extremely picky eater. Somehow I took up cooking when we got married, and needless to say, it's been difficult (since I don't believe in catering to my husband's picky pallet. Instead, I try to compromise and have him try new things while still eating the things I like--there's little I don't eat!).

Anyway, I bought a cookbook of "almost homemade" meals and I find that's my favorite type of cooking. It gives us a variety of things to eat, broadens my creativity levels (who knew you could whip peanut butter into vanilla icing for peanut butter icing???), and makes food a little more fun for me and my picky husband.

So I'm here for some craetive ideas that won't have me going to the store daily for supplies I never thought I'd need (what the heck is cream of tarter???) and add a little variety to our lives.

And also, I think cilantro is the greatest thing in the entire world, but I've never cooked with it.

Looking forward to reading threads adn posting! :)

Hi, Mehgan, welcome to DC! I don't find you "dumb", wonder if you would like to change your call name? BTW, I love cilantro!

Hi daw, I'm not dumb, but my dog is, and her name is Sheila. She is the sweetest thing but she's exactly like "simple dog" from the "hyperbole and a half" blog. So that's where my name comes from :)

Also, I have gone in my options and turned off the email notifications and it's not working. Can you help with that?

DumbSheila said:
Hi daw, I'm not dumb, but my dog is, and her name is Sheila. She is the sweetest thing but she's exactly like "simple dog" from the "hyperbole and a half" blog. So that's where my name comes from :)

Also, I have gone in my options and turned off the email notifications and it's not working. Can you help with that?

It may take awhile.

Thanks for the 'splaining. One of my cockers was the most beautiful, sweetest dog ever, but was also the world's stupidest...

I'm still wondering if there's something else we could call ya, "Sheila" is what Australians call women, and as we all know, women are the smarter sex!

Last edited:
Greeting. It's a good place to ask for help crafting something he'll eat by modifying a recipe.

Also, which email notifications did you want to kill. And did you go all the way to the bottom of the page to click Save Changes. Nothing changes without that.

And who doesn't love Simple Dog.

Attachments

• simpledog.png
    simpledog.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 222
Hi, yes, I clicked save changes. I am a member of another vbulletin site (am frequently there and have been since 2007) so I knew instantly the esttings I wanted, but for some reason I'm still getting emails! Grr...hopefully it'll work itself out!

My dog actually looks so much like Simple Dog (I'll put her as my avatar). And she's definitely the goofiest, dumbest thing around. But she's sweet. I think she and Simple Dog are long-lost cousins.

We chose her name b/c we wanted an "old church lady's name". don't ask. I'm really not sure why we wanted that, but we are both fans of human names for dogs. :)

Hi Mehgan. You'll have to go to your notifications page and switch all your existing "email" notifications to "none." See this page. You'll still get notifications on the old topics until you make this change. Ask me how I know. (About 200+ emails before I fixed it.)

What is your spouse "picky" about?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom