Macayos- Pollo con espinaca

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

red4you

Assistant Cook
Hey there... newbie here. Not sure if any of you guys have a Macayos Mexican restaurant around you... I live in Las Vegas, NV. They have this dish there that I am completely in love with, it's called Pollo con espinaca. I have searched all over the web but have not had any luck in finding a recipe that sounded right. The recipes that I find usually have olives or jalepanos in them and that does not match what I get at Macayos. Has anyone ever had this or know of a recipe? Its basically chicken, sour cream or cream cheese, and spinach served in a pipping hot small baking dish with a side of tortillas beans and rice. I usaully skip the tortillas so I can devour more of the cheesy goodness! Thanks and Hello!!!

It's not stuffed. The chicken is cut up in small pices and mixed in with the spinach and cream cheese/sour cream mixture. It come in one of those little baking dishes from Pampered Chef and is bubbling hot. ... Oh, so good!!

According to their menu:

Savory Baja sauce and spinach top a tender grilled red-pepper chicken breast. Served with pico de gallo and flour tortillas.

Next time you go there ask them what is in the sauce mixture - find out if it's the white queso, or cream cheese...they might tell you some basics.

...and Welcome to DC!

Here is an espinaca dip recipe that might help.

Hi red, welcome.

Gotta tell you from my experience with Mexican recipes, even in Mexico, they just give you the basics like the pollo and espincaca (spinach) and leave you without a clue to the additives.

But you have the basics, the chiicken, cream cheese (and mixed with sour cream works), and the spinach.

Try a batch on your own. And go back to the restaurant and see if you can detect a difference and try to determine what that is.

Have no better idea, sorry.

Thanks auntdot... maybe I will have to ty a batch on my own. I think I will def. need to go and try it out first before to make sure I remeber the taste correctly. ;)

I'm also in the las vegas area, and I have been dying to get this particular recipe. I've tried duplicating it for the past 8 years and have come close but still no cigar. I know it is chopped chicken and sauteed spinach with a mix of cream cheese, sour cream and some sort of VERY finely diced pepper if not just the juice from a pepper. Then it is topped with a shredded white cheese and broiled for about 15 minutes. I tried a couple different peppers but they don't have quite the right taste. I think Jalapeno may be the winner. I also tried Tobasco at one point, but that definitely wasn't it! Maybe together we can figure out the key!

Last edited:
Hey Trispell, always nice to meet a fellow Las Vegan!!! I will definatly let you know if I get adventurous and try to break the mystery of this recipe on my own.

Back
Top Bottom