Looking forward to some good advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

devoncook

Assistant Cook
Devoncook is my handle and this is my first posting. Although I am requesting advice on a particular cooking activity it is my intention to stay around the forum to listen and learn and part with some of my own recipes.

My wife and I are shortly to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary and are going to have a diner party at home just for our family which totals 17 in all.

We are going to cook topside of beef and the weight of one piece will be 2.8kgs. Cooking time on the package is quoted as 2.55 hours at 200c.
(Another joint is being cooked on a rotissery )

My question is;

If I cut the piece in half and cook both pieces at the same time in the main oven(each piece then weighs 1.4kgs) does this mean that cooking time is then 1hr28 minutes?

Or will cooking time have to be aggregated to make 2.55hrs. again?

img_230694_0_918bb57594fe7abca68d755bd2837d82.gif

hmmm.. I'm not sure about it... don't you have a roast thermometer? I would check the inside temperature until it is ready.

In my opinion time will get shorter, but I don't think it will exactly be the half...

btw: Welcome to DC :)

Welcome to the site. We are so happy that you found us and even happier that you plan on sticking around :)

Cooking meats by time is never the way I would recommend. Time can vary depending on too many factors. The best was to cook meat is by using a thermometer. A probe thermometer is best because you can put the probe in the meat and then set it so that an alarm goes off when you reach the desired temp. They are not terribly expensive and a very important kitchen tool in my opinion. They generally run about $30 US or so. If you don't want to spend that much then you can just get an instant read thermometer for a fraction of the price.

There really in no accurate way to say that if you cut the meat in half then the cooking time will be 50%. There are just way too many factors such as accuracy of your oven temp. Temp of the meat as it goes into the oven. Shape of the meat. Where the hotspots are in your oven. And that is just to name a few.

thanks for the we come.

I have always been satisfied cooking beef by the timing method.
Its the mind puzzle that if I place a piece of beef in oven that weighs 2lbs, I know it will be cooked enough for me @180c at 25 mins, a lb plus 25 mins. extra.
So if two pieces are put in an oven weighing 2lbs.each is it still 75 minutes roasting time?

Devon, welcome to DC! Do you have a cookbook, like Delia? she tells how long you should cook per pound. I am at work so don't have access to my cookbooks. Take a peek, something like 15 minute per pound rare + 20 mins for med...gosh, can't remember! follow the directions for cooking by the pound, check the temp before ending your cooking time to make sure it's how you like it! and congrats on your anniversary! 50 years is quite an accomplishment!

It makes you think though?

If you have a large piece of beef and the required cooking time is 3hrs. by cutting it in half you can then reduce cooking time by half and still have the quantity needed.

You can't cut the cooking time in half as easily as you cut the size of the meat in half. Yes, the time will decrease some, but not as much as you'd think. Here is one of the better explanations that I found out there which explains why it's so much better to rely on reading the temp of the meat to determine doneness instead of relying on just a timer.

Afterall, the recommended length of time is just a best-guess estimate on how long it will take to reach that magic temperature. =) Why not take the guess work out of it entirely and use a thermometer.

Without a meat thermometer, you’re taking a bit of a gamble. The size and shape of the meat, the amount of fat and bone, how the meat was aged and other factors affect how long it should cook. In fact, more and more cookbook authors have given up the practice of putting a roasting chart in their books..

Cooking at a constant oven temperature of 300°F (160°C), a 5- to 8-lb standing rib roast will take 17-19 minutes per pound for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 minutes for medium, and 27-30 minutes for well done. A sirloin roast of 8- to 12-lbs will take 16-20 minutes for rare, 20-22 for medium rare, 23-25 for medium, and 26-30 for well done. A boneless top round, by contrast, will take 28-30 minutes for rare, 30-33 for medium rare, 34-38 for medium, and 40-45 for well done.

If you roast at 325°F (160°C), subtract 2 minutes or so per pound. If the roast is refrigerated just before going into the oven, add 2 or 3 minutes per pound. We won’t even attempt to suggest times for the initial-hot-oven cooking method.

After the roast comes out of the oven, let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes, which allows the juices to become more evenly distributed within the meat and makes it easier to carve. The temperature of the roast will rise 5° to 10° after you take it from the oven, so if you are using a thermometer, you should take it out a bit before it reaches the desired temperature.

:heart:
Z

Last edited:
Thanks for the responce to my question.
If it had been possible all would have been invited to the dinner on the 11th March. :)

middie said:
wow 50 years !!! Congratulations !!!!!!!!
Welcome to Dc !

Thanks, I would be pleased to do the fifty years again or another 50 years, its easy after the first 49. we both do as we are told.:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom