Leather soles sold as steak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carlless

Assistant Cook
"HI" See food &:LOL: it. How do you tenderise suppermarket beef ? If you have the answer please help.

Are you talking about a particular cut of beef? There are plenty of steaks bought at supermarkets that are just fine. So, I think we need a bit more info before we can answer your question.

Stake for Shoes

:( "HI" Some asked what cut? What goes for rump and sirloin,in most,not all, suppermarkets under hung to fresh beef. How much baking soda do I need to
tenderies the beef and how long should I soke it.Please Help. Your(Well
Shod but hungery)mate Carlless.

How do you want to cook it? Fast? You can marinate a tough cut of meat with a tenderizer mix, especially one that contains Papain. But the easiest thing to do is get a good meat mallet and pound it down with the triangular tines on the head. Just beat the meat till it is uniform in thickness, then grill or braise.

But really, if you want a steak, get a cut like Chuck Eye steaks (inexpensive and tender) or rib eye or strip. Over the top, and pricey, get filet mignon.

The key to softening tough meat is low temp, and long cook times, especially with liquid (braising) present.

Good grief, I could approach this in a number of ways.

When I grew up in Brooklyn I knew almost nothing about beef.

But then as a teen I went to work in a supermarket part time. Forty years ago rules were different, and if you worked hard you could find yourself doing all sorts of chores in the place.

Even doing some simple cutting of meat (someone had to cut the meat when the butcher disappeared for an hour or two to be with his latest lady friend).

And I was always friendly with the customers. Not having any idea what you are doing is not always an impediment to serving the customer - sad to say.

But it was another number of years after that before I learned what cut of meat was tasty and how it should be cut and cooked.

My education with cooking, and particularly meat cutting, has been in fits and starts. I envy and appreciate those who have had a formal education in the field.

To the poster, you cannot just go to the store and buy a 'steak' and go home, cook it in any way you feel appropriate, and expect success.

But cooking is not rocket science or brain surgery and if I can learn something about it so can you.

i feel like i'm watching the history channel every time auntdot posts. :)

good stuff.

hey, i think we've gotten the point. how DO you tenderize your beef? or, how do YOU tenderize your beef?

i've only recently gotten into enzymatic tenderizing, like the use of papain or yoghurt.

how well do fruit enzymes work, like pineapple or papaya, and how well does a yoghurt marinade work on beef? approximate times?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom