New from Memphis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spwhitt

Assistant Cook
Hi all!

I have been watching posts for some time. Decided to jump in and say hello.

Any good ideas for a traditional New Year's meal?

Hmmmmm, I don't have any ideas for a good meal, but I am sure all the great chef's on here will have something for you!

Welcome to the board, I am pretty new myself, but I am sure you will love it as much as I do!

spwhitt said:
Hi all!

I have been watching posts for some time. Decided to jump in and say hello.

Any good ideas for a traditional New Year's meal?
Hi! Traditional in Memphis? Well, don't forget the blackeyed peas :) Pork roast (crown roast would be nice but not necessary), gravy made from the pan drippings, turnip greens (or collards, if you prefer, although I like turnip better), biscuits for that gravy, cornbread, banana pudding for dessert.

BTW, Memphis is the mid-south, not the deep south ;)

Happy New Year!

Fraidy <--- in Cordova

FraidKnot said:
BTW, Memphis is the mid-south, not the deep south ;)...

Well, that's what the TV stations say anyway. My experience is that it's a pretty fuzzy line and Cordova and East Memphis are mostly north of it, and Frazier and Midtown south of it. The lines are very blurry!

In any event spwhitt, welcome aboard and I look forward to the time that someone figures out a way to hail you in a way that has another vowel or two.
:)

Last edited:
skilletlicker said:
Well, that's what the TV stations say anyway. My experience is that it's a pretty fuzzy line and Cordova and East Memphis are mostly north of it, and Frazier and Midtown south of it. The lines are very blurry!

In any event spwhitt, welcome aboard and I look forward to the time that someone figures out a way to hail you in a way that has another vowel or two.
:)

Yeah, but the lines are drawn at the Memphis City Limits. I moved out of Memphis to get away from the gunshots. Mayor Willie didn't do any favours by incorporating a formerly peaceful Hickory Hill, in which I lived for 14 years. I hated having to call 911 all the time so I moved and kept moving away from the City limits. And will continue to do so as long as "King Willie" is reelected.

Aside from that, the deep south is down towards southern Alabama and the Mississippi gulf coast, Louisiana, the lower Carolinas on the coast... ;) Memphis is the mid-south. Tri-states: East Arkansas, West Tennessee and northern Mississippi.

Fraidy

Hey spwhitt, the conversation between Fraidy and me is not usual in this forum. Whatever neighborhood or suburb you are from, I welcome you to the forum and promise that we are not as confrontaional as it might have first appeared.

Last edited:
i've found foodies are often very passionate people in many areas of their lives, and it comes thru the computer at times.

have you ever tried chatting with accountants? :)

welcome spwhitt.

umm, i hope you're not an accountant.

and i like your member name. more of a sound than a name, like the nike whoosh.

Back
Top Bottom