New and in need of help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lisab222

Assistant Cook
Hey, everybody!

I'm a newbie from Minneapolis . . . and it's COLD here . . . as I'm sure you all know from watching the weather channel.

So, I've been making stock for years but have run into something I'm not sure about. Made stock from our thanksgiving turkey, didn't get around to getting rid of the bones and ended up freezing the stock and bones together. Question is: Is the stock still okay?????

Thanks to all and I'm excited to take a look around at all the other stuff on this awesome site.

Lisab222

I don't have much experience in this but it seems to me that it should be fine. The bones have been cooked well and there shouldn't be any problem with bacteria. If the stock is frozen properly, I think you should be able to remove the bones upon thawing. I'm no expert so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Lisa, welcome to DC! Hope you can find some nice recipes here for your frozen stock. Have lots of fun meanwhile.

Lisa, welcome to DC! And don't worry about your stock, its fine. I put my stockpot outside in the winter all the time and the bones freeze in there. I just reheat til it thaws and take them out then. No big deal at all.

Hi Lisa and welcome to DC! I am not sure about freezing bones and stock together. I've only frozen the stock and discarded the bones afterwards.

Alix, now why would you put your stock outside to freeze rather than sticking it in the freezer? Just curious. I guess the obvious reason is, because you can since it's so cold there right?

Back
Top Bottom