Natural Health Enthusiast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Green Lady

Senior Cook
HI Everyone,

I consider it a God-send that I came across this web-site a few days ago. You have already helped me immensely!

I have been in the market for a dual fuel SS convection range, 30", and have been going crazy trying to decide.

Fifteen years ago when we built our house I installed a Thermador dual fuel range w/convection, SS Thermador hood, Thermador dishwasher, Thermador trash compactor all at the advice of my CKD. The trash compactor died after a year. We got another one (don't remember if it was another Thermador) but it died a few short years later. When the range was about 7 y.o., my then 13. y.o. daughter was boiling a pot of water for pasta (she was just learning to cook). The pot overflowed and the electronics were burnt out because the burners were sealed and the well wasn't deep enough. Couldn't be repaired. The DW died a few years later also and was replaced by a Miele (good choice). Out of all of those Thermador appliaces, only the pro-hood remains.

Back to the range. I had spent more on the range than my builder allowed for ALL of the appliances in the kitchen. I was so ticked I decided not to ever buy another high-end range. So......I replaced the Thermador with a black glass-top electric GE Profile. Not a great idea either. It takes forever to boil a pot of water on it. The convection feature died about 2 yrs. ago (we just never bothered to get it fixed). The glass cooktop has the bridge burner lit when I don't want it lit.

Now we are installing hardwood floors in the kitchen and granite countertops. It seems like a good time to replace the GE Profile. Going to appliance stores leaves me with a headache. Every salesperson has a different spin on what I should buy.

I love the look of the Viking and Wolf ranges but didn't know if I could justify the cost. Reading the opinions of all of you who wrote about this very thing gives me confidence to go ahead and get a Wolf (who could resist those red knobs anyway?). A BIG THANKS to ALL of YOU for your experience and non-partisan opinions!!!!!!!

What kind of natural health are you enthusiastic about?

And welcome, its a wonderful site!

HI Lulu,

I love natural whole foods and all that is God-given to us in nature to enhance and maintain our health, including sun, fresh air, exercise (which I am lax on, I admit). I also take whole food supplements, too, instead of dead vitamin and mineral pills.

I find it fascinating to learn about the way God designed our bodies and if we honor His plan, our health will improve. I also love using essential oils which give me a feeling of being nurtured and of well-being.

A few years back my friend and I gave raw food un-cooking classes. It was interesting but lots of prep work to do it gourmet-style. Right now I am trying to find a happy medium between raw and cooked.

Live Well, Naturally!
SV

susan velon said:
HI Lulu,

I love natural whole foods and all that is God-given to us in nature to enhance and maintain our health, including sun, fresh air, exercise (which I am lax on, I admit). I also take whole food supplements, too, instead of dead vitamin and mineral pills.

I find it fascinating to learn about the way God designed our bodies and if we honor His plan, our health will improve. I also love using essential oils which give me a feeling of being nurtured and of well-being.

A few years back my friend and I gave raw food un-cooking classes. It was interesting but lots of prep work to do it gourmet-style. Right now I am trying to find a happy medium between raw and cooked.

Live Well, Naturally!
SV

Do you have some raw food menus. During the super hot days, I would like to have something to serve besides Gatorade.

susan velon said:
StirBlue,

Do you want menus or recipes? Please clarify. Thanks.

Basically I don't know anything about this. I don't know what foods are to be used and which foods to combine for a meal. And what foods would be needed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This summer I would like to have an alternative to microwave cooking and outdoor grilling. We tried vegetarian foods in January and found many cool recipes that we liked and still use. But we also love hamburgers, ham & pineapple pizza,...etc. I have also been a natural whole food person from time to time. I love to bake from the health food perspective and it can be so good. Health food brownies are the best. Our grocery store remodeled and now we have a complete line of these foods. How did you introduce your students to raw food un-cooking?

Hi StirBlue,

Have you ever tried making a healthy smoothie for breakfast or lunch?

The way I introduced my students when I conducted an 8 week seminar was every week to demo a new food item for them to sample.
The demand was there and then my friend and I conducted monthly raw food uncooking classes. We would have about 22 people in attendance each paying $30 for a food prep class and then a sit down meal afterwards served on real dishes, real flatware, and cloth napkins. Everyone enjoyed it but it was labor intensive since many of the recipes were very gourmet and we worked on the program starting with food shopping on Tues. am until we had the food show on Fri. pm.

StirBlue, I could send you a few recipes in about 2 weeks. Tomorrow AM some workers are coming to tear up the ceramic floors in the kitchen and then install and finish hardwood. It'll take a good week and a half or two before I am back to normal (whatever normal is!). I may not have access to my computer or recipes for awhile with everything torn up. We have to vacate the house for a few days so......if you are not in a big hurry, I am willing to share more with you if you are willing to wait.

I can certainly understand remodeling projects. It is much more than the extent of being inconvenienced, it's more like being temporarily displaced. There is definitely no hurry. We have carpet in our kitchen! It has been rather odd to get used to but then when you drop something, it usually does not break. Even odder yet, we don't have that many spills??? Smoothie's are very popular in our area. I have not made a health food shake in a long time. We have made many fruit smoothie's of course. As for lunch it has basically been what is called a tomato frizzell smoothie. When my son was conditioning for sports he absorbed many high protein vanilla shakes along with a well balanced diet. Since my younger son took some culinary classes in high school he is much more open to new foods. I use many herbal medicines and like to steep a pot of tea. I wish you well with your remodeling venture and will look forward to your return to DC in a couple of weeks.

Spa Water

Here is a hot day thirst-quencher you might like.

Spa Water
1 quart cold water
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced (seeded or non-seeded "english" cucumber)
3 slices of lemon

Put the ingredients in a pitcher and stir.

I got that one out of "Small Changes Big Results" by Ellie Krieger

StirBlue, thanks for your understanding.

And Jessica, thanks for the recipe, sounds good!

jessicacarr said:
Here is a hot day thirst-quencher you might like.

Spa Water
1 quart cold water
1/2 cucumber, peeled and sliced (seeded or non-seeded "english" cucumber)
3 slices of lemon

Put the ingredients in a pitcher and stir.

I got that one out of "Small Changes Big Results" by Ellie Krieger

Susan, I make this same water. The only difference is I use several sprigs of fresh mint versus the lemon. I let it "marinate" for a few days and let me tell you - that is SOME refreshing water. Thanks for posting this - it is a perfect summer thirst-quencher!

Both versions sound super. :)

Do you strain the cukes/lemon and or mint out of the water, or do you fish the cuke out with a fork and munch on it? I've never heard of this before but it sounds sooo refreshing for hot summer days.

That was a silly question....I'm sure either way is great. rofl

Last edited:
Half Baked,

I only recently learned of it,
but when I make it I will make it in a pitcher, leave the cuce and lemon in, pour it in a glass while the cuce and lemon/mint stay in the pitcher. :)

StirBlue said:
Do you have some raw food menus. During the super hot days, I would like to have something to serve besides Gatorade.

For StirBlue,

It's been a couple of weeks since I promised to get back to you on this question. Been busy having hardwood floors installed, granite countertops, etc. Thanks for your patience.

Anyway, here is an idea or two for you. Why not try a fruit smoothie? Let your imagination be your guide. In a high powered blender (I use a VitaMix) add some frozen fruit, sweetener (honey, stevia, raw dates) , liquid (water, soymilk, rice milk), banana(makes it creamy). If you want it to be really healthy you can add some protein ie., Greek yogurt, raw almonds, almond butter, cashew butter, tahini (raw sesame butter), peanut butter and/or raw flax seeds (for your Omega 3's). You might want to toss in a few ice cubes. Also add a little vanilla for flavor.

Another idea: Try a raw soup. In the high powered blender add some fresh greens (ie. romaine, never iceberg), onion, garlic clove, water, seasoning, carrot, tomato, gr. or red pepper, parsley. Whirl in blender until smooth. This is just an idea jogger. Add whatever you have on hand or whatever suits your fancy. If you whirl a few minutes it takes out the chill from the "soup" by slightly warming it. Refreshing on a hot day!

Either of these concoctions can be a quick meal. Use your imagination!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom