I've Moved!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lindatooo

Head Chef
It's been a long time since I've visited but cross country moves will do that to you! I've moved from Portland Oregon to Chicago! Prior to this move I'd never lived more than 10 miles from the Portland City limits - in fact less than 5 miles from my last address, talk about home grown! This has been such a tremendous change! We are living in the city (soooo much bigger than Portland!) and in a condo from 2700 sq ft to about 1400 is a huge change!

This kitchen gadgett queen is having to change her ways big time! I didn't see the unit in person before my husband leased it and it looked so much bigger in the photos!:huh: I thought I was absolutely brutal when I pared down my old kitchen....well not nearly brutal enough! Needless to say I need to learn how to put a good meal on the table with fewer gadgetts! Any help will be gratefully accepted!

Of course Gidgett (the darling in my avatar) and Domino (the agorophobic Main Coon Cat) came along - both of them sedated and riding in the cabin with my husband and me. The trip went very well thanks to the drugs! And they are both adjusting well to our new life. Gidgett did contract a case of cabin fever while I was unpacking - I didn't leave this condo except to get my mail and take the garbage out for more than 10 days. Now when she sees me pick her leash up she goes more than a little bit nuts! So we've been visiting the park in front of the building regularly. For any of you who are contemplating such an adjustment with a dog I have great advice with respect to toilet needs. She's been completely successful with a wonderful little system that won't require me to exit the building in the dreadful winter we've been told to anticipate.

Granted - the heat has been difficult for us to tolerate, especially the humidity but we are starting to acclimate. DH tolerates such things less easily than I do - and I'm pretty darned Portland spoiled!

I intend to embrace this delightful city and the people in it. To it's credit everyone I've met thus far has been extremely helpful and friendly. There are many many more sirens than we are used to but this city seems much more dog friendly than Portland. I am very close to the museums and the "Magnificent Mile" and will be using my feet or public transportation since I left my car in Portland. So far it's been a great deal of fun - except for the boxes...hundreds of boxes...and I've not started on the spare room!

So, my friends, my kitchen has gone from pretty darned huge to miniscule. Any and all advice in that respect will be gratefully accepted and any suggestions about good food as well!

It's so very good to return to my DC family!

Welcome back. You'll love Chicago, it's great city. Lot of great restaurants and you're right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Also, Milwaukee is not that far if you want to visit another city.

Welcome back. You'll love Chicago, it's great city. Lot of great restaurants and you're right on the shores of Lake Michigan. Also, Milwaukee is not that far if you want to visit another city.
I can just imagine only how hard it is to give up your gadgets. I don't use many and I'm lucky I have a large pantry. this palce you are leasing is for ever or til you find something bigger? If there is a chance of a move I'd take a part of the spare room to store things I daon't want o do with out. I''m glad you back with us. Hang on I'm sure we can help in some way. Enjoy your new adventures. Tell us all abut it plase, things like new places to eat, that will give you ideas to share. Places you've seen and love.
kades

Back
Top Bottom