New guy from Iowa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melvang

Assistant Cook
Good morning.

New guy from Iowa. I don't cook professionally and my only jobs in restaurants were as a dishwasher and that was over 20 years ago. Either way, I love to cook and enjoy cooking (most weekends) for a group of friends that come over on Sat evenings for tabletop RPGs. Mostly, I like cooking in my smoker (Oklahoma Joe offset charcoal) and mixing different ethnic types. For instance, use an Italian dish and season as Mexican. Either way, off to post my questions.

Quick question. My wife recently had the bariatric sleeve surgery (released to full foods and exercise), do you guys have a subsection related to cooking for this or other including this for dietary needs? I am willing to cook almost anything, just another set of eyes to look for recipes and/or substitutions to try.

Welcome!

I grew up in Cedar Rapids.

There are forums for some dietary needs (diabetes, for one) but not for bariatric, I don't think. But if you tell us what her parameters are, we can possibly be of help. Many of us are experienced cooks and some know a good deal about nutrition.

Last edited:
Good morning.

New guy from Iowa. I don't cook professionally and my only jobs in restaurants were as a dishwasher and that was over 20 years ago. Either way, I love to cook and enjoy cooking (most weekends) for a group of friends that come over on Sat evenings for tabletop RPGs. Mostly, I like cooking in my smoker (Oklahoma Joe offset charcoal) and mixing different ethnic types. For instance, use an Italian dish and season as Mexican. Either way, off to post my questions.

Melvang and Mrs. Melvang, welcome to DC. It doesn't bother me a bit to put cotija on spaghetti or parmesan on enchiladas. You'll find like-minded cooks here.

I don't have any experience with bariatric surgery but do keep pretty close track of the macro and micronutrients in my cooking, often posting macro summaries. There are a number of us trying to lose weight or deal with various conditions affected by diet.

Back
Top Bottom