Need Help with Convection Oven Cooking Times and Temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ione French

Assistant Cook
I have just moved into a rental home with a Jenn-Air Convection Oven. They didn't leave any booklets on how to bake in the oven and I have been burning every thing. Today it was a cheese cake. I have been cutting time back,but am not sure how far to cut it back. Is there anyone out there that can help me! Or can you give me the name of a good cook book the deals with convection Ovens.
Any and all help would would be great
Thanks Ione

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds to me like your first step would be to get an oven thermometer to make sure the temp is properly calibrated. Most ovens have a way to change the dial settings to match the actual temp. Also, convection ovens do cook most foods faster than a conventional even. Perhaps the Jenn-Air website has directions for your model?

BTW, welcome to DC!

Welcome to DC!

As said, make sure the calibration is correct. Also, you need to adjust the temp lower for a convection oven. Rule of thumb is a decrease of 25(F) degrees.

I had this same situation when I got my "new" stove a few months ago. Had never used a convection oven before. Tattrat is right - when using the convection feature, reduce your oven temp by 25 degrees and you may need to reduce your cooking time, too. I start checking when it's about 75% of the way through the cook time. Also, I've been finding that some foods come out much better using the convection feature and some not as well (Stouffer's frozen lasagne, for example). Also, as Bullseye and Tattrat have pointed out, you really need to get an oven thermometer so you can verify what the temp actually is.
HTH

Hi, Ione. A couple of years ago Buck and I purchased a Jenn-Air dishwasher at a local thrift store. Needless to say there was no instruction manual. We contacted Jenn-Air and after giving them the model number and serial number, they were able to give us the age, manufacturing information and instructions for it. You might do the same thing after clicking on the link I've posted. Good luck.

We were very pleased with the response we received from the folks at Jenn-Air.

I LOVE roasting red peppers and I found out that you don't leave the oven door cracked when the broiler is on - it shuts off!!!! :blush:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom